Pistons at Suns, 12:30 PM MST on ABC

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Small Pre-game article from Pistons writer

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/02/pistons_gear_up_for_shaq_suns.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pistons gear up for Shaq, Suns

by A. Sherrod Blakely Sunday February 24, 2008, 12:28 AM

You must be registered for see images
AP PhotoThe Suns are hoping Shaquille O'Neal, right, is the missing piece to their championship puzzle.
PHOENIX -- When the Phoenix Suns traded for Shaquille O'Neal earlier this month, Detroit Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups was among those shocked by the move.
For years, Phoenix has been the embodiment of the Western Conference's uptempo, run-and-gun style.
Adding O'Neal, who moves about as quick as a melting polar ice cap these days, seemed a radical departure for them.
It seems the Suns are now thinking what Billups and most of the elite teams in the East figured out a while ago.
"I think teams have conceded that that run-and-gun style is cool, but in the thick of things, you gotta be able to play halfcourt basketball if you're serious about winning a championship," said Billups, who cited the Los Angeles Lakers trading for Pau Gasol as another example to strengthen his point. "In the playoffs, you have to be able to execute in the half court. We've seen that run-and-gun stuff will only take you so far in the playoffs."
Phoenix still gets up and down the court with sprinter-like speed compared to the rest of the league, and often looks to score early in the shot clock. The addition of O'Neal might take away from that a bit.
But even with a slower big man in the middle whose game is on the decline, the future Hall of Fame center still has a post presence that can cause problems at both ends of the floor. In addition, O'Neal at center also frees up All-star Amare Stoudemire to play his more natural power forward position.
"It's going to be interesting to see how they incorporate him into their style of play," said Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations.
The Pistons will be one of the first to see this new-look Phoenix squad, as they begin their four-game West coast trip with a nationally televised afternoon matchup today with the Suns.
Making matters worse for the Pistons is the fact that they're down one big man after Thursday's trade which sent 7-foot center Primoz Brezec to Toronto for Juan Dixon, a 6-3 combo guard who had three points in his Pistons debut on Friday.
"Is there ever a good time to play Shaq?" said Pistons forward Jarvis Hayes. "Shaq is always a handful, no matter who you got."
In the past, the Pistons have used a bevy of big men to wear O'Neal down. Saunders said the team's approach to dealing with O'Neal probably won't be all that different, despite having one less big man.
"We'll play him pretty much the same way," Saunders said. "He's not the focal point of the offense in Phoenix, like he was in Miami. So we'll have to wait and see how he is, and what we have to do."
Added Hayes: "They're still able to get up and down the floor, and can run with the best of them," he said. "I'm kind of excited about this because this is definitely a different kind of Phoenix team than what we're used to playing."
On the road again
With six of the next seven games on the road Friday's win over Milwaukee was a huge plus for the Pistons heading into yet another brutal stretch of their schedule. "You never want to go away from home for a long time with the taste of losing in your mouth," Hayes said. "Hopefully we can keep doing the things we did (Friday night) out West and get a few more wins."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Rasheed will be a tough cover for Shaq today.
Billups is a tough matchup all-around.
This game concerns me.

same here. i think we should put amare on rasheed so we can keep up with him on the perimeter, maybe. shaq can cover mcdyess. i think chauncey will probably abuse nash, but then again nash will probably get his as well. we'll see how it goes. potential finals matchup here, so we need to be clicking out there.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score

VS.

Probable Starting Lineups:

The Detroit Pistons

C - Rasheed Wallace
PF - Antonio McDyess
SF - Tayshaun Prince
SG - Rip Hamilton
PG - Chauncey Billups

The Phoenix Suns

C - Shaquille O'Neal
PF - Amare Stoudemire
SF - Grant Hill
SG - Raja Bell
PG - Steve Nash

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
i honestly think shaq and amare will combine for 60 points. sheed cant cover shaq, and mcdyess cant cover amare. this is going to be fun. but then again its going to be hard for shaq to cover sheed.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Pistons 83 Hamilton
Suns 92 Amare

Just like Boston, Detroit has a bunch of undersized low post thugs that they try to pass off as centers. But nobody except for Sheed even has anything close to the length of a true center. They'll try to swarm around Amare and Shaq when they post up, to make up for that deficiency, but I predict it won't work out well for the Pistons. Looking forward to an absolutely huge afternoon from the Suns front court players.

edit: Oh yeah, and if the Suns outrebound the Pistons as badly as they outrebounded the Lakers and Celtics over the last two games, then we're really going to be onto something. :)

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the suns got drank by the pistons at home last year.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns win and it's real basketball not that ugly physical crap like the Celtics played.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
O/U for this game is 200. I would bet the over

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
O/U for this game is 200. I would bet the over

No kidding? I would take the under on this game because of the defense that both teams will be playing. Then again, let's not discount the possibility of a 151-50 Suns victory. ;)

Hmm...must...place bet...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i honestly think shaq and amare will combine for 60 points. sheed cant cover shaq, and mcdyess cant cover amare. this is going to be fun. but then again its going to be hard for shaq to cover sheed.

Somebody is going to have to cover Sheed defensively besides Shaq because Sheed is an excellent outside shooter.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Somebody is going to have to cover Sheed defensively besides Shaq because Sheed is an excellent outside shooter.

it will probably be amare, because he can keep up with him on the perimeter. if he goes to the block, amare will have shaq for the help defense. shaq can cover mcdyess without too much effort. Billups is going to be our real problem defensively. But then again (if barbosa plays), they have no chance to cover him either.

Pistons- 94 Billups
Suns- 102 Amare

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Im feeling very optimistic today

Suns 112

Pistons 95

Amare

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Is anyone else uncomfortable with all this pre-game love we're getting from the ESPN crew?

I feel like I'm being set up for a let down against a poised Pistons team that's been together for years.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Is anyone else uncomfortable with all this pre-game love we're getting from the ESPN crew?

I feel like I'm being set up for a let down against a poised Pistons team that's been together for years.

As long as Bill Walton still hates the Suns, we're fine.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would anticipate(hope) that "the Skinner" sees some minutes in the event that Rasheed/McDyess gets Shaq/Stat in foul trouble today.
He's sort of dissapeared lately after a strong start this year. He hasn't played very well the last month or so but i'd hate to see his role reduced to becoming a cheerleader.
GO SUNS BABY!

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Ugliest quarter they've played in a long time.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
yep, this is just as bad as i thought it would be. we have serious problems if we meet this team in the finals.