Play GM : What do you do with M. Leinart?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
trrrrrrrrrade. Draft a young QB in the fourth round or something this year, or get one in the first 2 next year. Find a diamond in the rough who can play Whisenhunt ball once Warner is done.

Bobcat

Reaction score
you keep Leinart as a backup. He's got 2 years left on his deal (I think) and you don't assume Kurt is going to live through the season.
I'm all for the Cards offering a solid deal to Kurt, but with Leinart available for duty...he's ready to roll.
I'd take that 10 mill that was going to be placed at Warners step and resign Q and Wilson with that.
It would leave me a bunch of money to go out and upgrade via Free Agency.
The hole would be we'd only have Matt at Qb with St. P as the backup. I could live with it.
If you don't think Matt is ready to roll after watching Kurt take over and lead them to the Super Bowl you are so wrong. He's ready to go.

I totally agree...!!!:)

BOBCAT

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
When is this $15 million bonus due next year? I think this fact can make a HUGE difference on what you do. If it is due by Mar 1st that means you only really have 1 month from the end of the season in which to re-negotiate or trade him otherwise you have to pay or cut him and get nothing in return. If this is the way it is then you either need to trade him or renegotiate now with the idea of him become in the starter somewhere in 2010/2011 if the coaching staff has faith in him. If the bonus isn't due until the start of training camp then you have some leverage because he would miss the main portion of free agency and lose out on a lot of money if his agent can't find a trade partner during free agency first.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
The Cards should have let Warner go.

There is now $19mm tied up in a 38 year old QB and there is less than a 5% chance of getting back to the SB next year.

Should have used the Warner money to fill holes and give the job to Matt.

Too late now and this will come back and bite the Cards

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So you guys who want to trade him:

Would you have traded Steve Young 2 years before Montana left for KC?

Not saying Matt is the next Steve Young, but we picked him top 10, paid him a crapload of $$ to hold a clipboard/learn from a great veteran, and you wanna bailout now??

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
And everyone who wants to jettison Leinart will be screaming why when Warner goes down with an injury and St Pierre is the number 2 QB. We never should have re-signed Warner and should have given the keys to Leinart.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm in favor of keeping him but if you get offered something like the 34th pick you have to consider moving him.You could always draft a guy like Rhett Bomar in the 3rd/4th round and groom him for 2 years.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
We keep him, a lot can change in a year. The only problem I see is, he isn't going to want to restructure or extend his contract. He will want to go to another team and try and start. I doubt he'll be happy waiting for 2 more years. So unless our FO offers him a hugh contract with huge guarantees he isn't going to do it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep worry about next year, next year. Lots change in a year.

That's how we got into the Fitz mess last year. I think you need to be proactive when staring down a 15M roster bonus.

freebyrd

Reaction score
i think i would lose my mind if he was traded to another team and end up having a hall of fame type career

we don't even know what we have in this kid i think he needs a shot warner is no long term answer as everyone knows

and i doubt were going too the superbowl next year that almost never happens
i would let warner play out this year and pull him if he starts stinking it up

then i would cut warner and start matt next year