Ric Bucher: Amare wants max, Suns say no

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Thank God! He's long over due to be moved....

Here's to hoping that we get a package back that actually opens up our future as a franchise....

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry no link
He was on Sportscenter talking about the situation.
Also stated Cavs aren't a serious trading partner

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God! He's long over due to be moved....

Here's to hoping that we get a package back that actually opens up our future as a franchise....

Nobody is going to give us anything without Amare agreeing to a deal for an extension. Team are probably going to require a sign and trade if they are to give up anything valuable.

There is probably some team out there willing to pay Amare the max. There always is. Chances are that team sucks and Amare will not play for them. Does anybody really think a contender is going to give up anything or pay him max?

Which means, Amare is going to go for junk or walk at the end of the season. I guess there is an outside chance he plays for that last year of his contract.

Speaking of overdue.....I think Nash is much more overdue then Amare. I could make a lot more arguments for keeping Amare around then Nash.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
If we pay max, pay it out to a guy who deserves it!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Nobody is going to give us anything without Amare agreeing to a deal for an extension. Team are probably going to require a sign and trade if they are to give up anything valuable.

There is probably some team out there willing to pay Amare the max. There always is. Chances are that team sucks and Amare will not play for them. Does anybody really think a contender is going to give up anything or pay him max?

Which means, Amare is going to go for junk or walk at the end of the season. I guess there is an outside chance he plays for that last year of his contract.

Speaking of overdue.....I think Nash is much more overdue then Amare. I could make a lot more arguments for keeping Amare around then Nash.

How? Nash is third in the MVP race and he is still shooting at a ridiculous percentage, passing well and doing what Nash has always done. It's not like he has slipped in his game.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How? Nash is third in the MVP race and he is still shooting at a ridiculous percentage, passing well and doing what Nash has always done. It's not like he has slipped in his game.

Easily. You have a veteran at the end of this career that has no shot of making your team a contender or really taking you anywhere.

This is not about Nash's individual talent or All Star status. This is about the future of the franchise, where we are going and what we can do to stock pile talent.

There has never been a better time to trade Nash IMO. You can't build around Nash whatsoever. However, I could make the argument, that you could add a bunch of defensive minded players around Amare and build around him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It also benefits Amare to help the Suns work a deal to another team. He and his agent know they can get a better deal with a current team than he can going to a new team as an unrestricted free agent.

Also all this garbage about teams just waiting til summer and signing a free agent without giving up anything is stupid. There are going to be about 10 teams with the cap room to sign a max player but only about 4 players worth paying max money.

Nobody wants to be the team offering David Lee a max contract just to keep their fan base from organizing a lynch mob.

If Kerr and/or Sarver have grown a pair between them lately they should be in a fairly strong bargaining position.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Easily. You have a veteran at the end of this career that has no shot of making your team a contender or really taking you anywhere.

This is not about Nash's individual talent or All Star status. This is about the future of the franchise, where we are going and what we can do to stock pile talent.

There has never been a better time to trade Nash IMO. You can't build around Nash whatsoever. However, I could make the argument, that you could add a bunch of defensive minded players around Amare and build around him.

IMO Nash should have been let go last year. If Kerr's smart he should trade him too. But Nash is not slipping as a player by any means. Yea he makes TO's but he also racks up a lot of dimes. That's all that I meant.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO Nash should have been let go last year. If Kerr's smart he should trade him too. But Nash is not slipping as a player by any means. Yea he makes TO's but he also racks up a lot of dimes. That's all that I meant.

I am not sure where the Nash slipping comment even came into play here. Also, I think if you trade Amare, Nash must go. You are conceding this team needs to be blown up anyway by trading away a legit big man.

I still think this is a league of big men. Where would San Antonio be without Duncan, Orlando with Howard, Lakers without Gasol. You need a legit big man for the most part in the NBA.

The Suns have a history of long droughts between big men that can play. I personally would hang on to Amare if you can't get a legit big man in return. Most of the trade scenarios I am hearing are complete junk in return. Maybe that is all we can get. I don't know.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I agree that Nash should go, too. We should get some minor assets and cap space in a trade of Nash. Maybe we'd have to take on a long term deal on a player who has an $8m contract, or something like that, but the goal should be to reduce the hit by several million.

My only reason for not banging the 'trade Nash' drum is that at least we know Nash gives an effort out there. He's a true competitor. Amare, however, is a loafer (as I have labeled him many times before). He is much worse for the team than Nash.

