Ryan Williams

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm probably going get flamed but I don't see anything that makes me think he can be a legit RB in the NFL. I know people are going to say it's the OL, and that is a concern, but even early on in the game when there was some running room, he just shows nothing. He tries to juke and stutter step instead of making a run. I also don't see any explosiveness to his game. I know he's young and coming off an injury but I just don't see it. I'm usually on the lenient side when it comes to RB's but he needs to improve quickly, very quickly, or they won't even have any threat at RB until/if Wells comes back healthy.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm probably going get flamed but I don't see anything that makes me think he can be a legit RB in the NFL. I know people are going to say it's the OL, and that is a concern, but even early on in the game when there was some running room, he just shows nothing. He tries to juke and stutter step instead of making a run. I also don't see any explosiveness to his game. I know he's young and coming off an injury but I just don't see it. I'm usually on the lenient side when it comes to RB's but he needs to improve quickly, very quickly, or they won't even have any threat at RB until/if Wells comes back healthy.

I agree & never was on board with the pick...passed lots of edge rushers who I felt we needed(still) more.:bang:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I agree, I posted on the game thread, he dances too much and looks unsure. I don't see the explosiveness or the vision. OL is bad but running game woes are not all OL.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he stops dancing and becomes decisive, he will be really good IMO.

But is it not funny that we ALWAYS have RBs that want to dance before going to the hole? From Thomas Jones to Beanie and now RW, they are behind the LOS panickers. Beanie fixed it; I hope RW can. TJ didn't fix it until he left the Cards...and then he was good.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know man, I think it's impossible to gauge him with the line being this bad as a unit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Between dodging linemen in the backfield and focusing on not fumbling, Ryan Williams is not an impressive RB right now. I still hope he can develop the flashes I thought I saw pre injury, but we will see.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Barry Freaking Sanders would have a hard time getting back to the LOS behind this line. I don't think a RB or QB can be judged fairly behind this line.

cardfolife

Reaction score
Well, I take some solace in the fact that even prior to R-Will, Va Tech has traditionally had a robust RB pipeline into the NFL; with the likes of Mike Imoh, Lee Suggs, Kevin Jones, Brandon Ore, Vaughn Hebron and Mike Vick among others doing their thang..I believe it's only a matter of time before he blossoms into the living legend that his illustrious predecessors proved out to be with their shifty style, breathtaking cutback ability, dazzling open-field moves and trainingCampOohAahGenerations..

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I take some solace in the fact that even prior to R-Will, Va Tech has traditionally had a robust RB pipeline into the NFL; with the likes of Mike Imoh, Lee Suggs, Kevin Jones, Brandon Ore, Vaughn Hebron and Mike Vick among others doing their thang..I believe it's only a matter of time before he blossoms into the living legend that his illustrious predecessors proved out to be with their shifty style, breathtaking cutback ability, dazzling open-field moves and trainingCampOohAahGenerations..

Other than Vick, who? I think I heard of them, but only as backups on Madden. Which is what RWilliams I headed for. :shrug:

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
It was a shocking pick given the fact that the team had just spent a first rounder on Beanie Wells two drafts before. If Wells could stay on the field, the pick could have been used elsewhere

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This post is awesome.

At least, CBus, you can solace yourself that Ryan Williams was "only" a second round pick, and second round picks aren't valuable and almost never work out. So the Cards break even, right?

FWIW, I don't think that Whis gave Ryan Williams the ball enough. He's a good kid, and he's coming back from injury, but Whis got pass-wacky when the game was still in reach because (IMO) Kolb convinced him that SURELY he was going to complete the NEXT pass. We've done SO WELL off play-action this year (and last)--why not run the ball to make play action releveant?

Is Ryan Williams going to be a special back? I really doubt it. Maybe before the injury, but not now. Can he have a productive career before dropping quietly out of the NFL in six years? Probably.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
This post is awesome.

At least, CBus, you can solace yourself that Ryan Williams was "only" a second round pick, and second round picks aren't valuable and almost never work out. So the Cards break even, right?

FWIW, I don't think that Whis gave Ryan Williams the ball enough. He's a good kid, and he's coming back from injury, but Whis got pass-wacky when the game was still in reach because (IMO) Kolb convinced him that SURELY he was going to complete the NEXT pass. We've done SO WELL off play-action this year (and last)--why not run the ball to make play action releveant?

Is Ryan Williams going to be a special back? I really doubt it. Maybe before the injury, but not now. Can he have a productive career before dropping quietly out of the NFL in six years? Probably.
I'm not only basing my opinion of Williams on this game. I haven't given up on him but I haven't seen anything to make me optimistic either.

As for the second round pick, you keep trying to get on me for stating the facts, look it up. It's not almost never, but it is less than 50% of the time they work out. Find once where I said they don't have any value. It's like betting red or black at a roulette table. Sure you can win, but you're going to lose more than 50% of the time. I don't see why you have such hard time understanding that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not only basing my opinion of Williams on this game. I haven't given up on him but I haven't seen anything to make me optimistic either.

As for the second round pick, you keep trying to get on me for stating the facts, look it up. It's not almost never, but it is less than 50% of the time they work out. Find once where I said they don't have any value. It's like betting red or black at a roulette table. Sure you can win, but you're going to lose more than 50% of the time. I don't see why you have such hard time understanding that.

Because there's a difference between "star" and "solid NFL contributor." I'm with you with 3rd round picks, but I don't even think that 3rd round picks are properly valued. Just because you don't know a guy's name three years after they're drafted doesn't mean that they're not solid players for their team.

I'm the biggest Ryan Williams detractor in the land (get off my lawn). But I'd put him behind Thomas Jones and ahead of Marcel Shipp among the Cards backs we've seen in recent memory. I think it's fair to say that we blew a second round pick to draft Tim Hightower, who was a 5th round pick.

Good job?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He gave me an autograph tonight so...... :shrug:

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Because there's a difference between "star" and "solid NFL contributor." I'm with you with 3rd round picks, but I don't even think that 3rd round picks are properly valued. Just because you don't know a guy's name three years after they're drafted doesn't mean that they're not solid players for their team.

I'm the biggest Ryan Williams detractor in the land (get off my lawn). But I'd put him behind Thomas Jones and ahead of Marcel Shipp among the Cards backs we've seen in recent memory. I think it's fair to say that we blew a second round pick to draft Tim Hightower, who was a 5th round pick.

Good job?
Just for fun, I picked a random year, 2008, and looked at the 2nd round of the draft. 8 of the 32 guys drafted are solid NFL contributor's for the team that drafted them and they are pretty good players, Jordy Nelson, Calais Campbell, Fred Davis, Desean Jackson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Terrell Thomas, and Brandon Flowers. The other 24 are either out of the league, like Limas Sweed, or are guys bouncing around from team to team, like Quentin Groves.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Rwill is a decent enough RB- I never had him graded that high - He aint ready for primetime feature RB- He will become a complimentry back Like THT - may lead a stable of backs- but never belong every down Like a healthy Beanie or Edge should.

tHT was in the perfect role with edge when Whiz and Haley benched Edge and started tHT. Rwill is better than THT as a runner - but not as a reciever or blocker.
Fact is anytime you take Beanie off the field you help the opposing defense- If you call his number - throw him the ball and feature him in the offense he is a widowmaker- We never have consistantly - with a couple of exceptions where he had 27 carries. He is is in and out -healthy or not.

you feed him 25 carries a game and the whole team becomes consistant- have we even ran orn 3rd and short this year at all? I know we passed an INT last game on the goal line after 1 RWILL attempt. and Kolb snuck a couple.

We have no will to run- Our coach chooses a 1 dimensional pass game even when we run. It is a choice- and it makes us inconsistant- We started out good this game sustained drives - with low production run attempts- paniced when we fell back by 7 and welcomed the mighty Rams pass rush- like Miami-- Man them guy are good- but only against the pass drunk Cardinals.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just for fun, I picked a random year, 2008, and looked at the 2nd round of the draft. 8 of the 32 guys drafted are solid NFL contributor's for the team that drafted them and they are pretty good players, Jordy Nelson, Calais Campbell, Fred Davis, Desean Jackson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Terrell Thomas, and Brandon Flowers. The other 24 are either out of the league, like Limas Sweed, or are guys bouncing around from team to team, like Quentin Groves.

Ryan Williams has no chance to ever be a good RB for the Cardinals BECAUSE he was selected in the 2nd round. I said it during the draft. It's a jinxed spot for Cardinal RBs.

JJ Arrington, Leland McElroy, Chuck Levy, Anthony Thompson, Tony Jeffery, Theotis Brown, George Franklin.

:stick:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why you no mention Lesean McCoy the year Beanie was drafted? ;)

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see no burst from Williams. Not fast enough to get outside and is not powerful enough to move the pile. Thought he looked ok last night in the first quarter. Really hard to be certain what he can become with this line we have.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
For Mulli, I went ahead and did the 2009 draft in which the 2nd round included arguably the best player in the draft, Lesean McCoy.

Along with Lesean McCOY, there are many other good players and starters that came out of that draft. Still out of the 32 picks there are only 17 starters of the group, each with their own varying degrees of success.
Det- Delmas, Stl- Lauranaitis, NE-Chung, Cin-Maualuga, Buff-Byrd, Hou-Barwin, Sea-Unger, Phi- McCoy, Min-Loadholt, Atl-Moore, Bal-Kruger, NE-Vollmer, Car-Martin, NYG-Beatty, Mia-Smith, Buff-Levitre, Jax-Britton.

Then you have guys who are already out of the league, like Cody Brown, on their 3rd or 4th teams, like Darius Butler, or are playing in Canada, like David Veikune.

Either way about 50% is about the best you can expect for a 2nd rounder to make it and contribute. But there is value as you can also find a guy like Lesean McCoy. However chances are you can just easily draft an OLB for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and that has been my point all along.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05