Post-trade happy thoughts and pre-trade jitters....

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Post-trade:

I am stoked about the acquisition of Jim Jackson. The dude is a baller and can line up 30 on any given night. We got that explosiveness without giving up jack. CJ may occasionally blow up for 12 points, but Jim J can triple that. On top of that, he's built like a friggin power forward! He can board, he can defend, he can handle, he can shoot, he can create and he can pass. Sounds a lot like our other JJ. I'll tell you what, I would take a team comprised of 12 Joe Johnsons any day. The dude is good.

Pre-trade:

Are the Suns gearing up for another move? I'll tell you who I WOULDN't trade:
Nash, Marion, Stoudemire, Johnson and Jackson. Conspicuously absent from that list is Richardson. I would trade him before any of the other guys because of that stupid head thump thing and that 38% shooting thing. However, let's be real and just say that he can't be traded because of the message it could send to future FAs. So, add Q to that list. That leaves us with Barbosa, Voskuhl, Hunter, Shirley, Parker, Outlaw, draft picks and the rights to Vujanic. I really like Voskuhl, Hunter and Parker, but let's assume that any trade would improve the team.

Trading Joe J is scary to me. The dude is really rounding into great form. I love how he can just break people off the dribble and create his own shot. He has such good control of the ball that he can get out of the tightest spots on the run. He's just a superior baller.

Dalembert is VERY intriguing, though. Remember Olajuwon and Thorpe? Well, I think Stoudemire and Dalembert would be that frontcourt updated for the new millenium, albeit a bit smaller. I know there's no way PHI trades us Sam D for our bench (even all of them, all the picks and Milos). I just wish this was Q's second year here already. As it stands, Joe is the only real tradeable commodity. Count me as one of the few who can't make his mind up.

I guess I'll just have to be happy with whatever happens....

PS - Can't we get Zo cheap from TOR? A couple of 2nd rounders? It's a risk, but I'd love to have him on our bench. I would also bring in Malone. He's a great player, like him or not....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I also go back and forth on a trade that would essentially swap JJ for Dalembert. However I always come back to the fact that his team has been incredible so far when they are healthy, and JJ is one of the key components. It just doesn't make much sense to change things. And that was before the sun's acquisition of Jimmy Jackson. I'm not canceling him in for sixth Man of the year, but I definitely believe he upgrades the bench. He should be able to step in for any of the three swingmen in the starting 5 if they are injured or just having a bad game.

Furthermore since this trade idea was mentioned by Mark Stein the other day I did not believe it was much truth to it. Now BC himself has said they are not trading JJ. It's just not going to happen people. Without trading one of the starting 5 the Phoenix Suns simply don't have enough to give to get Dalembert. It would be nice, but it's not going to happen. :(

Good post, Seeds of Hate.

Joe

sunsfn

Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Post-trade:
Pre-trade:

Conspicuously absent from that list is Richardson. I would trade him before any of the other guys because of that stupid head thump thing and that 38% shooting thing. However, let's be real and just say that he can't be traded because of the message it could send to future FAs.

PS - Can't we get Zo cheap from TOR? A couple of 2nd rounders? It's a risk, but I'd love to have him on our bench. I would also bring in Malone. He's a great player, like him or not....

In the movie Godfather, the Corleone family is discussing wether to kill a cop. Michael says where does it say that you can not kill a cop, especially a crooked cop that has ties to the mob. We have newspaper reporters that would really like to get a scoop like that, and we have newspaper reporters on our payroll. So, lets do it and blame it on a bad cop!

In trading Q where does it say that other free agents would not come to the phx. suns if we traded him. There has to be an owner in a trade that would say he really wanted Q and asked the suns if they would trade him for his center name Dalembert? So, lets trade him for Dalmebert and say the owner really wanted him or we would not have traded him!

P.S. I just watched the movie Godfather epic, the one that includes all three and is in chronical order, and it is a great movie. :)

Also, the way to get Zo will be after Toronto buys him out and then pay him the minimum to play............That is not going to happen though, and neither is Malone......these guys are too old for this team right now.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Intriguing trade so far....but waiting for time to pass. Jackson has been traded 12 times....WHY? Coaches say they love him and so do the players...hogwash....a loved player is never traded 12 times in approximately a 12 year span. Something doesn't wash out here. Maybe too many players on a team with the same skills. I guess there is an overabundance of 2-3 players around the league with the same "quality" ability.

OP
OP
Divide Et Impera

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
OK, let's get one thing clear right now, everyone. Malone and Zo may be old in age, but they are tireless athletes and legendary gym rats. They would not slow this team down. I saw Malone run the break just fine last year in LA. Malone has always been the perfect trailer his entire career. Besides, a buch of people are pimping Elden Campbell and he was slow as hell when he was young. Gimme a break guys....

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
minercon said:
Intriguing trade so far....but waiting for time to pass. Jackson has been traded 12 times....WHY? Coaches say they love him and so do the players...hogwash....a loved player is never traded 12 times in approximately a 12 year span. Something doesn't wash out here. Maybe too many players on a team with the same skills. I guess there is an overabundance of 2-3 players around the league with the same "quality" ability.