As for JRich, I'd love to trade him in the same manner we would do with Nash - reduce the salary, maybe not the term. At least JRich is young though. So, if we have to ride with him, that's a comparative advantage....

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also benefits Amare to help the Suns work a deal to another team. He and his agent know they can get a better deal with a current team than he can going to a new team as an unrestricted free agent.

You really think Amare can get a better deal from teams midseason then as a free agent???? The only teams that would be willing to go there are teams that are bottom feeders. Amare won't go to a bottom feeder. Bank on that.

Even if you could swing a 3 team deal that sends Amare to a contender. I just don't see any of those teams committing huge dollars to Amare long term.

Also all this garbage about teams just waiting til summer and signing a free agent without giving up anything is stupid. There are going to be about 10 teams with the cap room to sign a max player but only about 4 players worth paying max money.

Most of those teams are cash strapped even now so that would still leave a limited # of teams to trade to now. I am sure the thinking is that those teams would probably cut players, trade away players to clear cap space if they really wanted him. That is much more plausible to me then teams giving up the farm to make a deal work that would pay Amare the max.

Some team is going to have to give up a lot of talent and that means they are not a contender. Honestly, I can't think of very many scenarios that is going to satisfy both sides. Amare would have to go to play with the likes of D-Wade or something in a 3 way trade to make him happy.

It is going to be very complex to trade Amare and I hate to say it but I think the Suns are in a very bad situation. Utimately, they will be forced to take what they can get.

Which means, bank on a bad trade.....AGAIN.

Last edited:

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
They can have him! If we get nothing in return, at least 15-20 million of cap space isnt being wasted.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Ya, but if we let him walk we only have 7 million to sign someone, not 20. We aren't getting a starting quality PF for 7 million unfortunately.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Does he honestly think he deserves the max? He only plays on one side of the court!

It's about market price for you, not some absolute merit measure. If you believe you get lowballed with your team's offer, you don't sign an extension. JJ didn't, for example. Nor did Sprewell who had family to feed. It's their own risks. The rest is history.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/149670-bulls-clearing-space-for-stoudemire?eref=sihp

If we trade to CHI I would want Deng & Noah, screw Hinrich and Thomas. We need to start looking for trade partners for Nash, J-Rich & Hill. Just blow it up. I would keep Frye because his shooting touch for a big man plus his reasonable contract make him a keeper for now.

I don't think there is anyway we take back Deng's contract; it runs through the 2013/14 season with over $50 million still left to pay. Heinrich would just take time away from Dragic.

A trade for Stoudemire has to return young players, picks, and expiring contracts.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Amar'e won't get a max contract from a contender. They all have better players they have to pay more than Amar'e. If he thinks he's a max contract guy, will an LA, Boston, Cleveland, etc. pay him Max? no way! He will have to go to a team where he would be the top player to get the max contract. That's a non-contender! He can't want a max contract AND expect to go to a contender. That's where WE are screwed. He won't sign and trade for less than max AND to a contender. Then he will hit the free agent market at the end of the season and find this out. Meanwhile it screws Phoenix in a trade.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Whatever dudes, get this man out of Phoenix. I'm sick of his game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Whatever dudes, get this man out of Phoenix. I'm sick of his game.

It's a shame that it's come to that with Stat, but sadly it's true. Amare could have been a dominant player. The best example of this was in the WCF against the Spurs, where he completely dominated Tim Duncan and the Spurs. Microfracture definitely affected his athleticism and even worse, Amare still shows no heart. He can't take over games, and is at best a 2nd banana.

Hopefully someone will be tricked by the all NBA selections and reputation. The Suns have basically no leverage, and Amare is a max talent with a mid level brain and d league heart. Oh, and he also has a chronic knee problem. This will end poorly. If we end up with "Chairman Yi" and the pu pu platter, I may vomit.

SunsStatFan

Reaction score
Phoenix is obviusly NOT a contender, so why should Amare stay without a Max? He'd better choose a contender without Max.

Amar'e won't get a max contract from a contender. They all have better players they have to pay more than Amar'e. If he thinks he's a max contract guy, will an LA, Boston, Cleveland, etc. pay him Max? no way! He will have to go to a team where he would be the top player to get the max contract. That's a non-contender! He can't want a max contract AND expect to go to a contender. That's where WE are screwed. He won't sign and trade for less than max AND to a contender. Then he will hit the free agent market at the end of the season and find this out. Meanwhile it screws Phoenix in a trade.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love the nash haters, and I l'll love them even more when we have some crap ass player like barbosa running the point for us.