Sam Bradford A Cardinal

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see why people are freaking out over this. Who else are you going to sign at this point? Cousins obviously did not want to be here. None of the other QBs on the market are worth a damn. Now lets focus on the draft so we can find our long term solution instead of doing this crap in free agency every few years

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
It seems to be that we have a difference in what 'legitimate' starter means. He has been a starter, but I don't think he starts on more than half of the NFL rosters, probably over 20+.

Bradford is a better option than Stanton, or Glennon for sure though.

He's a better option than anyone available after Cousins and Keenum. He cost the team nothing other than salary and his competence as a quarterback means this team doesn't have to panic.
Yes they have to find their future but Brasdford's a great bridge.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We were looking at 2018 with CP as our QB---don't forget, he was under contract for this year until he retired. This was the year we drafted a legitimate FQB while we still had CP as a vet bridge QB to 2019.

Look at Bradford in that same role. We draft a guy with the hope Bradford gives us a full year. If not, our FQB gets some real time game experience. Our salary cap is in great shape for next year and it will be the Cards busy resigning players and FA to build around the QB picked in this draft.

If not, look at all the teams who are in this feeding frenzy and will commit themselves to their QB pick this year. A lot less competition next year fpr QBs.

How's that for rainbows and lollypops?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero issue with this as long as we get a decent prospect as a rookie at QB moving forward. Ide even take one of the round 2 guys like Lauleta or Falk... Ive even be happy with Rudolph even though Chopper is dead set against...

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If someone had the ability to see the future, and tell me Bradford can make it through 16 games, I would be excited about getting him.

Teddy Bridgewater has hurt his knee, sure, but it is now healed, and he will have to play before anyone can say he is doomed to re-injure it.

Sam Bradford is on his 3rd team because of his knee, not his arm, his knee. It is a case of when it gets re-injured, not IF.

He was OK when he signed in Philly and he certainly wasn't traded to Minny because of his knee.

Do you think Minny would have traded a #1 if they didn't have a reasonable expectation that he could play?

P.S. He started 29 of 32 in 2016/17.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If someone had the ability to see the future, and tell me Bradford can make it through 16 games, I would be excited about getting him.

Teddy Bridgewater has hurt his knee, sure, but it is now healed, and he will have to play before anyone can say he is doomed to re-injure it.

Sam Bradford is on his 3rd team because of his knee, not his arm, his knee. It is a case of when it gets re-injured, not IF.
No one's arguing that Bradford isn't an injury risk though. The particular conversation was that Bradford wasn't any good. Which I don't agree with. He may not be elite, but he's good. He is very protective of the ball, which most teams, especially one's with defensive minded HC's covet and he produces at an acceptable level. His TD% needs to be a lot better but a QB that completes 70% of his passes, doesn't turn the ball over, gets 7.0+ ypa and can throw it anywhere on the field is always going to be given a chance.

His lack of TD production can be explained away to some degree but I think deserves a fair amount of criticism with the Vikings. He should have been more productive with them IMO. And, that's what was so disappointing about last year. It looked like he was overcoming that after the first game of the year against the Saints. But, well the inevitable with Bradford...

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I have zero issue with this as long as we get a decent prospect as a rookie at QB moving forward. Ide even take one of the round 2 guys like Lauleta or Falk... Ive even be happy with Rudolph even though Chopper is dead set against...
Rudolph is who I want for the Cardinals. There's just something about that guy that my gut is telling me will work. Physical tools, value in the draft, potential as a passer...if Keim calls me, that's my sell.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
We were looking at 2018 with CP as our QB---don't forget, he was under contract for this year until he retired. This was the year we drafted a legitimate FQB while we still had CP as a vet bridge QB to 2019.

Look at Bradford in that same role. We draft a guy with the hope Bradford gives us a full year. If not, our FQB gets some real time game experience. Our salary cap is in great shape for next year and it will be the Cards busy resigning players and FA to build around the QB picked in this draft.

If not, look at all the teams who are in this feeding frenzy and will commit themselves to their QB pick this year. A lot less competition next year fpr QBs.

How's that for rainbows and lollypops?

Very good.Plus i think we say a cheap veteran backup for Bradford and i hope we draft a QBOF.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called this over a month ago

None that I really like. Our lack of foresight has put us in an incredibly difficult decision. The defense is built to win now. We have hired a strong defensive coach and we have clearly signaled that this isn't a rebuild.

