Rohan Davey...

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Is he actually any good? I am seriously DISTURBED about Navarre being #2 (well now that I think of him as #2 I can make a connection...but I digress)

I was just wondering if there is ANY chance that Davey can play and why maybe DG is not concerned about other options at the moment...kinda scary if TRUE, but I do not know ANYTHING about Davey...any thoughts?

OP
OP
JC_AZ

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
NFL Draft Profile for Davey

Prospect Profile
Rohan Davey Position: Quarterback
You must be registered for see images
College: Louisiana State Height: 6-2 Weight: 245 Hometown: Miami, Fla.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Improving passer known for his quickness and scrambling ability … Accurate in the short-range passing attack … Throws a catchable ball, showing solid mechanics and a quick, over-the-top release … Does a great job avoiding tacklers when rolling out of the pocket … Exciting player who makes things happen with his style of play … Strong, physical runner who has proved capable of buying time for his receivers with his scrambling ability … Effective throwing on the move and shows accuracy when going long … Sets up smoothly and shows good zip and velocity off both the front and back foot … His passes display nice touch and placement … Poised in the face of pressure, showing good pocket presence and mobility to step up or out as he absorbs hits and breaks tackles. Negatives: Has a history of injury problems, brought upon by his insistence of taking the sack, rather than throwing the ball away … Runs with authority, but needs to secure the ball better before turning upfield … While he shows accuracy on his deep balls, he will force the ball into traffic and makes the receivers work by coming back for the ball too often … Needs more experience and a patient tutor … His weight problems have affected his conditioning in the past … Looks heavy-footed at times … Needs to fine tune his reads and must work on lowering his delivery … Has good touch on his tosses, but lofts it too high at times … Can step out of the pocket, but is generally dragged down due to his lack of burst.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm really not as concerned with John being the back up as other people are. Sure, I would like to pick a FA like Brooks, Griese etc to be a back up in case Kurt goes down.

But you can do worse than John. He actually had a higher a QB rating than Josh did last year.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Redsz said:
But you can do worse than John. He actually had a higher a QB rating than Josh did last year.

He only had 24 attempts. That is a telling stat in and of itself. If DG had any plans of him being the #2 he should have played him in the Indy game.

I think Navarre as the backup is a smokescreen. It better be.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Navarre is awful and so is Rohan Davey. If they weren't then McCown would not have started after KW's second injury and Davey would not have been cut for a 45 year old man and a collegiate backup QB. 2nd string QB is probably the biggest hole on the roster right now considering Warner hasn't played more than 10 games in a season since 2001.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Wow, talk about covering your bases on this evaluation.

Positives:
"quick, over-the-top release"

Negatives:
"must work on lowering his delivery"

Positives:
"Does a great job avoiding tacklers when rolling out of the pocket"

Negatives:
"Can step out of the pocket, but is generally dragged down due to his lack of burst"

Positives:
"His passes display nice touch and placement"

Negatives:
"he will force the ball into traffic and makes the receivers work by coming back for the ball too often"

Positives:
"Poised in the face of pressure, showing good pocket presence and mobility to step up or out as he absorbs hits and breaks tackles"

Negatives:
"Has a history of injury problems, brought upon by his insistence of taking the sack, rather than throwing the ball away"

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
Wow, talk about covering your bases on this evaluation.

Positives:
"quick, over-the-top release"

Negatives:
"must work on lowering his delivery"

Positives:
"Does a great job avoiding tacklers when rolling out of the pocket"

Negatives:
"Can step out of the pocket, but is generally dragged down due to his lack of burst"

Positives:
"His passes display nice touch and placement"

Negatives:
"he will force the ball into traffic and makes the receivers work by coming back for the ball too often"

Positives:
"Poised in the face of pressure, showing good pocket presence and mobility to step up or out as he absorbs hits and breaks tackles"

Negatives:
"Has a history of injury problems, brought upon by his insistence of taking the sack, rather than throwing the ball away"

Perfect for the endless arguments for and against.

I wonder what McCown's says:
Positives = Smart player uses the most of his abilities
Negatives = Not that QB savvy and needs to better utilize his abilities.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Foxsports latest mock

MOCK DRAFT 3.0: Who will Saints take?
Story Tools:

Rob Rang / Sports Xchange
Posted: 1 day ago

New Orleans threw a wrench into the top 10 when it locked up quarterback Drew Brees for the next six years. Now the Saints are sitting pretty with a host of athletes to pick from with the second overall selection, or they can sit back and field offers from teams desperate to land one of the draft's elite talents.
Virginia left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson stands to gain the most from this shuffle, as he now has a legitimate chance to be the second player off the board. Meanwhile, Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart suddenly looks like a good fit for Tennessee, while the Packers have to be ecstatic that N.C. State defensive end Mario Williams - the draft's top defensive player - could slide to them at No. 5.