He's played for a lot of bad teams over his career. Bad teams usually are trying to rebuild, so they dump older players and try to start over very frequently. I think he turned the corner in SAC and accepted his role as a bench player, but there just wasn't enough minutes for him. I think he played great in HOU last year averaging 13pts, 6rbs, 3ast, 1stl, and shooting 40% from 3pt land. I think he's a great fit for this team coming off the bench and playing 20-25 min/gm.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Pre-trade:

Are the Suns gearing up for another move? I'll tell you who I WOULDN't trade:
Nash, Marion, Stoudemire, Johnson and Jackson. Conspicuously absent from that list is Richardson. I would trade him before any of the other guys because of that stupid head thump thing and that 38% shooting thing. However, let's be real and just say that he can't be traded because of the message it could send to future FAs. So, add Q to that list.

Who cares about the message it sends. Is it a different message than signing Marbury to an extension and then trading him in January. To me the message is if you do not fit in with the core, you may be traded. In both cases Q and Marbury, they were both given the best contracts that the market set, this is a business and a team. One side sets the financial parameters, the other sets the team parameters. The players and the agents get their financial objectives, the team wants to reach organizational goals, wins and championships, sometimes they don't match and players get traded, that's reality.

If we have the core of Amare, Nash, JoeJ and Marion tied up for 5-7 more years are we really in need of any high profile free agents. No. All we will need is add new players through the draft and role players through FA. So who cares what message it sends. I think Q is fair game to trade.

jibikao

Reaction score
minercon said:

It is true that Jim Jackson doesn't stand out anymore but it is also true that we do not have deep bench players at all. Jim Jackson's "normal" skills will still be much better than Barbosa or any of our bench players. I am sure he will contribute and that will be precious to us!

If Jim Jackson can play 20mins per game, it will be a treasure. He can take away some mins off Joe Johnson, Q or even Nash. Jim Jackson can dribble, can penetrate and can shoot and EVERYONE knows that. People will not leave Jim Jackson open like what people did to our bench players.

Suns does have not an overabundance of talented players. We only have The Five and now we can have a good 6th man. I wouldn't find if Jim and Q swat starting lineup in certain situations. :)

And another good thing is it sounds like D'Antoni likes Jim so he may play him more!

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One reason I wanted to sign Jon Barry in the off season is that you need veterans coming off the bench. Obviously with LB, CJ and Hunter being the main reserves that does not constitute experience. JimJack will be a huge improvement in leadership and production.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you guys think that Philadelphia is eager to trade for another shooting guard who shoots a sub 40% average? You can discuss it all you want, but at the end of the day Q is not going to be traded this year.

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
What makes you guys think that Philadelphia is eager to trade for another shooting guard who shoots a sub 40% average? You can discuss it all you want, but at the end of the day Q is not going to be traded this year.

Joe Mama

Joe,
I do not think Philly wants another shooting guard either. They would have to make other trades for that to happen.

And, Q probably will not be traded this year.

But, to say you can not trade Q is wrong!
He can be traded........he probably will not be, but,,,,he can be traded.

The idea that that sends a bad message to other free agents is baloney, owners in this league do not really care what others think if there is a chance to help their team and they will make a trade of any player that can be traded.

I believe Dalembert will be traded before the deadline and it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Joe,
I do not think Philly wants another shooting guard either. They would have to make other trades for that to happen.

And, Q probably will not be traded this year.

But, to say you can not trade Q is wrong!
He can be traded........he probably will not be, but,,,,he can be traded.

The idea that that sends a bad message to other free agents is baloney, owners in this league do not really care what others think if there is a chance to help their team and they will make a trade of any player that can be traded.

I believe Dalembert will be traded before the deadline and it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Joe said that he won't be traded this year. Not that he can't...

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Joe said that he won't be traded this year. Not that he can't...

YES, you are right, I meant that as a general comment to what some are saying about not trading Q, and should have indicated that in my post.

Sorry Joe. :(

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
YES, you are right, I meant that as a general comment to what some are saying about not trading Q, and should have indicated that in my post.

Sorry Joe. :(

Chap pointed out that I did not say "he can't be traded" in that post. That is true. However in all fairness I have said he can't be traded in other posts. Of course it's possible. It's just I think it would take an extraordinary deal to do it. It would have to be something that was just too good to pass up. It definitely sends the wrong idea to free agents who would think about signing with the Phoenix Suns. Generally speaking these guys are looking for a little security and not just in the financial sense.

Marbury's trade is not a good example of the organization trading someone they had just re-signed. They knew that Marbury would love to go to New York. If Q was from Philadelphia and had openly talked about how he dreamed his entire life about playing in Philadelphia you could draw the comparison. Otherwise it is not the same.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
OK, let's get one thing clear right now, everyone. Malone and Zo may be old in age, but they are tireless athletes and legendary gym rats. They would not slow this team down. I saw Malone run the break just fine last year in LA. Malone has always been the perfect trailer his entire career. Besides, a buch of people are pimping Elden Campbell and he was slow as hell when he was young. Gimme a break guys....

That is true, especially concerning Malone. Plus, he can come back toward the end of the season--even after the trade deadline. His body will be healthy and more rested than he has been at any time in his career.

Malone is going to play this year, he's just waiting to see which team it is. He would add alot to the Suns in a playoff run.

Still don't like him, though.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone in life takes chances and Q did with signing with the Suns.....but I would be quite furious if the Suns traded me just after I bought a 6 million dollar home on Mummy Mountain. Most expensive homes in the valley go from 1.5 mil to 3 mil. Not easy to dump a 6 mil home.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
minercon said:
Everyone in life takes chances and Q did with signing with the Suns.....but I would be quite furious if the Suns traded me just after I bought a 6 million dollar home on Mummy Mountain. Most expensive homes in the valley go from 1.5 mil to 3 mil. Not easy to dump a 6 mil home.

It's not that difficult. I just sold mine last week. :)

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
minercon said:

:doi:

There are a lot of 6 mil homes in the valley.

It did not stop the suns from trading Hardaway who owned a 6-7 mil home.

Come to think of it, I am not sure the suns would take that into consideration for trading a player??
I can just here the conversation now, BC, man I do not know if we can ever trade Q, he owns a 6 million dollar home and he would have to sell it if we traded him...........nope, I guess we are stuck with him now!

:violin: :violin:

sorry minercon, I just could not resist this.

jibikao

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
It's not that difficult. I just sold mine last week. :)

Joe Mama

You have a 6mil house?!!!

How many here are millionaires? I am not one definitely. My friend and I started our small business, trying to sell stuff online. hehe

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Marbury's trade is not a good example of the organization trading someone they had just re-signed. They knew that Marbury would love to go to New York. If Q was from Philadelphia and had openly talked about how he dreamed his entire life about playing in Philadelphia you could draw the comparison. Otherwise it is not the same.

Joe Mama

If Marbury did not want to be in Phoenix, he did not have to sign the extension. He was obviously thinking he would spend more time in Phoenix than 6 months after re-uping. Q did not just visit Phoenix over the summer and never stated that it was his ultimate destination, it was money, playing time and possibly winning that helped make the decision. Q is like everyone else, vulnerable to the organizations plans, even if those plans change six months after his commitment. There are plenty of players that would love take his place and if the Suns trade Q will have no problem signing with Phoenix even though they "dissed" Q. Everyone is out for their own self interests and certain organizational moves speak for themselves and players and agents know that.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
If Marbury did not want to be in Phoenix, he did not have to sign the extension. He was obviously thinking he would spend more time in Phoenix than 6 months after re-uping. Q did not just visit Phoenix over the summer and never stated that it was his ultimate destination, it was money, playing time and possibly winning that helped make the decision. Q is like everyone else, vulnerable to the organizations plans, even if those plans change six months after his commitment. There are plenty of players that would love take his place and if the Suns trade Q will have no problem signing with Phoenix even though they "dissed" Q. Everyone is out for their own self interests and certain organizational moves speak for themselves and players and agents know that.

I honestly don't know why I continue to argue this point. I just can't help myself.

Nobody said that Marbury had a desire to get out of Phoenix or did not want to be here. That wasn't the point at all. The Suns knew that they could trade him to New York because he had spoken openly about his desire to play for the New York Knicks. If they had traded him to Atlanta I guarantee he would have raised a big stink about signing an extension and being deceived. It would definitely have left serious doubts for future free-agent.

Phoenix and the Phoenix Suns organization is an attractive place for free agents. These guys won't want to sign here though if they think there's a possibility they will just be traded away, possibly to an unattractive team. Do you really believe that Q would be happy if he was traded to Philadelphia?

Look, we can argue all day about whether or not it's a bad idea to trade a free agent who just signed with a team. In the end you will be wrong and the rest of us will be right. I'm sorry. It's as simple as that. The Phoenix Suns are not going to trade Quentin Richardson this season.

Now I'm really done with this thread. :)

Joe Mama

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JoeMama

I guess my point is that Q visited Denver and Denver needs a shooting guards. I don't think he would be too upset if he got shipped off to Denver. Yes, I believe he might have a problem being traded to Philly, I think any player would. Whot would want to pry the ball away from Iverson and who would want to play in front of the Philly fans for half a season. And you are right about Marbury and the Knicks in that it was a destination that he did not mind.

Still if the question is about the orginizations motives in trading him 6 months after signing an extension, I just see it the same as trading a FA that they signed 6 months ago.

maybe you'll come to the thread one more time but this is my closure.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
the best thing

about the trade was NO MORE JACOBSEN.
He didn't really stroke the 3's, he was too slow driving the lane, he took too long to line up shots.
J Jackson may be old, but he looks to be in good shape and can still make shots and has good court vision.