Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Q baby!!! What a difference three weeks make. They couldn't score with runners in scoring position but now thet are. Yes!!!

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
And sweet, my old friend Ricky Bottalico in line to get the win in his first game after being called up from Tucson. His last win was in September, 2001 against John Smoltz according to the announcers.

He was always one of my favorites, glad to see him get his chance with you guys after arm surgery last year.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ricky threw a nasty slider to get out of an 8th inning jam. Looks really good he will get the win.

Wow! Villareal just got nailed in the chest with a line drive and he is staying in. This guy is tough.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn, he was out at first. replay showed Villareal's foot hit the bag. Tying run up at bat in Bagwell.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No! 7-5 now with the tying run on first and the go ahead at the plate. I think they're bring in Myers.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OMG! Myers just threw a wild pitch that was not close. Damn it, he just hit the batter. This is unbelievable. Myers is now getting yanked after two pitches. I think his Diamondback days are numbered. I think they have to trade him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew! Thank God -I thought for a second that thius could have been one of those games that derails a team - good win - let's get tomorrow's and get within 4!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way to go Brady!!! My MVP's are Gonzo, Q and Brady. What is funny is right after the game they went to Fox's sportscenter and they already mentioned how Myers could be gone.

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
guys, just so you don't forget, it was webb who gave us a window to win with in the first place. egad, we owe this boy some wins! i hate it when pitchers play great like that and the team doesn't come through for them.

when the time comes we'll have johnson, schilling, batista, and webb.

compare that with clemens, wells, mussina, pettite and contreras.

right. so who, really, has the best rotation in the majors? btw, so much for the "best 3-pitcher rotation" category. has anyone checked out oakland's power 3? i'd go with johnson schil and webb any day.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to see Ricky pitching. He was the first closer I ever had in a fantasy league, years ago. His slider is nasty when its on.

Wish we could have gotten Webb the win, but the Dbacks won, so that is what is important. Webb is quietly putting himself in ROY contention.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Is anyone else starting to believe that this team is gonna be something special? Now I might have just watched the 2001 Championship DVD, but you get Randy, Curt and Hildebrand on this team, along side the fact that they felt robbed last year of defending their championship due to injuries - and I think something good's brewing here.

I am not 100% on board yet but the past several days has been great. My fear is that Johnson and Schilling will come back in at spring training form when all the hitters are in midseason form and the big guns won't be immediately effective. Does that mean I think they cannot help the team? No. But we may not be thrilled with how they come out of the gate when they return. Hillenbrand...well at this point players are playing well enough at 3B that I am not too worried how quick he comes back.

I must admit though, I feel alot more confident today than I did 2 weeks ago. The other interesting thing is going to be how the vets play when they return from the DL. Remember, these were the vets who were largely responsible for the poor start.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just got home and missed Barajas' hit where the fan grabbed the ball. That fan should be thrown out of the game. You only do that when the visitors are up.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Just got home and missed Barajas' hit where the fan grabbed the ball. That fan should be thrown out of the game. You only do that when the visitors are up.

At least he got an earful! The guy next to him said, "WTF are you doing!":D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
At least he got an earful! The guy next to him said, "WTF are you doing!":D

What a moron, but you have to feel bad for that guy...getting yelled at, everyone looking at him like he's a fool...your mug on TV like 5 times...man, that would just suck.

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
What a moron, but you have to feel bad for that guy...getting yelled at, everyone looking at him like he's a fool...your mug on TV like 5 times...man, that would just suck.

Mike

Yeah, you almost have to feel bad for Dennis McKinley :)

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Down 4-3 in the 5th, time to start the rally.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow! The rally has started. Good hitting by Dellucci and when things are going well, things are going. Finley with a check swing double.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way to go Alex! He just hit another home run righthanded. Cintron has power from both sides. He definitely is the every day shortstop for a long time.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Randolph has moved pat Myers in the lefty rotation. He has some pop on his fastball. By the way, Peter Gammons was just talking about the Diamondbacks and he has jumped on the bandwagon. He said their minor league system has really been turned around and he raved about Cintron and Webb.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes!!! It's a blowout. MVP's go to Cintron, Kata and Dellucci. The hot hitting is contagious.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome win - 7 in a row, 7th straight series we've won. Great to seem them win in a blowout, as well!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
By the way, Peter Gammons was just talking about the Diamondbacks and he has jumped on the bandwagon. He said their minor league system has really been turned around and he raved about Cintron and Webb.

Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only four out of the WC now.

Team W L Pct GB Home Road Last 10 Streak
Dodgers 44 32 .579 -- 24-16 20-16 6-4 Lost 3
Expos 43 34 .558 1.5 26-13 17-21 4-6 Won 2
Phillies 39 34 .534 3.5 23-16 16-18 5-5 Lost 1
Astros 41 36 .532 3.5 23-14 18-22 4-6 Lost 2
Diamondbacks 40 36 .526 4.0 23-18 17-18 9-1 Won 7

And only four teams ahead, and we can past Houston tonight. We are making up a lot of ground.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a nice win and they are really streaking right now. The series has been won, now let's get the sweep and a much needed day off.

Better tell the Dodgers and Giants to check their rearview mirror. Thje Dbacks are creeping closer and closer. Bet their fans had already written us off.

I still question if they can keep this up with so many young players but the ride sure is nice right now. I think Joe Sr (I really don't like it when he does games) said last night that they great thing about young players is they have no memory and mistakes get forgotten quickly.

I am still amazed how much the Dbacks minor league level was getting blasted by the "experts" as being weak. I mean how weak can it be when all these guys are stepping in and playing good and there is still talk about the talent still on the farm?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good start to the third and last game against the Astros as Overbay hits the leftfield foul pole to put the Diamondbacks a 2-0 lead in the second. It was the 1000 home run in Diamondback history.