Quick 1st Depth Chart Thoughts

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
1 - MHJ is the only rookie listed as a starter.

2 - Starling Thomas over Max Melton is something but not worth panicking over.

3 - Benson and Demercado at 2 and 3 at RB but Michael Carter is 5th. More cap savings on the way boys.

4 - WR spots seem pretty declared. Dortch over Jones in the slot role.

5 - Nice to see Palmer over Arias at WR.

6 - Beachum and Wilkerson at backup OTs is not ideal. I was hoping Christian Jones would have showed enough for the backup role. (after a little more thought...not a big a deal)

7 - Adams, Gaines, and Colon as the #2s inside is good for this roster. They should be.

8 - Great to see Darius Robinson and Stills as the 2s at DE/DT. It's an ok place for them to be.

9 - I am curious what the Cardinals do at NT. Is it really Lopez and Collier or will they switch things around (and how much).

10 - EDGE is bad.

11 - S and ILB look as expected.

12 - Elijah Jones behind Clark is a slight concern. Clark is 23 and Jones is 24. The idea behind drafting Jones is that he had a lot of experience so his floor was higher. It's early, but that along with Melton is something to keep an eye on.
Nice write-up.

A few comments….

6 - both our starting OTs Can play both sides. I’m Very comfortable with Beachum as starting RT. If both starting OTs are out it’s definately a concern.

3 - Carter need to be a Very Secure 3rd choice in order to make the team. You do not pay a 5 string RB 3.6M a year.

9 - this scheme doesn’t use the traditional NT role. Not concerned.

2,7,8,12 - That is the State of the roster and the stage of the rebuild.
We have a Very Good team if all the Young potential develop as hoped. Reality is that they Never do. Some do, some take longer, some only becomes solid and not Great, some become back-ups and some flop completely.

I am Very Very happy about having Thomas and Clark on the roster, But long term only to have Them as 4th and 5th CB. I expected Jones to take longer to develop based on his draft profile.

I am, however, concerned about Melton. Showing up to training Camp in a McLaren as a developmental rookie just raises all the red flags for me. Seen it too Many times in my life both in sports and academia where a person with God given talent never had to work on their skill and thus never realize that They have to put in an effort at the next level in order to make it.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have zero issues with Clark and Thomas. By all accounts, Starling has had a great camp, and Clark, for all of his woes has shown resiliency by earning the job. I would be livid, if two guys expected to make that second-year jump, failed to do so and were easily usurped by rookies. That being said, I love Max Melton and think he'll have no problems getting on the field and maybe bumping a starter ahead of him, but my own expectations is that our last year guys would work, improve and avail themselves well this year.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards Underground said that Big Mo was having a good camp and the only reason he'll get cut is because we have two draft picks we want to protect. (Maybe three if you count Gaines).

-- Speaking of Hayes (and we all know Paul Calvisi likes to), he had a sequence in one-on-one where he totally locked up Darius Robinson and then Dante Stills. Both those guys have played well. Hayes is a name frequently unsaid, but perhaps he makes a push.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-- Speaking of Hayes (and we all know Paul Calvisi likes to), he had a sequence in one-on-one where he totally locked up Darius Robinson and then Dante Stills. Both those guys have played well. Hayes is a name frequently unsaid, but perhaps he makes a push.
Kyler Murray didn't seem to be on the same page with some of his receivers on Wednesday,

Murray threw a near-interception in 7-on-7 to linebacker Kyzir White

I'm going to stay on this hard

Why does this warrant no reps in PS games?

If the players that didn't get to play start out rusty I'll be here posting about it

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would like to see them do away with ps games altogether. I don't think 10 to 20 reps in the pre season will necessarily get them ready for the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would like to see them do away with ps games altogether. I don't think 10 to 20 reps in the pre season will necessarily get them ready for the season.
I wonder if that's what will happen in the next CBA. NFL gets 18 games and the NFLPA gets rid of the preseason altogether.

