Say no to Eli

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I don't think that Eli is the answer, or that everyone on this board should get upset if the Cardinals don't get the #1 pick or decide to trade down. If this team is really as defunct as many of you think, then even a QB like payton Manning wouldn't be able to change the team's losing ways. Chances are that Graves will trade down like last year and try to fill some of the holes that this team currently has. I see us having two 1st round picks when everything is said and done, and I'd be happy with players like Will Smith (DE/Ohio State) and Derrick Strait (CB/Oklahoma) being our 1st rounders. Either way, I'm hoping that this board doesn't judge Graves based on an Eli/ No Eli platform. It seems like the draft has become a black/white issue to many of the posters.

P.S. and off topic: My 1000th post was in the Movie section. My 1000th for all of ya's (especially KingofCards) is www.gaypimp.com. Watch their "Soccer Practice" video. Funny stuff, unless you aren't secure in your sexual orientation, and then you might have nightmares about your old wrestling buddy. :D There's no nudity or cussing, but I wouldn't watch it during work;) If you're under 18, ask your parents:thumbup:

Last edited:

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Eli pick, but I think you'll burn him out. Allso, playing in our division, you guys need a secondary or you'll never get out of the basement. I'm not trying to talk sh$t, but it's the truth.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rams4evah
I like the Eli pick, but I think you'll burn him out. Allso, playing in our division, you guys need a secondary or you'll never get out of the basement. I'm not trying to talk sh$t, but it's the truth.

I kind of agree. We need Starks to earn his money, and taking a CB in the first round or two could complement him. We could also keep Hill as a good #3. Barrett should be in CFL next year. I think Blake could mentor Eli, but most Arizona fans would cruxify him and expect a lot out of his first year.

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
I kind of agree. We need Starks to earn his money, and taking a CB in the first round or two could complement him. We could also keep Hill as a good #3. Barrett should be in CFL next year. I think Blake could mentor Eli, but most Arizona fans would cruxify him and expect a lot out of his first year.

Five of the best wide outs are in this division, and you should now know that Barrett isn't in their league. Forget Eli and get a corner.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I think we should target a corner in FA first this year, take your pick. There's at least 3-4 gonna be out there that you KNOW will make a difference. Then, depending on $$$$, get a FA DE (Kearse or Wistrom). If we get these two needs filled in FA, then I say get Manning if we can. Hopefully Johnson comes along to complement "Quan" next year. What other glaring needs do we have? I was assuming (HATE that word!) Starks will earn his keep as #2 corner.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
alot of it will have to do with the free agency signings but we passed on a franchise QB last year.We can't do it again.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Exactly

Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
alot of it will have to do with the free agency signings but we passed on a franchise QB last year.We can't do it again.

Franchise QB's are cyclical.

As you said cbus....we passed on one last year.

It may be 3 or 4 years before a great group comes along.

I just don't think we'll fill the new stadium with McCown.

Hey cbus....speakin of mock drafts.....I'm puttin together my Cards mock draft in my head.....what do you think of a healthy Darien Scott at DE instead of DT like he played this year at Ohio State?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I said awhile ago that based on last years play i thought Scott was the better player than Will Smith.Now,Smith really elevated his game this year and SCott has had a high ankle sprain ever since the Bowling Green game and was never fully recovered. Scott has played alot of DE for OSU and is a very capable pass rusher.If he was there,i would grab him in a second in round 3.Our second round pick would probably be too high to take him but i expect him to be a 2nd rounder.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
I said awhile ago that based on last years play i thought Scott was the better player than Will Smith.Now,Smith really elevated his game this year and SCott has had a high ankle sprain ever since the Bowling Green game and was never fully recovered. Scott has played alot of DE for OSU and is a very capable pass rusher.If he was there,i would grab him in a second in round 3.Our second round pick would probably be too high to take him but i expect him to be a 2nd rounder.

I like Smith. We've had good luck with Ohio players.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Re: Right

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Thank you Tito Paul.

:biglaugh:

I was thinking David Boston. He wasn't a bust. And don't forget about Jim Otis!

Last edited:

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
True

True Oran.....I just keep remembering how big of a bust Tito was......Jim Otis was one of my favorite players and his son is a senior this year at Ohio State.....was a football walk-on as a 5'10" QB....actually his son was a pretty decent option QB when he played high school in football in St. Louis.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Re: True

True Oran.....I just keep remembering how big of a bust Tito was......Jim Otis was one of my favorite players and his son is a senior this year at Ohio State.....was a football walk-on as a 5'10" QB....actually his son was a pretty decent option QB when he played high school in football in St. Louis.

I almost lost my college job because of Tito, but I already posted that story last week...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want an impact player, No Trading down its stupid. Who would you rather have right now Pace and Johnson or a groomed Leftwich, ready to start next season as our new QB. Trading down I don't like at all.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Re: Exactly

I just don't think we'll fill the new stadium with McCown.

This is a great point that hasn't been mentioned enough. We need some star power at the QB position that we haven't had since probably Lomax. That is why I think we'll take Manning if he's there. The Bidwill's can't afford a half-empty stadium when the Cards move into their new home.

IMO we can't afford to pass on a talent like Eli. Where would the Colts be without Payton? Where would Dallas have been without Aikman? Green Bay without Favre?

I think Eli can be that guy for us.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Right

Originally posted by Oran
I was thinking David Boston. He wasn't a bust. And don't forget about Jim Otis!

ah, the great ty howard!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not ready to rule out Eli anymore than I'm willing at this time to annoint him our guy.

Relying on what Kiper, Horton, Cardinal beat writers or any other so-called pundit says about a guy isn't enough.

What I'm looking for - at this time - is visual evidence on the field that certain players are impact players. If I see someone make really huge plays that show they've "got it", they get added to the short list. Until I see them make the plays, they don't go on the list.

Watch tape.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Exactly

Originally posted by Renz
This is a great point that hasn't been mentioned enough. We need some star power at the QB position that we haven't had since probably Lomax. That is why I think we'll take Manning if he's there. The Bidwill's can't afford a half-empty stadium when the Cards move into their new home.

IMO we can't afford to pass on a talent like Eli. Where would the Colts be without Payton? Where would Dallas have been without Aikman? Green Bay without Favre?

I think Eli can be that guy for us.

Now I'm on the other side, what about Manning makes him a better "draw" than Josh? It's got to be the last name. Josh is no Brad Pitt but neither is Manning, Josh is probably not going to be a great "interview" guy in the NFL, but neither is Manning, and josh is certainly a more "exciting" player in that he moves around better and freewheels it. If they were equal players I would submit that Josh could draw just as well as Eli, it's going to come down to who we think is the better QB.

And to really get a feel for that we have to wait until Josh starts Sunday in Seattle and goes up against the Seahawk team that outscored the Cards 31-0 with josh at QB in Arizona earlier this year, the only home game all year we weren't in the game with a shot of winning.

If he plays well Sunday maybe we have something, if he struggles and the team gets routed on the road again we'll all be talking Eli on Sunday evening and Monday morning.

It sure is interesting to have something else to talk about though with josh starting.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I agree with an earlier post. We need to get Defense in FA. And start the draft with Impact offense. Like a franchise QB. Generally it takes a while for that great college defensive player to mold. especially on the DL. A corner or LB could impact the second year though. Very Rare a DL does.I don't think we go Corner with the #1 or 2 pick. I would not like us to trade down either. After the top say sixth pick it's a crap shoot IMO.