But the player who could feel the most painful ripple effect is Texas quarterback Vince Young, who was already free-falling before another team in the top 10 solved its quarterback situation.

Previous mock drafts: 1.0 | 2.0

MOCK DRAFT: Round 1
Pick Team Player Pos. School Previous Rising/Falling High/Low
1. Texans Reggie Bush RB USC 1st SAME 1st / 1st
As the draft approaches, the only question with the top overall selection will be if the Texans keep the pick.
2. Saints D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT Virginia 4th (+2) 2nd / 6th
With Drew Brees on board, the Saints should have options with plenty of players worthy of teams attempting to trade up. Should the Saints keep the pick, Ferguson, a potential Pro Bowl left tackle, fills the biggest need.
3. Titans Matt Leinart QB USC 2nd (-1) 2nd / 3rd
The Titans might have received a pleasant gift with Brees landing in New Orleans. Suddenly Leinart, who would reunite with former Southern Cal and current Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, could fall into their lap.
4. Jets Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt 4th SAME 4th / 9th
New coach Eric Mangini can put his stamp on the club immediately by selecting his own franchise quarterback as insurance against yet another Chad Pennington injury.
5. Packers Mario Williams DE N.C. State 5th SAME 5th / 5th
Williams may not make it this far, as many teams are grading him as the second-best prospect of the draft. But if the Saints keep the No. 2 pick, Williams could slide to the Packers.
6. 49ers Vernon Davis TE Maryland 10th (+4) 6th / 10th
The 49ers have to surround Alex Smith with weapons if they expect him to be successful. They replaced wide receiver Brandon Lloyd with free agent Antonio Bryant, but this offense needs a receiving threat over the middle.
7. Raiders A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State 7th SAME 7th / 7th
For Art Shell to return to the Raiders of old, he'll need more difference-makers on defense. There isn't a defender more likely to make an immediate impact than Hawk.
8. Bills Brodrick Bunkley DT Florida State 8th SAME 8th / 10th
Bunkley fits the defensive alignment of new coordinator Perry Fewell nicely and is moving up the board after a spectacular season, Senior Bowl and Combine performance.
9. Lions Michael Huff DB Texas 9th SAME 9th / 11th
With question marks at both cornerback and safety, a versatile defender like Huff makes a great deal of sense here.
10. Cardinals Vince Young QB Texas 3rd (-7) 3rd / 10th
Kurt Warner provided Eli Manning with a solid mentor his first season. He could provide Vince Young with a similar calming influence. Young could silence critics with an impressive Pro Day.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Thats what I said back then, what was the point of McNown playing that game, would have been a perfect opportunity to give Navarre some reps; if they dont want to play him its just a wasted roster space.

NEZCardsfan said:
He only had 24 attempts. That is a telling stat in and of itself. If DG had any plans of him being the #2 he should have played him in the Indy game.

I think Navarre as the backup is a smokescreen. It better be.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But the player who could feel the most painful ripple effect is Texas quarterback Vince Young, who was already free-falling before another team in the top 10 solved its quarterback situation.

That would be terrific. Cards backup QB would be Vince Young instead of Navarre or Davey. Cards install single wing offense featuring Young,James,Boldin and Femi in the backfield.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Navarre and Davey are untested and represent huge questionmarks - not exactly the way you want to go into next season at backup QB.

Regardless of whether or not we draft a QBOF like Young, Cutler, Croyle, Whitehurst etc., I think we need someone more seasoned that we can feel confident in as our #2.

seesred

Reaction score
I totaly agree with Jeff. Even if we draft Young and I'm not so sure that we do, we still need a proven back up with field expierance to take over when and if Warner goes down. A griese type and there are a few out there. Harrington comes to mind as a possable QBOF who has many games behind him. As far as Navaree goes he was a 7th round pick for a reason, he hasn't played much for two reasons, injury and lack of confidence. When Davy was signed I watched him on the sidelines and he looked lost among the team. Not even standing near the coach to learn what we were doing.

GBR

OP
OP
JC_AZ

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
What about Griese?

Is he going to demand a starting job and big $$$? I would think he has the ability to be mentored by KW and become a pretty decent option...:shrug:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Navarre is awful and so is Rohan Davey. If they weren't then McCown would not have started after KW's second injury and Davey would not have been cut for a 45 year old man and a collegiate backup QB. 2nd string QB is probably the biggest hole on the roster right now considering Warner hasn't played more than 10 games in a season since 2001.

Truthfully I have no idea about our two backup QB's. Some players when given an opportunity rise to the occasion in game situations. Let us just hope so if Kurt gets injured. I would think we should sign someone who has more experience to be on the safe side.