Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
actually, it's a good thing to have such faith in elmo. he's playing really well right now. and though randy isn't up to his standards, he's still a bit more than average. and there are signs that he's getting in shape: people (admittedly manager and teammates) swear his stuff is coming back. it's all just a matter of time. i'd really rather he straighten his kinks before the postseason anyway.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mondesi makes a great catch. Elmer pitching very well and the bullpen needs the rest.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mathews goes deep and it is now 4-2. Elmer has pitched very well but maybe it's time to bring someone in from the bullpen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smolder
i'd really rather he straighten his kinks before the postseason anyway.

I totally agree there. come on bully - get six outs and were basically tied for the wild card!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why was Dessens batting there? He's taken them as far as he's able to - if he pitches the 8th I will once again question Brenly sanity. Come on - go to the bullpen - seal the win and get all the way back in the race.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dessens is in there because he is a very good batter and they don't waste a pinch hitter. Oropesa just blew the lead. One run in and man on third and no outs. Why not bring in Valverde? Brenly is an idiot.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Dessens is in there because he is a very good batter and they don't waste a pinch hitter. Oropesa just blew the lead. One run in and man on third and no outs. Why not bring in Valverde? Brenly is an idiot.
I agree. I have no clue why Brenly keeps pitching Oropesa. He doesn't have it right now. He goes through periods of good pitching, but then he goes bad, very bad and you can't pitch him.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nevin ties the game. Valverde hung a 0-2 curveball for a double. Need to hold them guys.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn it. 5-4 Padres. They better not do a Phillie tonight. If they lose I blame Brenly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh! Anyone notice our offesnive juggernaut of an offense has a robust 4 hits again tonight? This team is the very definition of frustrating.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not by any means, a Bob Brenly apologist, however, I think it's somewhat idiotic that they only have 11-pitchers on their staff... Typically, most teams have 12-13 (perhaps 1 to use in "mop-up" duty), so he's pretty much limited in his options.... He's excessively used Villarreal and Randolph and it seems that Valverde hasnt pitched that much recently, which probably lead to his ineffectiveness tonight...... I guess the injury to Koplove has really affected them than most have realized and perhaps they'll promote-up Good, Raggio, and Patterson to provide some much need relief when the roster expands on 9/1......

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is an absolutely pathetic loss to go with an already pathetic homestand. The Reds, Cubs and Pads are we're gonna be even more than halfway through? That just flat out sucks. I'm starting to think this team just doesn't want it bad enough. This is the first time all season I've been really pissed at this team - crap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow - an absolutely horrific loss - coming on the heels of an absolutely horrific loss on Sunday - this team is just choking it away down the stretch as the teams above and behind them try to hand it to them on a silver platter.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dessens deserved better. I guess you can't say much but go get them tomorrow. If this team loses the wild card by one game they have to look at this one. Brenly is an idiot. He does not know how to use a bullpen if his life depended on it. 2001 World Series showed he was not smart. Curt and Randy saved Brenly's a$$ against the Yankees.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curt goes tomorrow and hopefully they can take the series.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
I know it's up to the pitchers to pitch and the hitters to hit, but whatever happened to having defined roles on the club, mainly in the bullpen?? This hunch-playing crap by BB is killing our chances at post-season play, and tonight's fiasco was a shining example of that!! Did BB honestly think Oropesa would pitch his way out of his two week funk? Does BB think that Hillenbrand will miraculously stop swinging at anything thrown within six feet of home plate? Like Zona90 said, BB was lucky to have Schilling & Johnson bail his butt out of trouble in '01, but now the going is a bit tougher, and he needs to become a little more conventional in his gametime planning & handling of the players.

Sorry for the babbling, but there is no way we should have lost tonight - - we could have been only one-half game out of the WC lead!!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Marlins are down 4-0 in the 6th and the Phillies are down 5-1 in the 6th. The Diamondbacks need to win tonight. Take the series and bring on the Giants who will be without Barry.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curt gets out of the first with a double play. 0-0 bottom of the first. Good news Marlins have lost.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finley gets a triple and drives in two. 2-0 with Curt pitching.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More great news, the Phillies lost so the Diamondbacks must win this game. Where is everyone? We're in a pennant race.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curt just gave up 4 runs in the 3rd, down 4-2. They can't lose another game to the last place Padres.