Reaction score

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Albert Breer‏Verified account@AlbertBreer 1m1 minute ago
Cardinals GM Steve Keim on Sam Bradford's health, via AZ's Facebook Watch series: "It's our job to make sure we're getting the ball out quickly, that we're running the ball effectively, and more than anything that we can pass protect and keep him upright." https://www.facebook.com/cardinalsflightplan/videos/154281132059669/…

Gee whiz SK, you think? Even a kid playing Pop Warner Pee Wee Football knows that.

Just get us the playbook/players who will accomplish those goals.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I wouldn't criticize him being obvious or aware. Just imagine if he thought the roster was fine and there weren't any areas to improve?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would you think that. Care to explain?
I thought that because he said "they" IE Keim and Bidwill, not "WE". I thought Keim is keeping Wilks out of the loop (which is stupid). But as someone said that's not a direct quote from Wilks, at least I hope not. It also says hes not well adverse in evaluating qb's/

EDIT: My bad yall, I misread the quote. The writer said it, not Wilks.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals putting together health plan for Sam Bradford

“We’ll identify what Sam needs to do, and put him on a program that’s based on him, the individual,” strength and conditioning coach Buddy Morris said, via Darren Urban of the team website. “We like to individualize a lot around here.”

Bradford started only two games last season because of his knee injury, which required arthroscopic surgery. He returned to backup Case Keenum in the postseason, though Bradford didn’t see the field.

“As a player, you can’t focus on it,” Bradford said. “I trust the process I’ve been through to this point; I know the strength staff here, the training staff here. We talked . . . about putting in the plan to make sure my knee is as healthy as it can be come Week 1.

“I am trusting the fact they know what they are doing. They’ve dealt with some guys who have had knees that have had issues like mine. With that work, we’ll be in a place where it will allow me to do can do what I need to do for 16 games.”

Morris said he talked with “everybody that’s ever trained” Bradford as well as the quarterback’s current physical therapist.

“I think we’ve got a great plan between myself, Tom Reed [the team’s head athletic trainer] and obviously Sam, just like we did for Carson [Palmer] a couple years ago,” Morris added. “I get tired of people telling me what I can’t do. I worry about what I can do. So we’re going to focus on what we can do with Sam, and we’re going to put him in a position to achieve optimal levels and put him in the best possible position to help us win football games.

“Trust me, we’ve talked about him.”

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought that because he said "they" IE Keim and Bidwill, not "WE". I thought Keim is keeping Wilks out of the loop (which is stupid). But as someone said that's not a direct quote from Wilks, at least I hope not. It also says hes not well adverse in evaluating qb's/

EDIT: My bad yall, I misread the quote. The writer said it, not Wilks.

I don't know if it was ever made public as to the decision-making process between MB-SK-SW. You may have misread the quote---then again, you might have correctly called out the lines of authority when it comes to the draft.

For a long time, I thought that the draft was a combined process with BA having a lot of input. Looking back on BA's comments prior to the draft(s), he was making a case to the public on the QB talent only to have SK pass on taking one or making a move to get one (Logan Thomas the lone exception plus camp arms who were brought in). BA stated that one of his goals before he retired was to have a QBOTF in place before he left. Hard to do if one doesn't even get drafted.

For the BASK combo, it appears that SK had final say on the draft whereas BA had final say on the roster and who hits the field. That kind of allocation of authority can keep the GM and the HC in their 'own lanes' as to running the team. It will keep two alpha dogs from fighting over a single bone when they both get their own bone to chew. It can also leave a HC frustrated that he didn't get the guy he really wanted; it can leave a GM frustrated that his picks get redshirted for a year or cut after training camp.

Not sure how MB divided the authority now between SK and SW??? Anyone have evidence/link on the current management organization and structure???

I can see MB going with an equal division or a 'group' consensus---he knows we didn't have a QBOTF on the roster when BA left. MB could also keep a division of final say. Both HC and GM have four-year contracts to figure out their working relationship.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
For the BASK combo, it appears that SK had final say on the draft whereas BA had final say on the roster and who hits the field. That kind of allocation of authority can keep the GM and the HC in their 'own lanes' as to running the team. It will keep two alpha dogs from fighting over a single bone when they both get their own bone to chew. It can also leave a HC frustrated that he didn't get the guy he really wanted; it can leave a GM frustrated that his picks get redshirted for a year or cut after training camp.

Not sure how MB divided the authority now between SK and SW??? Anyone have evidence/link on the current management organization and structure???

I can see MB going with an equal division or a 'group' consensus---he knows we didn't have a QBOTF on the roster when BA left. MB could also keep a division of final say. Both HC and GM have four-year contracts to figure out their working relationship.

