Saints at Cardinals PS gameday thread 8-10-24

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kinda curious if Payton Turner could be had for a sack of marbles. Saints declined his option, he has good athletic traits, and maybe a scheme change to a 3-4 could help. Obviously everything that can be had at this time of year comes with warts, but the Cardinals are also very thin.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Same thing with Josh Sweat. He just restructured his deal but just to lighten the cap burden. I think he is a backup right now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Same thing with Josh Sweat. He just restructured his deal but just to lighten the cap burden. I think he is a backup right now.
He’s not tradeable. As I read OtC, Philly needs to eat $22mm in accelerated bonus if they trade him.

Are we also sure he’s that good? Seems more like a sidekick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What game did you watch?

I thought the D played Well in the first Half when it was the 2nd team D against the 1st string Saints Offense/O-line
Of these saints had decided to run more we would’ve been crushed. I understood it wAs mismatching starters verses backups. But I saw what I saw.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Welcome back Smelly!!

Boy, we gonna run some ball this year!! We got three backs that would get snaps with any team in the league...reason to be excited
Thanks , I’m still stuck in the philipines waiting on my family’s US immigration, that is 2 years overdue now. Did produce a new fan, my boy is named Pacific Herald - he’s a big 1!

He is a mudder, bull dozes head first, too bad NFL don’t have mud no more. Hehe

Attachments

• IMG_0443.png
    IMG_0443.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks , I’m still stuck in the philipines waiting on my family’s US immigration, that is 2 years overdue now. Did produce a new fan, my boy is named Pacific Herald - he’s a big 1!

LIL SMEL!! Welcome!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He’s not tradeable. As I read OtC, Philly needs to eat $22mm in accelerated bonus if they trade him.

Are we also sure he’s that good? Seems more like a sidekick.
It looks like he is 16 mil next year regardless and they are currently 25 mil under this year. (per OTC) Maybe I am not reading it correctly, but I feel what you are referencing was for a trade prior to June 1.

Do I feel he is great? I don't know. Do I feel he is significantly better than anything we have on our roster and are likely to pursue in upcoming FA? Yes.

So, if the draft picks are not significant, and it only really costs some money over the next couple years, I am all for it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It looks like he is 16 mil next year regardless and they are currently 25 mil under this year. (per OTC) Maybe I am not reading it correctly, but I feel what you are referencing was for a trade prior to June 1.

Do I feel he is great? I don't know. Do I feel he is significantly better than anything we have on our roster and are likely to pursue in upcoming FA? Yes.

So, if the draft picks are not significant, and it only really costs some money over the next couple years, I am all for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

When you trade him, all those dollars in the "prorated signing bonus" category roll up to this year. Philly does have $25MM in cap space.

I think that spending picks + dollars on a guy like Sweat is what edges into Keim territory. He's not likely to outperform the $18MM AAV contract you're going to have to pay him. You're maybe okay with that if you're not giving up a third-round pick or something.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol...A league average or better one?
Not a sack master but he has lenght and speed from the edge something the cardinals deeply miss
The few times i watched him i liked him
I remember a match vs the cardinals, Murray Is pretty quick and fast in short area, he couldnt outrun Sweat

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

When you trade him, all those dollars in the "prorated signing bonus" category roll up to this year. Philly does have $25MM in cap space.

I think that spending picks + dollars on a guy like Sweat is what edges into Keim territory. He's not likely to outperform the $18MM AAV contract you're going to have to pay him. You're maybe okay with that if you're not giving up a third-round pick or something.
This is what I would be targeting and where it would make sense IMO. If you are offering a conditional 4th or 5th, I think it is a fine move. If you have to give up a 2nd and pay him, that is where it becomes an issue IMO. I don't think he is at a Chandler Jones level.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is what I would be targeting and where it would make sense IMO. If you are offering a conditional 4th or 5th, I think it is a fine move. If you have to give up a 2nd and pay him, that is where it becomes an issue IMO. I don't think he is at a Chandler Jones level.
Where do you think Josh Sweat gets the 2024 Arizona Cardinals? Do you consider him the same quality as Danielle Hunter?

I get casting around for a BJ Ojulari replacement/finding another 6-8 sacks, but the price of the new salary + draft pick compensation outside of a 4th or 5th is too much for me.

Because it's the Eagles, I'm not sure why they'd be willing to part with Sweat. The coach is trying to save his job and they're probably in a super bowl window right now.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Holy crap Smel, a SON!!!??

CONGRATS dude!!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Where do you think Josh Sweat gets the 2024 Arizona Cardinals? Do you consider him the same quality as Danielle Hunter?

I get casting around for a BJ Ojulari replacement/finding another 6-8 sacks, but the price of the new salary + draft pick compensation outside of a 4th or 5th is too much for me.

Because it's the Eagles, I'm not sure why they'd be willing to part with Sweat. The coach is trying to save his job and they're probably in a super bowl window right now.
I don't believe he is as good as Hunter.

I would give up a 5th or 6th and three years 17 mil/per for him. (I am not very concerned about contract dollars outside of length)

Eagles brought in Fangio who is particular about who he likes, Sweat is currently in a position battle, and they are still cap crunched in 2025. Not that they can't get around that crunch but they might prefer to off-load him if they feel a younger guy is better with Fangio.