As TV Money becomes exponentially more important than gate revenue, many teams will make that deal. The PS still exists because franchises are selling (Season) tickets at face value and then basically paying players a per diem.

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
I have zero issues with Clark and Thomas. By all accounts, Starling has had a great camp, and Clark, for all of his woes has shown resiliency by earning the job. I would be livid, if two guys expected to make that second-year jump, failed to do so and were easily usurped by rookies. That being said, I love Max Melton and think he'll have no problems getting on the field and maybe bumping a starter ahead of him, but my own expectations is that our last year guys would work, improve and avail themselves well this year.
Go Dbacks

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler Murray didn't seem to be on the same page with some of his receivers on Wednesday,

Murray threw a near-interception in 7-on-7 to linebacker Kyzir White

I'm going to stay on this hard

Why does this warrant no reps in PS games?

If the players that didn't get to play start out rusty I'll be here posting about it
You must be registered for see images attach

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Conner is RB 1.
Demarcardo is the blocking back.
Carter is the primary relief for Conner/home run threat.
Dallas is special teams.
Benson is the future.

If Benson can fill Carter's role right away, no need to keep him. If not, I see them keeping all five.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Conner is RB 1.
Demarcardo is the blocking back.
Carter is the primary relief for Conner/home run threat.
Dallas is special teams.
Benson is the future.

If Benson can fill Carter's role right away, no need to keep him. If not, I see them keeping all five.
You cannot take 5 RBs into the regular season. It'll be interesting to see if Carter plays in the preseason. I bet they'd love to trade him if they can get a Day 3 pick.

"Benson is the future" makes no sense in an RB conversation. Why can't/shouldn't he be in the Carter role.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You cannot take 5 RBs into the regular season. It'll be interesting to see if Carter plays in the preseason. I bet they'd love to trade him if they can get a Day 3 pick.

"Benson is the future" makes no sense in an RB conversation. Why can't/shouldn't he be in the Carter role.
Depends on if the team trusts him to fill that role in game 1.. if so, I totally agree that Carter is probably the odd man out in the room, but you obviously aren't going to try to push him to your practice squad. I think Dallas is pretty much a lock because of his special teams value and the big change to the kickoff rules. It'll be interesting to see if teams start earmarking a guy or two for special teams not unlike a long snapper. I'm don't think Dallas factors into the run game much at all, but he'll be a vital part of the roster regardless.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Depends on if the team trusts him to fill that role in game 1.. if so, I totally agree that Carter is probably the odd man out in the room, but you obviously aren't going to try to push him to your practice squad. I think Dallas is pretty much a lock because of his special teams value and the big change to the kickoff rules. It'll be interesting to see if teams start earmarking a guy or two for special teams not unlike a long snapper. I'm don't think Dallas factors into the run game much at all, but he'll be a vital part of the roster regardless.

What role? Getting 12 snaps a game? If Demercado is good (and I think this is a stretch/hopium), he can take those Conner relief snaps for 1/3 of the price of Carter.

Teams have always had 3-4 bottom-of-the-roster players for special teams. That's who/what Greg Dortch was; that's what Zach Pascal is (Pascal certainly isn't here because he can play wideout).

I think the likely outcome is Demercado to practice squad, Carter, Dallas, Conner, and Benson make the active roster and Benson might be inactive the first few weeks of the season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Agree...rb is one of the few positions where a rookie can make a huge impact. If Benson is ready he needs to get the ball

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Interested to see if he plays ST. If not it’s a clear sign that he is out IMO.
RB #3 and RB#4 has to play ST.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
He played 1 special teams snap last year.
I know. But he was 2nd RB start of the season with NYJ and became 2nd here when he arrived. No ST play for a 2nd string veteran RB.

This year is he lucky if he is 3rd by gamestart tomorrow with his main competitors for that 3rd spot being ST players.