I'm pretty sure this is how it goes for most teams. Remember when Bill Parcells said if he was going to do the cooking, he wanted to do the shopping too. This is exactly what he was referring to. The GM has the final say on the draft...period. The coach has the final say on who suits up and who rides the pine...period. I would think they collaborate on the final cuts...maybe.

I don't think Michael gets to involved in "football" decisions. I think he is more the lets see what this dude is all about, guy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't know if it was ever made public as to the decision-making process between MB-SK-SW. You may have misread the quote---then again, you might have correctly called out the lines of authority when it comes to the draft.

For a long time, I thought that the draft was a combined process with BA having a lot of input. Looking back on BA's comments prior to the draft(s), he was making a case to the public on the QB talent only to have SK pass on taking one or making a move to get one (Logan Thomas the lone exception plus camp arms who were brought in). BA stated that one of his goals before he retired was to have a QBOTF in place before he left. Hard to do if one doesn't even get drafted.

I think Michael allows Keim to do what a good GM does and that is cater to the coach's needs but it's nothing to do with 'could'... you can bet your bottom dollar he has final say :)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is how it goes for most teams. Remember when Bill Parcells said if he was going to do the cooking, he wanted to do the shopping too. This is exactly what he was referring to. The GM has the final say on the draft...period. The coach has the final say on who suits up and who rides the pine...period. I would think they collaborate on the final cuts...maybe.

I don't think Michael gets to involved in "football" decisions. I think he is more the lets see what this dude is all about, guy.

Sounds like we're both guessing as to how we think the management org chart is constructed within the Cards Front Office. Wish we had an insider with the knowledge of the situation.

You see plenty of variations around the league with some owners happy to sit in the press box during games (see Stan Kroenke) while others assume the role of GM and HC and stick their nose into every aspect of the team (see Jerry Jones).

If anyone in the league has the background to be a hands-on owner, it would be MB. Ever since he was a kid he has been involved with the Cards. The original Mr. B was way too involved for his own good and was the defacto GM for some of the worst draft choices ever---which drove coaches like Don Coryell coconuts and off to San Diego . . . and resulted in a miserable W-L history for the franchise.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Michael allows Keim to do what a good GM does and that is cater to the coach's needs but it's nothing to do with 'could'... you can bet your bottom dollar he has final say :)

Do you know for certain or are you offering your best guess?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

It's been reported. I'll try and find one, if I get time later. I have actually asked Michael how involved is he in the football day to day stuff. He told me none, so I'm not sure if that is true, but don't count out Terry McDonough either. I was also introduced too him and talked for a bit about football, because Michael heard that my wife and I lived in Wi, and he is from there.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

As the owner of a professional franchise, any owner which does not have final say over their own business would not be too smart when you consider it's his money. I do remember when Michael took over that they talked about the chain of command and that he did have final say... though he did make it a point that he had no intention of not letting the GM do their job, but would act if he felt otherwise but not to the extent of being a 'meddling' owner

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As the owner of a professional franchise, any owner which does not have final say over their own business would not be too smart when you consider it's his money. I do remember when Michael took over that they talked about the chain of command and that he did have final say... though he did make it a point that he had no intention of not letting the GM do their job, but would act if he felt otherwise but not to the extent of being a 'meddling' owner

Wonder how far the 'final say' by an owner goes? Most of the guys who own NFL franchises are old (I mean old) and very much have a hands on approach to the overall operations. They would most likely meet the criteria you mention above.

Then you have a guy like Stan Kroenke of the Rams:

"Enos Stanley Kroenke (/ˈkroʊŋki/; born July 29, 1947) is an American business entrepreneur. He is the owner of Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, which is the holding company of the Los Angeles Rams of the NFL, Denver Nuggets of the NBA, Colorado Avalanche of the NHL, Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer, and Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League. Kroenke is also the largest shareholder of English Premier League football club Arsenal. The newly formed Los Angeles Gladiators of the Overwatch League is also owned by Kroenke.

The Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche franchises are currently owned by his wife, Ann Walton Kroenke, to satisfy NFL ownership restrictions that forbid a team owner from owning teams in other markets.[4] Ann is the daughter of Walmart co-founder James Walton.

Kroenke was estimated to be worth US$8 billion by Forbes in 2016."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Kroenke

I can't see Kroenke as a final say guy on player signings, etc. with that kind of ownership. He's probably too busy counting his billions to worry about a measly couple of hundred thousand here-and-there.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My question came well before your addendum.
If you read it, then why did you quote me AGAIN?! Your quote was totally uncalled. If you don’t like what I post, then put me on ignore, point blank

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser