Rumor: Marion to CHI for Chandler and #2

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Ah yes - it was the play of Boris Diaw that ultimately proved fatal in the Mavs series and almost against the Lakers.
Again, there seems to be a comprehension issue here. I'm not blaming any player in particular for the team's losses, just pointing out the connection between Boris' lack of range and/or consistency on his shot and some of the struggles the Suns had with their half-court offense.

cheesebeef said:
I'd much rather he had played like Marion in those series...
I thought we were still talking about 2004-5?

cheesebeef said:
...all the while getting crushed by whoever he played on defense, whether it was Odom, Dirk or even, GASP, a SF in Howard who scored 20 or more 5 times against, even though he had only managed to do so 20 times in the previous, oh, what 90 games?

Just for the sake of argument: Marion got crushed by Odom, especially early in that series.

From what I saw, he was easily the Suns' best defender on both Nowitzki and Josh Howard in the Dallas series. The main problem with Marion's defense in that series was that the Suns didn't have two of him, so he had to move back and forth between Nowitzki and Howard, putting out fires as they came up.

IIRC, the Suns were up 7 in the second half of game 5 when Marion had to go out with his 4th foul. That call was one of the two turning points in that series for the Mavs. :shrug:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
From what I saw, he was easily the Suns' best defender on both Nowitzki and Josh Howard in the Dallas series.
Were you watching the same games I was? Tim Thomas was *easily* the most effective defender on Nowitzki. Marion was pretty ineffective on Howard as well.

mribnik

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was checking out Bulls' message boards and on the RealGM board posters were discussing an interview with Paxson on a local radio station where they said he completely shot down Marion rumor.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to keep Marion for one more year atleast to see how he does with Amare in the lineup if he doesnt do well in the playoffs again then I would consider trading him. I really think with our starting lineup next year if we keep marion along with the other starters we should have a great shot at the title that being Amare comes back real close to 100 percent to his old self.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
To me, Tyrus' closest comp coming into the NBA is Kenyon Martin. Just out of curiousity, what's K-Mart's spot-up shooting percentage the last few years?

KMart was at 40% for spot ups this season

The most common comparison for Thomas is Stromile Swift - but with a motor.

It seems pretty accurate to me. I know when I first started to watch him in the Tourney Chad and I both immediately thought of Stro.

For reference, Stromile shot 43.66% from spot ups this season

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boris Diaw shot a nice percentage on his jump shots (I'm too lazy to look at the exact numbers right now), but most of the time he would not take those shots unless he was wide , wide, wide open. If he had more confidence in his jump shot and it was more consistent he would have killed the Mavericks every time Diop was on the court.

If he can get more confidence in consistency in his outside jumper he will be able to score on just about anybody anytime he wants.

Joe

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
It must be the offseason

I dont understand how anyone on this board can think the #2 pick and Tyson Chandler could be enough for a player like Shawn Marion

Chandler would never make it on the court if this trade went down. are you going to play him before Amare,Boris,TT, or KT and not to mention aldridge.

I think the only way Marion does get the respect he deserves will be IF he is traded. How anyone would want to trade one of the best basketball players in the world for a BUM like Chandler and an unkown like Aldridge or Thomas is way beyond me.

And why do people want to trade Barbosa??????????

This is a team that was 2 wins away from the NBA finals without the best young post player in the NBA, and people want to trade everyone and there mother so we can get the 2nd pick in the draft??????????

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
I have no problem with Marion for Chandler/#2. Chandler are much better than Hunter on both ends. He won't impede Nash's penetration like Hunter used to do. With Nash feeding the ball, he'll soon get confident and better motivated than on the Bulls.

I'd even consider Marion for Deng/Gordon/#16 and then do the LB/KT for Dalembert/#13 trade.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
CardsFan222 said:
It must be the offseason

I dont understand how anyone on this board can think the #2 pick and Tyson Chandler could be enough for a player like Shawn Marion

Well part of the reason people are giving it serious thought is that the removal of Marion from the roster gives us a much better chance to keep Tim Thomas on the team. That extra 4 or so million per year (the difference in Chandler's and Marion's salary plus the 2nd draft pick salary) would probably be the breaking point for resigning TT.

I agree that #2 and TChandler probably isn't worth Marion but throwing TT into the mix and it's no slam dunk by any means.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMHO opinion, the definition of a "bad contract" is paying a lot money for someone is injured all the time. Chandler has a bad contract. He's pretty good when healthy (but probably not a good fit on the Suns), but if the Bulls are prepared to do this deal and know a lot about his injury status....:doi:

cly2tw

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Is it fair to say that Amare at 85% = Shawn Marion at 100% as far as overall impact on the game over a season.

Hmm.

Id still try to get Heinrich over Chandler.

It depends on what type of game is at stake. In playoff games, Amare at 60% is better than Marion at 100%, since Marion's 100% there is not much compared to his 100% in regular season games.

As to Heinrich over Chandler, one reason Bulls would do the supposed trade is Chandler's contract is a bad fit for them. Unloading it in the trade, they would still be able to get a center like Ben Wallace or Mohammed in FA with the cap. If they keep Chandler, they won't have enough cap for other FAs.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you guys, this trade idea is BS. It sounds like something Sam Smith made up. I don't think the Phoenix Suns want any part of Chandler's contract. He's been pretty healthy over the last couple seasons, but I doubt that's enough to make them feel like it's safe to assume his contract.