Trading up requires giving up future assets that we will likely need on offense.

Everything lynch pins on two things I can't control, Larry and HB. I will take the worst case and say HB won't restructure. I am saying Larry returns.

Thus we are left with just a poo poo platter of decisions. It would be easier if we could just bite the bullet for a year and shed ourselves of the bad contracts we have (looking at you Gresham), we have to do a halfway retool

Cuts:

Tyrann Mathieu
Mike Iaupati
AP
Dawson
Mauro

Resign:

Tramon Williams
Alex Boone
Aaron Brewer
Kerwynn Williams

Extend:

Jared Veldheer 2 years. Keep him at LT where he belongs

QBs

Nick Foles - 2nd and 3rd next year. Seems pricey but compared to the cost of moving up in the first round it is cheap.

If unable to get Foles then it is probably Bradford for better or worse. Then we have to bite the bullet and trade up but that will end up costing another first and likely a 2nd or third.

Outside of trading up to get a QB or trading for Foles, I just don't see a great option that doesn't give us some shot at winning now and in the future.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is fair to say after Cousins and Bress passed on Cardinals, we get Bradford. Yay!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Brees wasn't going anywhere. I mean, at least we tried? That way people can know that Keim didn't "sit on his hands."

Unfortunately, despite offering more money to Cousins, he chose the guarantee, the franchise with the best chance to win now, and the chance to get back on the market in short order. It's more of a mercenary move than I was anticipating, but let's be honest, that was the perfect scenario for him.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Just want to re-iterate what others have mentioned in regards to criticizing the Cardinals front office about being aggressive. Bradford was their 3rd choice and they made legitimate, generous..."aggressive" offers to the two most coveted FA's on the market. They tried to get Brees and Cousins. For a plan "C", Bradford on the cheap means they will have a real shot at the playoffs in 2018 and still have the opportunity to address QBOTF however they decide.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
The clear plan here is to wait for his knee to implode week 3, then tank out the year and be positioned for a high draft pick in 2019. Time to start watching film on the 2019 QB class.

I couldn't be less excited. Well maybe Glennon I guess.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just want to re-iterate what others have mentioned in regards to criticizing the Cardinals front office about being aggressive. Bradford was their 3rd choice and they made legitimate, generous..."aggressive" offers to the two most coveted FA's on the market. They tried to get Brees and Cousins. For a plan "C", Bradford on the cheap means they will have a real shot at the playoffs in 2018 and still have the opportunity to address QBOTF however they decide.

Great post and completely accurate.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Why would Fitz stay for this? I could not hate this more hey let’s go 6-10 or 7-9 and still not be able to get a QBOTF. I don’t get it we are just good enough to miss the playoffs now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Why would Fitz stay for this? I could not hate this more hey let’s go 6-10 or 7-9 and still not be able to get a QBOTF. I don’t get it we are just good enough to miss the playoffs now.

I really don't understand this attitude. The Cardinals were 8-8 last year without David Johnson and with Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert starting 9 games. Even Palmer wasn't performing well and was basically a liability last year. Bradford is a huge risk long term but short term, he has shown that he can come in for a season and stay on the field.

And, considering his level of play the past 3+ years, he'd be a huge improvement over the 8-8 level team last year. Sure, you have to hope that he stays healthy but it isn't THAT unlikely. Why would the Cardinals get 2 games worse with Bradford on the field?

seesred

Reaction score
Better than the qb's of the past in arizona. The offense did not get better and there is nobody out there without a major work over at wide receiver, line, TE, will it get any better. It's going to be a cross your fingers defuse with a new coach can hold teams to under 20. I'm sure that josh Mc'cown as a back up or starter would be better than Bradford. Wait one more year and we should have a better position in the draft at QB.

GBR

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I really don't understand this attitude. The Cardinals were 8-8 last year without David Johnson and with Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert starting 9 games. Even Palmer wasn't performing well and was basically a liability last year. Bradford is a huge risk long term but short term, he has shown that he can come in for a season and stay on the field.

And, considering his level of play the past 3+ years, he'd be a huge improvement over the 8-8 level team last year. Sure, you have to hope that he stays healthy but it isn't THAT unlikely. Why would the Cardinals get 2 games worse with Bradford on the field?

The division is much tougher this year. 8-8 will not be easy. We have have much tougher schedule.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser