Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
At one time this thread about a trade with Seattle was a great thread, with all sorts of good ideas for changing the trade, what would happen if the trade was made, was it a good trade etc.
Then someone said something about J.J. Redick and then it went into the toilet..........too bad! :(

I agree. Maybe we should just flush it. :)

I do like that people have different opinions on the Suns and their personnel as long as posters use logical arguments (not hate) for discussion and are not dead set on winning arguments that are frequently unwinnable. Also I think threads should generally remain on topic but remain flexible to allow some minor indulges. Also I do not think that the majority opinion should readily discount the minority opinion just because it is not popular among some posters.

Sometimes I think some posters believe (probably correctly) that if they can dominate the discussion with their opinion long and loud enough (and discount differing opinions) they win. I don't know what they win other than the ability to disrupt meaningful and diverging discussion and the input of additional information. Actually, I think some would-be posters may get intimidated by this sometimes dominant, win at all cost discussion.

In regard to the discussion about JJ Redick, after awhile I just got tired and stopped reading as some posters had their own agenda. They seemed to be generally having fun, but at some point perhaps it could be suggested by the moderator that they might want to start a new thread just on that subject.

Anyway, I would especially like this Board to steer away from the win, win, win mentality. I like new ideas even if I do not agree with them.

I really enjoy the Board but I do not like the occasional negativity when I think we should all be enjoying talking about the Suns.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BuddyFranklin said:
Cheese, you have lost the plot with all your Marion bashing. How can you say Shawn can't cover Lewis when in every game against the Sonics this year Marion dominated Lewis.

I understand that we will surely have to let Marion go, simply for financial reasons but to just take away everything this guy has done for this team is an utter joker. Overall he had a career year and some massive games... you couldn't have asked for much more considering all the circumstances that surrounded us this season.

If indeed Shawn goes, it will a shame because Stat and Marion were lethal together, but even I understand he is overpaid and that to keep him with our current line-up is going to be almost impossible.

Marion has been a GREAT player for the suns. Show a little respect rather than acting like such a fare whether bandwagon fan.

I don't judge a player off ONE season - besides the fact that you're wrong about Marion dominating Lewis in EVERY GAME this year - outscoring him by one and two points in two of the four games. Granted, Marion had very good games in the other two, but just last year, Lewis worked over Marion in every game, avergaing 25 to Marion's 18.

And there's no reason to start throwing "fair-weather fan" crap out there - I want this team to freaking win and I believe this deal will help achieve that objective.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I don't judge a player off ONE season - besides the fact that you're wrong about Marion dominating Lewis in EVERY GAME this year - outscoring him by one and two points in two of the four games. Granted, Marion had very good games in the other two, but just last year, Lewis worked over Marion in every game, avergaing 25 to Marion's 18.

And there's no reason to start throwing "fair-weather fan" crap out there - I want this team to freaking win and I believe this deal will help achieve that objective.
true you can't judge any players based soley on how they play vs. the Suns. Isn't that how we ended up with Luc Longley?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I agree. Maybe we should just flush it. :)

I do like that people have different opinions on the Suns and their personnel as long as posters use logical arguments (not hate) for discussion and are not dead set on winning arguments that are frequently unwinnable. Also I think threads should generally remain on topic but remain flexible to allow some minor indulges. Also I do not think that the majority opinion should readily discount the minority opinion just because it is not popular among some posters.

Sometimes I think some posters believe (probably correctly) that if they can dominate the discussion with their opinion long and loud enough (and discount differing opinions) they win. I don't know what they win other than the ability to disrupt meaningful and diverging discussion and the input of additional information. Actually, I think some would-be posters may get intimidated by this sometimes dominant, win at all cost discussion.

In regard to the discussion about JJ Redick, after awhile I just got tired and stopped reading as some posters had their own agenda. They seemed to be generally having fun, but at some point perhaps it could be suggested by the moderator that they might want to start a new thread just on that subject.

Anyway, I would especially like this Board to steer away from the win, win, win mentality. I like new ideas even if I do not agree with them.

I really enjoy the Board but I do not like the occasional negativity when I think we should all be enjoying talking about the Suns.

Just a thought.

you don't like the occassional negativity? It's called reality man. Now if this were the Heat board and people were talking about needed changes, I'd agree with you, but we haven't won squat and one of our best players has a huge contract and has come up lame in two straight WCFs. There's gonna be some negativity directed in that direction. Besides, if everyone was just "enjoying" the Suns you'd have a ton of 3 post threads with one post and two thumbs up signs. I don't you know about you, but that ain't interesting to read.

This thread has almost 300 posts on it alone - I think you can say a thread with 300 posts isn't driving anyone away and is actually in the midst of a lively debate/discussion, which is what I thought message baords were supposed to be for. And if people feel "intimidated" by a thread or poster I've got to wonder if they're just taking this whole thing too seriously. What exactly are they afraid of? Getting involved in lively debate? Wasting a lot of time (that's what I'm usually afraid of)? I mean, do people's feelings actually get hurt because someone else thinks your opinion is wrong?

And bottom line, if there's particular posters you don't like to read, you can always use the ignore button.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I agree. Redick reeks of bust, and has "Casey Jacobsen" written all over him. I would be pissed if Phoenix drafted him.

I wouldn't say bust and compare him to Casey Jacobsen. I think Juan Dixon is a better comparison.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone found any sources indicating whom the Suns have tried out and could be so enamored with that they'd trade up to 10? Rodriguez maybe?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BuddyFranklin said:
Cheese, you have lost the plot with all your Marion bashing. How can you say Shawn can't cover Lewis when in every game against the Sonics this year Marion dominated Lewis.

I understand that we will surely have to let Marion go, simply for financial reasons but to just take away everything this guy has done for this team is an utter joker. Overall he had a career year and some massive games... you couldn't have asked for much more considering all the circumstances that surrounded us this season.

If indeed Shawn goes, it will a shame because Stat and Marion were lethal together, but even I understand he is overpaid and that to keep him with our current line-up is going to be almost impossible.

Marion has been a GREAT player for the suns. Show a little respect rather than acting like such a fare whether bandwagon fan.

sorry, i can't help myself, a "fare whether" bandwagon fan? forget the misuse of the wrong words, that's even a misuse of the concept of bandwagon fan!

and don't base your entire opinion of someone on one thread or string of threads. you're obviously pretty new. cheese respects what marion's done for the team, but he's also a realist and knows marion's limitations and tendency to come up short in the wcf's. sometimes you gotta let something that you love go for the betterment of the team. that's where cheese is coming from. some of the people that carry the same sort of sentiment you're sharing would have been against the horny and trash for barkley deal b/c of what horny did for the team. those same people would have been wrong then too.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
1. I said that just because he said that doesn't mean I believe it. I just thought you were not representing the qoute in the context he used it. He used it to say he has no plans to move Marion, where if someone read just the part you wrote it would seem like D'Antoni is planning on trading him.

2. Where did I ever imply what I thought had any impact on message boards outside what I post? I don't have any idea what you're getting at.

I wasn't debating what you said, you applied a different tone than what I intended. I was just speaking in generalities.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and breathe easy folks - tomorrow is a cheese-free day as I will be in glorious downtrodden Hollywood moonlighting in my secondary means of income as "part-time game show contestant" on the new quiz show STARFACE hosted by Danny Bonaduce! Hopefully I win another 7 day trip to Hawaii (broke my cherry winning my first trip on Shop Till You ****'N Drop back in 2003)! Until later, keep arguing and fight the good fight!

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
sorry, i can't help myself, a "fare whether" bandwagon fan? forget the misuse of the wrong words, that's even a misuse of the concept of bandwagon fan!

and don't base your entire opinion of someone on one thread or string of threads. you're obviously pretty new. cheese respects what marion's done for the team, but he's also a realist and knows marion's limitations and tendency to come up short in the wcf's. sometimes you gotta let something that you love go for the betterment of the team. that's where cheese is coming from. some of the people that carry the same sort of sentiment you're sharing would have been against the horny and trash for barkley deal b/c of what horny did for the team. those same people would have been wrong then too.

Oliver, When you compare the Barkley trade to acquiring Rashard Lewis, i chuckle... alot... and then I stop reading... lucky for you, you wrote that at the end of your post. Good for you...and your brother... RESPECT. :thumbup:

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
and breathe easy folks - tomorrow is a cheese-free day as I will be in glorious downtrodden Hollywood moonlighting in my secondary means of income as "part-time game show contestant" on the new quiz show STARFACE hosted by Danny Bonaduce! Hopefully I win another 7 day trip to Hawaii (broke my cherry winning my first trip on Shop Till You ****'N Drop back in 2003)! Until later, keep arguing and fight the good fight!

Goodluck! Thats sounds like fun.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BuddyFranklin said:
Oliver, When you compare the Barkley trade to acquiring Rashard Lewis, i chuckle... alot... and then I stop reading... lucky for you, you wrote that at the end of your post. Good for you...and your brother... RESPECT. :thumbup:

you mistake my comparison then . . . i'm not comparing the relative values, i'm comparing the fans' sentiments in regards to loving a player and hating to see him go, but letting him go for the betterment of the team. am i comparing horny to marion? no. and i'm not comparing the impact of getting lewis to barkley either. it's more the appreciation for the outgoing player and the realization that the result of the trade may outweigh the sentimental attachment.

props for the "oliver."

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you mistake my comparison then . . . i'm not comparing the relative values, i'm comparing the fans' sentiments in regards to loving a player and hating to see him go, but letting him go for the betterment of the team. am i comparing horny to marion? no. and i'm not comparing the impact of getting lewis to barkley either. it's more the appreciation for the outgoing player and the realization that the result of the trade may outweigh the sentimental attachment.

props for the "oliver."

Understood...

Interesting days ahead for all us Suns fans. I understand the financial dilemma’s and see the trade as something to serious consider going forward, but boy we are real close with this unit!

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

How much did that 7 day Hawaii trip end up costing you out of your own pocket? Just curious. :grabs:

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
panfolk said:
Has anyone found any sources indicating whom the Suns have tried out and could be so enamored with that they'd trade up to 10? Rodriguez maybe?

Not that i've heard anything from any sources, but I'm calling Brewer as the guy they're targeting. Rumors of us trying for 10 and 13 is where everyone has projected the guy and i figure they're trying to get the 10th pick because of orlando or maybe some other team's interest in him.

Besides...Brewer has suns player written all over him - multiple skills and positions, athletic, passing/playmaking, funny-looking shot, etc...

I figure that if they're looking for someone off the bench for their backcourt, they'd want someone that can handle the ball but also play alongside Nash in certain line-ups.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
How much did that 7 day Hawaii trip end up costing you out of your own pocket? Just curious. :grabs:

a lot - but that's because I'm a functioning alcoholic. It was all expenses paid - so anything at the HYatt Regency (which was freaking sweet and right across the street from the ocean) was comped... unfortunately, everything at Duke's was not!

Oh - and taxes were a nice chunk of change also - but meals, airfare, hotel for a week for a little more than a grand total with taxes and booze was well freaking worth it. Not to mention, the episode is probably one of the funniest things anyone's ever seen on a Gameshow... the laugh track BOOED me when I said I was an Arizona Cardinals fan - talk about no respect... the LAUGH TRACK!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
David Griffin just said all the Marion rumors have been started by other teams that call in for him and been rejected.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you really think a Suns official is going to say Marion's on the table right now? The guy's ego is fragile enough - can you imagine if Griffin said he was being shopped and then nothing happened? (not saying you believe him or not or making a judgement on your post - just more of a question in general).

Hell, I think we all remember a MEGA-STAR being talked about as not being "untouchable" - it led to one of the worst trades in NBA history - his name was Shaquille O'Neal. Kupchak destroyed any value/leverage he had when he uttered those words and our front office ain't that stupid.

It should be an interesting couple days.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Take this for what its worth but both Griffin and Paul Coro have said that the rumors are false and that Marion will be on the team next year. Griffin said that if they weren't overwhelmed the're not going to trade him and that is unlikely to happen this offseason

Griffin also mentioned names as to who impressed them during draft workouts: Rodriguez, Rondo, and Brown.

So this rumor appears to have been killed like many before it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Take this for what its worth but both Griffin and Paul Coro have said that the rumors are false and that Marion will be on the team next year. Griffin said that if they weren't overwhelmed the're not going to trade him and that is unlikely to happen this offseason

Griffin also mentioned names as to who impressed them during draft workouts: Rodriguez, Rondo, and Brown.

So this rumor appears to have been killed like many before it

see my post above. It would be flat out stupid to say Marion's on the table.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
do you really think a Suns official is going to say Marion's on the table right now? The guy's ego is fragile enough - can you imagine if Griffin said he was being shopped and then nothing happened? (not saying you believe him or not or making a judgement on your post - just more of a question in general).

That I would typically take as GM speak but having a reporter that covers the team on a regular basis repeating the same thing makes me believe that the rumor was false

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well he also said he's never been offered anything significant for Marion. He went on to say he expects Marion to be in a Suns uni next year. Also Paul Coro also said every Marion trade info he gets is from outside the Suns.

Griffin very well trade Marion but I don't think he feels any of the rumored deals are enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Paul Coro works for the Republic not the Suns and he said the rumors were false.

and you think the Suns would let a possible Marion trade slip out and get screwed like they did letting a trade slip out early again, like they did last year with Knicks? I think that's highley unlikely. Especially if what Sunstzu says is ture about Coro getting all of his info from everyone BUT the Suns.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it just seems like there's an awful amount of smoke swirling around Marion. Like I said, it'll be an interesting couple days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05