I just hope Merion is in the Bahamas or something because a rumor like this could send him over the edge. :)

Joe Mama

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
Bulls and Suns say no truth to the rumor...

Bulls general manager John Paxson shot down the report Friday. ''There's no truth to [it],'' he said.

You can ignore it [the rumors],'' D'Antoni said. "I'll tell you what's going to happen: Someone will call me and I'll listen, because you always have to listen. And then we'll go, 'No.' And then it will be in the paper the next day that we're interested.

''You have to roll with the punches, but Shawn knows we're close, and we're not doing anything like that.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull241.html

sunsfn

Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bulls and Suns say no truth to the rumor...

Quote:
Bulls general manager John Paxson shot down the report Friday. ''There's no truth to [it],'' he said.

Quote:
You can ignore it [the rumors],'' D'Antoni said. "I'll tell you what's going to happen: Someone will call me and I'll listen, because you always have to listen. And then we'll go, 'No.' And then it will be in the paper the next day that we're interested.

''You have to roll with the punches, but Shawn knows we're close, and we're not doing anything like that.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls...t-bull241.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tank,
Thanks for putting this on,:thumbup:

I have read these and was going to, but am glad you did. I am getting so sick of these Marion trades that I am starting to not read all of the threads, and I normally read every thread. :bang:

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow the Marion trade rumors are getting out of control.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
JWF said:
Wow the Marion trade rumors are getting out of control.

Yep. Imaginations are running wild. People are either too enomored with stats and/or fantasy scenarios.

Bottom line is that a player like Shawn Marion is IRREPLACEABLE over an 82 game schedule. Just ask his coaches. Or, any of his opponent coaches.

He's not going to be a Dwyane Wade and take over a series. But, he'll be that guy who goes out and delivers as much as humanly possible night after night. He is what he is: a vital piece that ANY winning organization would love to have.

Ask him to guard Lamar Odom. Done.
Ask him to guard Elton Brand. Done.
Ask him to guard Sam Cassell. Done.
Ask him to go get 18 and 12. Done.
Ask him to play hurt and tired. Done.

Yeah, give me Tyson Chandler. Wow.

And, some of you are wanting to get rid of Marion so we can resign Tim Thomas? What the hell are you thinking? Like he's going to make up for the lost rebounds? Tim Thomas is a hired gun with a short life-span. You can mark that down.

Unless PHX gets Kevin Garnett, 99.9% of the trade scenarios I've heard are laughable.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Ask him to guard Lamar Odom. Done.
Ask him to guard Elton Brand. Done.
I agree that the trade rumors are out of control, but Marion got *torched* by both of those guys in the playoffs.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion trade discussion does not have two side, but has at least four positions

1. People who think Marion should be dumped because he's not very good and the team would be better off without his salary even if they don't get much back.

2. People who think Marion is really good and thus can be traded for really good stuff even if the salaries are about the same.

3. People who think Marion is a grossly underrated part of the team and would not consider a trade except for another supestar.

4. People who think Marion is a fairly good player who fits the Suns system but cannot be traded for enough value, so such a trade would hurt the team's chances.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

1. People who think Marion should be dumped because he's not very good and the team would be better off without his salary even if they don't get much back.

2. People who think Marion is really good and thus can be traded for really good stuff even if the salaries are about the same.

3. People who think Marion is a grossly underrated part of the team and would not consider a trade except for another supestar.

4. People who think Marion is a fairly good player who fits the Suns system but cannot be traded for enough value, so such a trade would hurt the team's chances.

I would say i'm in the 3 or 4 camp based on these. I think we move him if one of two things happen:

1. We can get a good star in return
2. The team depth is improved

We were killed by depth this season when some guys got hurt. Assuming we are healthy, we will automatically have some more depth this year without any moves, so on that side it makes sense to keep marion. If we lose Marion we need to get two guys who can replace what will be lost. I don't really think having another "go to" guy is completly crucial to this team, and that's why Marion does so well.

That said, Marion has shown he can't be a go to guy so if someone is there who can be then you have to consider the move. Marion might be further down the offensive option list next year, but it just means we are deeper.

If we get two players for Marion that don't work out well or aren't ready to play, they will fall out of the roation. Coach D has already shown he will only play the player he feels can get the job done, even if it wears out the team.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
That D'Antoni quote is from immediately after the season, unless he said it again word for word....

However, I also heard that it isn't going to happen (not really surprising)

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
I agree that the trade rumors are out of control, but Marion got *torched* by both of those guys in the playoffs.

You're not seeing my point. Marion has been asked to guard bigger defenders throughout his career. Not as easy as some here seem to think.

BTW, Elton Brand torched the entire league this year.

If Marion didn't guard these guys, who would have? And, how far would have PHX advanced? You can't replace Marion with another player... and ask him to make up for his rebounds an/or defense match-ups. It doesn't work that way.

But, you never know. Some of the wannabe GM's could get their wish. And, it's going to be painfully obvious who got the better end of the deal when you see Marion highlights on ESPN wearing another uni.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey slyfly...Marion didnt do a good job on Brand...hate to tell ya but Brand torched us the entire series. I thought you should know.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

And then theres point 5....

5. People that think Marion is starting to get too old and too expensive and are more concerned about resigning other players and don't want to see Marions value take a DIVE before we try to trade him.

Put me down for point 5...thank you.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
pokerface said:
Hey slyfly...Marion didnt do a good job on Brand...hate to tell ya but Brand torched us the entire series. I thought you should know.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

I see why Eric left.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05