Round Two: Mavs vs. Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barring an epic collapse (Dallas is up 28 in the 4th), the Suns and Dallas are playing in the second round.

Matchups:

Jason Terry vs. Steve Nash
Terry has been hot, and is quite a scorer for Dallas. He will make Nash work on D. Terry cannot keep up with Nash either. Nash oils the machine better than Terry.

Advantage: Suns

Joe Johnson vs. Michael Finley
Two very similar players. Both great scorers, complementary players, and good defenders. JJ is a younger, bigger version of Fins. With rest and health and his favor. . .

Josh Howard vs. Quentin Richardson
Howard has size on Q but Q will run him outside. Q is a gamer that doesn't seem to be fazed at all by his first playoff run. Still, size matters some call it

Advantage: Tie

Dirk Nowitski vs. Shawn Marion
This is the big time right here. Two very good players. A small player who plays inside, and a big player who plays outside. These guys will be all over the court. Just trying to be objective. . .

Advantage: Mavs

Eric Dampier vs. Amare Stoudemire

Please.

Coaching: Suns advantage on experiece alone.

Bench: Advantage Mavs. Very deep bench.

Intangibles: The problem Dallas has is that they like to play the Suns style ball, but the Suns play it better. So, they have to reinvent themselves in order to beat the Suns. That is a tall order in the playoffs. Dallas cannot run with the Suns and they do not have enough time to strategize differently.

A hot streak and no rest vs. a hot streak and alot of rest. Besides getting themselves healthy, the Suns layoff does not give them any significant advantage. They will likely be rusty, but must win the first two game.

The basketball played in this series should be alot of fun to watch. Pulling, grabbing, and hard fouls should be fairly low (for the playoffs).

Melodrama:
Steve Nash playing against his former team.
Jim Jackson playing against his former team.
Michael Finley playing against his former team.
Shawn Marion was drafted with a Dallas pick.
Kidd sitting at home watching both teams play.

Last edited by a moderator:

mribnik

Reaction score
Whoa, confused me there for a second. I'm sure you mean Josh, not Juwan Howard. Looking forward to the series! Go suns!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This should be a fun series for the players. I don't think we will be seeing any low scoring games.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
mribnik said:
Whoa, confused me there for a second. I'm sure you mean Josh, not Juwan Howard. Looking forward to the series! Go suns!

Thanks for the correction, duly noted.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Dirk Nowitski vs. Shawn Marion
This is the big time right here. Two very good players. A small player who plays inside, and a big player who plays outside. These guys will be all over the court. Just trying to be objective. . .

I dont doubt the fact the Dirk will be a mismatch against Shawn but if i remember it right... doesnt Dirk have a hard time against Mairon?

It also seems like Dirk is not shooting well in the playoffs... hopefully this continues during the 2nd round

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
This is going to be a very tough series for the Suns. The games in the regular season were tight contests. They are deep. Deeper then Memphis and they play with great chemistry.

I think we can take them in 6 games but it's not going to be easy.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biclops said:
I dont doubt the fact the Dirk will be a mismatch against Shawn but if i remember it right... doesnt Dirk have a hard time against Mairon?

It also seems like Dirk is not shooting well in the playoffs... hopefully this continues during the 2nd round

I just didn't want to sound too much like a homer. I could easily make a case for the Sun's advantage at every position--including coaching and bench. Yes I said bench.

Steven Hunter vs. Bradley, Henderson OR Van Horn
Jim Jackson vs. Jerry Stackhouse
Leandro Barbosa vs. Marquis Daniels

Any players deeper than 8 on the roster don't matter in the playoffs. Hunter has given us as good a contribution as any of those 3. I'd take JimJackson over Stackhouse, and Barbosa and Daniels bring similar skills to the table (advantage Daniels).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've hoped from the start of the 1st round that we would be meeting the Mavs in Round 2.

Beating Dallas will leave us in better physical shape to take on the Spurs than if we had to handle Houston.

Houston . . . Dallas . . . San Antonio . . . Texas is certainly well represented in the post-season.

But Phoenix will knock 'em out to take on Detroit in the Finals. Don'tcha think? :thumbup:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Here we go..

Melodrama:
Steve Nash playing against his former team. One MVP Award and Revenge on the Mind.

Jim Jackson playing against his former team.. 8 teams later, revenge hindered.

Jason Kidd sitting on his ass watching both teams play= Priceless..

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
"Intangibles: The problem Dallas has is that they like to play the Suns style ball, but the Suns play it better. So, they have to reinvent themselves in order to beat the Suns. That is a tall order in the playoffs. Dallas cannot run with the Suns and they do not have enough time to strategize differently."

Dallas has known for a week who they will be playing. It is the Suns who have had to prepare for two different styles of play. And if any team knows how to play against the Suns and Nash it will be Dallas.

I am most concerned about game 1. Lots of hoopla, as well as the melodrama you so correctly listed. Tomorrow is the MVP announcement and Monday, I believe, Nash gets the MVP trophy prior to the game. After watching Dallas destroy Houston, they are going to look to build on their considerable momentum.

fordronken

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Steven Hunter vs. Bradley, Henderson OR Van Horn
Jim Jackson vs. Jerry Stackhouse
Leandro Barbosa vs. Marquis Daniels

Any players deeper than 8 on the roster don't matter in the playoffs. Hunter has given us as good a contribution as any of those 3. I'd take JimJackson over Stackhouse, and Barbosa and Daniels bring similar skills to the table (advantage Daniels).

Look, I think our bench is underrated. However, the Mavs is really a whole lot better. If they have a flaw, it's that it's too deep.

I like Jim Jackson. Jerry Stackhouse is better. Period.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think the suns should contain every mavs player. during the regular season, the suns let others torch them to sacrifice Dirk not going off.

but this time, suns cannot afford to have a finley or a terry going 30 on them, they'll find themselves in the losing end if thats the case. Unless another player in the suns steps it up and a bench player plays well at the same time.

mind thinks the mavs.
heart beats for the suns.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One major key will be three point shooting. Dallas is the 6th best three point shooting team in the NBA at 36.4% while the Suns are #1 at 39.3%. The Mavs have the best three point defense holding opponents to 33.0%. The Suns are 3rd, holding opponents to 33.5%. Against the Grizzlies, the Suns shot 45.7% for three while going 42 of 92. Against the Rockets, the Mavs shot 43.4% for three hitting 53 of 122.

Here is how the Mavs shot:

Game 1 L 86-98
Mavs shoot 5-13 for three but only 24-68 overall (35.3%)
Rockets shoot 6-16 and 37-73 overall (47.4%) (McGrady was 14 of 27)

Game 2 L 111-113
Mavs shoot 10-15 for three and 41-82 overall (50%)
Rockets shoot 9-18 for three and 40-73 overall (54.8) (McGrady was 10 of 19)

Game 3 W 106-102
Mavs shoot 8 of 17 for three and 33 of 68 overall (48.5%)
Rockets shoot 13 of 25 for three and 36 of 80 overall (45.0%) (McGrady was 10 of 27)

Game 4 W 97-93
Mavs shoot 9 of 20 for three and 33 of 72 overall (45.8%)
Rockets shoot 5 of 17 for three and 34 of 72 overall (47.2%) (McGrady was 13 of 26)

Game 5 W 103-100
Mavs shoot 6 of 15 for three and 37 of 79 overall (46.8%)
Rockets shoot 5 of 13 for three and 33 of 67 overall (49.3%) McGrady shot 7 of 22)

Game 6 L 83-101
Mavs shoot 7 of 26 for three and 31 of 86 overall (36.0%)
Rockets shoot 9 of 17 for three and 36 of 74 overall (48.6%) (McGrady shot 14 of 28)

Game 7 W 116-76
Mavs shoot 8 of 16 for three and 41 of 81 overall (51.3%)
Rockets shoot 3 of 18 for three and 29 of 82 overall (35.4%) McGrady is 10 of 26.

Statistically, Dallas has a pretty good defense over the course of the season. Their opponents shoot only 43.8% (7th best) when compared to the Suns who hold opponents to only 44.5% which is only 14th best. However, the Mavs struggled at stopping the Rockets who average only 44.3% shooting (which is 20th).

The Rockets had only one bad shooting game against the Mavs. By contrast, the Mavs had two horrible shooting games against the Rockets.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Eric Dampier vs. Amare Stoudemire

Please.

lol, the sad thing is some Suns fans (more the stupid ones) actually think Dampier is a very good player. And he is but that's only in contract years.
I have been trolling some of the boards and the Mavs fans pretty much feel split on the series but some of them are cracking me up

- Mavs in 5
- Nash is overratted
- Stoudemire only has Nash, he would even score 10 pts per game with out him.

Ok looks like these dudes are going to get another surprise introduction to Amares nuts on Dampiers face on a wam bam slam.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
melodrama is looking at mark cuban's face when steve nash is hoisting the League MVP trophy over his head.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
I've got the Suns in 6

Game 1 preview will be up hopfully tonight or tomorrow morning.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Man, I'm worried about this series. Dallas had as much talent as us and they play our style. It's almost deadeven... Though it seems Dallas is in this position almost every year... second round series against an tempo team - ala Sac Dal series of late.

I found it strange that most wanted Dallas. I would've thought houston would be the prefered choice for most. They have two guys... and thats it. Dallas has about 4 or 5 guys that can put up huge numbers, and their team chemistry seems very solid.

I know i'm stating the bleeding obvious, but we have got to PROTECT home court advantage. We've played so much better on the road latley but it's time we come out and make a statement at AWA.

When you look at our records vs Dallas and Houston.

Against Houston - In Houston we won every game, in phoenix we lost every game - (was it once or twice... i'm thinking we lost to them twice)

Against Dallas - We took both games in Dallas and lost against them at home. Finley kills us in Phoenix everytime it seems.

It's going to be a good series!

LeTs Go SuNs!!!!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Ok looks like these dudes are going to get another surprise introduction to Amares nuts on Dampiers face on a wam bam slam.
You must be registered for see images

Great mental picture!
My main concern is whether the layoff will help or hurt the Suns more - very good that it lets some nagging aches and pains recover a bit, and muscles refuel - and Dallas should be a bit fatigued - but the Suns have been known to come out flat initially even when the game matters a lot. So I'm hoping the 'circus' atmosphere will benefit the Suns - rather see them keyed up and overly excited at first, than cool and thinking they're already in control.

I'll be there destroying my vocal cords. Should be a fun game!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns in 7 - a wild and wooly series - one that gives all of us ulcers - but we prevail by the hair of our chinny chin chins!

DtownsFinest

Reaction score
Going into this series I don't like the Mavs chances. I think it's all up to how Dirk performs this series. Seeing how Marion has guarded him in the past i'm not too encouraged about seeing him play this series but you never know. Dirk may do the unthinkable. If Dirk performs well I like our chances in 7. It's definately gonna have to take a collective effort to keep up with the Suns.

Dampier isn't a bad defender. His problem is the screen and rolls the Rockets did and if that is the Suns game with Amare then I expect him to go off on us like Yao did. The perimeter guys for the Suns don't worry too much. I think our perimeter guys are just as good and can score just as effiecently as the Suns can.

It's going to be real interesting to see how the Suns deal with JET Terry. Last I remember when Nash was a Mav Jason Terry lit him up for 38. Jason Terry is hungry. He's never been in the playoffs but he likes it. I'd watch out for him Suns fans.

It's gonna be a good series though. As of right now i'm not sure how much fire power the Mavs have and if we could get KVH then it will definately be needed.

I'm gonna say Mavs in 7 just to me being a homer.:)

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DtownsFinest said:
It's going to be real interesting to see how the Suns deal with JET Terry. Last I remember when Nash was a Mav Jason Terry lit him up for 38. Jason Terry is hungry. He's never been in the playoffs but he likes it. I'd watch out for him Suns fans.

You remember wrong, he had 39 combined in the two games they played last season.....but Nash had 44. Nash also had 20 assists to Terry's 19 and Nash shot a considerably higher FG% than did Terry.

Let's not let facts get in the way of making a point though... :D

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
But regardless of last season, is there anyone else on the Mavs that Nash could gaurd, because Terry has been on FIRE as of late.

I assume there isnt.

The Nash-Terry matchup is going to be an offensive explosion.

DtownsFinest

Reaction score
Card Trader said:
You remember wrong, he had 39 combined in the two games they played last season.....but Nash had 44. Nash also had 20 assists to Terry's 19 and Nash shot a considerably higher FG% than did Terry.

Let's not let facts get in the way of making a point though... :D

Let's slow down a bit though. Notice I said when Nash was a MAV Terry lit him up for 38. But hey, ever since when is 39 points in two games isn't any good? And are you sure that 20 assist game came against when Terry was starting? I seem to remember a game where Nash was dishing out dimes great but i also remember him having a horrible assist to turnover ratio that game. It's all good though. I have yet to see how the Suns will react to this Jason Terry that we are seeing in the playoffs and even you can agree that the Rockets perimeter defenders are better than the Suns right? All i'm saying is watch out for Terry. Not saying he's gonna do good or great but who knows. Just have to wait and see for myself.

DtownsFinest

Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
But regardless of last season, is there anyone else on the Mavs that Nash could gaurd, because Terry has been on FIRE as of late.

I assume there isnt.

The Nash-Terry matchup is going to be an offensive explosion.

I think the there are two matchups that's gonna kill both teams in this series. The Nash vs. Terry as you pointed and the Amare vs. Damp. We can only hope Amare gets tired and doesn't score more than 30 on us. Damp's gonna definately get in foul trouble so expect alot of small ball from us.