Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Good start to the third and last game against the Astros as Overbay hits the leftfield foul pole to put the Diamondbacks a 2-0 lead in the second. It was the 1000 home run in Diamondback history.

Interesting that a rookie 1B hit the first HR in Dbacks history and now a rookie 1B hits the 1000th.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dellucci is hot. Just got an rbi double and now it's 3-0.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dessens is pitching very well thru 5 innings, not allowing a run. He pitched an alright game the last time and if he can continue to improve, with Randy and Curt coming back, that will be an extra bonus. I still think the Diamondbacks will make a trade for a big bat and who knows what pitcher will be involved in that trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dessens is pitching very well thru 5 innings, not allowing a run. He pitched an alright game the last time and if he can continue to improve, with Randy and Curt coming back, that will be an extra bonus. I still think the Diamondbacks will make a trade for a big bat and who knows what pitcher will be involved in that trade.

WHY ARE YOU JINXING HIM?!

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
Where would this bat play defense though? It would have to be in the outfield and most liekly right field with all the younger guys in the infield and even prospects in the minors. Gonzo has got left, Finley has been playing a lot better in center and with Luis Terrero coming up most liekly nect year there is no need for a CFer. I really dont think we make a move, we have been playing great for a while now and with a lot of really good players coming back i just dont think its neccasary. Plus, any big bat is going to want young pitchers, and Webb is going to be the first name brought up and i sincerely hope he isnt going anywhere.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup - I' blaming this one solely on you Zona90 - and if this is the start of a down turn for the backs - YOU WILL RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON! JINXER! (I'm only half kidding:D )

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks win!!! Great homestand. They take another series. MVP's are Overbay and Dessens. Also, great pitching by Raggio and Papa Grande.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Do not dare stop this thread!

It all started when this thread was created!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matrix31
Where would this bat play defense though? It would have to be in the outfield and most liekly right field with all the younger guys in the infield and even prospects in the minors. Gonzo has got left, Finley has been playing a lot better in center and with Luis Terrero coming up most liekly nect year there is no need for a CFer. I really dont think we make a move, we have been playing great for a while now and with a lot of really good players coming back i just dont think its neccasary. Plus, any big bat is going to want young pitchers, and Webb is going to be the first name brought up and i sincerely hope he isnt going anywhere.

I would love to have a guy like Shannon Stewart or Cliff Floyd in right. I think the Diamondbacks don't have to trade Webb. They can trade Mantei and maybe Patterson or Dessens. I would feel better about this line-up with a big bat there along with Gonzo and Shea.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just gotta keep playing somewhat close to this level of baseball until the big-uns get back. They are simply amazing me right now - I don't know what else to say.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Do not dare stop this thread!

It all started when this thread was created!

I want this thread to last the entire year. It was for us to talk about the games and get everyone talking Diamondback baseball. This team is too talented not to contend and with the veterans on their way back, it should be a very interesting summer. I hope other people catch on to this thread. The more the better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll add to it...

But being outside of Arizona, it's very easy for me to say:

"Who the HELL is... <fill in the blank> ????"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somehow we got to get Curt38 back in here and on this board- he would love the faith everyone's had. And it was awesome exchanging messages with him. Anyone know how to get him back?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Finley quietly having a very solid season.

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2003 68 221 40 65 11 4 9 31 31 49 4 3 .292 .381 .500 .881

And this is with missing a week.

So I do not understand why everyone wants to get rid of him. His fielding alone would warrent him a spot sarting everyday, but he has put up some good numbers and is a better second half hitter.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
somehow we got to get Curt38 back in here and on this board- he would love the faith everyone's had. And it was awesome exchanging messages with him. Anyone know how to get him back?

Don't let his absence fool ya'.

I guarantee he's been lurking.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to have a guy like Shannon Stewart or Cliff Floyd in right. I think the Diamondbacks don't have to trade Webb. They can trade Mantei and maybe Patterson or Dessens. I would feel better about this line-up with a big bat there along with Gonzo and Shea.

Would you really trade Patterson? I wouldn't. He is going to be a good to very good pitcher. Nobody is untouchable but it would have to be a very good deal for me to trade Patterson. Dessens on the other hand I would entertain offers for...but other than another big bopper bat in the lineup, where is the weakness. I am not sure the OF is a weakness...enough of one to bring in Floyd or Shannon Stewart (who is a LF with the Jays which would necessitate a change of position for him). Now it is an issue with only 4 OFs on the roster but I have always felt, if given the chance, Dellucci could be an everyday guy. Once Bautista returns they will have their 5 OFs.

IF seems very set with the youngsters and the guys who will be returning from the DL so I am not sure you do much there. Maybe try and trade Womack for a prospect since it is plainly obvious Cintron is a player.

Starting pitching shouldn't be an issue assuming Curt and Randy are able to return to form quickly. Even the bullpen, alot of teams achilles heels, seems to be loaded pertty well.

If you are going to trade guys (Mantei, Womack,Myers), trade them for prospects so this team will always just have to reload whenever necessary.

Great win today and a fantastic homestand. Now we get a crack at the Tigers (must win games) and then we get into a critical point in the season...divisional play. This is a great opportunity for the Dbacks to show they are fully back and powerful. Each win convinces me more and more about this team.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
bump

(this is the most important thread, needs to stay on top)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No let up this weekend! For some reason I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that we're gonna overlook these guys this weekend and drop 2 of 3 - gotta win the series, at worst 2 of 3 - if not a sweep - keep building momentum- that way, if there is a minor fallback to earth - we can sustain it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
No let up this weekend! For some reason I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that we're gonna overlook these guys this weekend and drop 2 of 3 - gotta win the series, at worst 2 of 3 - if not a sweep - keep building momentum- that way, if there is a minor fallback to earth - we can sustain it.

Yup. Win the series first and if all goes well, they can sweep on Sunday. I certainly hope they aren't looking beyond the Tigers but with a huge stretch against division opponents it could very well happen. Talentwise they should sweep this but I definitely want 2 wins out of this.

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
AS is often said, its not who you play, its when you play them. We have been extremely hot lately, i just hope this offday doesnt hurt our momentum. Hopefully the Tigers dont get hot right now. It doesnt matter if its the worst team in the league, they can always get hot and can beat any team in a given day or series. JUst have to keep playing fundamental baseball and things shoudl be fine.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Patterson gets off to a bad start but the Diamondbacks strike back with two on Overbay's double. Nice to see Finley still hitting.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Patterson can't hold a lead. What is depressing about this is Detroit is last in almost every offensive category.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least were not the Marlins pitching staff.....

Boston scored 10 runs before the first out was recorded - a new major league record.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's nice seeing Finley getting hot. He just tied it up. Young just dropped the ball. Now that is the Tigers team I'm looking at. As for the Red Sox, they scored 14 runs in the first.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, Johnny Damon getting a single, double and triple in the first inning. That has to be a record. Kim is pitching and he is probably happy he is getting run support.