Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baerga called out on strikes (iffy call)...

Crap.

I didn't watch the whole game, but Randy only gave up 2 runs. Talk about a freaking stinky offense.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't believe this team is still in the playoff race with this offense. The home plate umpire gave some really ugly called strikes to the Giants. There was a pitch thrown to Spivey that was low and outside by far and he called it.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Why can't we score any runs?

I think that is a good question, don't you?

All I have to say is...dang...

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just got home from the game. Really thought they were going to pull it out in the 9th. The pitch to Baerga was close. Did the replay show if it was a strike? Got to forget about this game and go get them tomorrow.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Why can't we score any runs?

I think that is a good question, don't you?
Here's my two cents! Because when opposing pitchers pick up on our team philosophy -- go for the long ball / try to pull everything -- they can make our batters look foolish . . . as they have been.

For example, you pitch a lefty batter, who's trying to pull the ball, on the outside corner consistently, he's going to ground out to 2B or popup alot.

If the players we count on for RBI's started going for the gaps in right-center or left-center, or tried to line the ball right up the middle, or bloop hits over 2B or SS, we wouldn't be a .500 team.

The American League approach -- swing for the seats and wait for the Big Fly -- just doesn't work in the National League. NL pitchers are too smart for that -- even rookies.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by BC867
Here's my two cents! Because when opposing pitchers pick up on our team philosophy -- go for the long ball / try to pull everything -- they can make our batters look foolish . . . as they have been.

For example, you pitch a lefty batter, who's trying to pull the ball, on the outside corner consistently, he's going to ground out to 2B or popup alot.

If the players we count on for RBI's started going for the gaps in right-center or left-center, or tried to line the ball right up the middle, or bloop hits over 2B or SS, we wouldn't be a .500 team.

The American League approach -- swing for the seats and wait for the Big Fly -- just doesn't work in the National League. NL pitchers are too smart for that -- even rookies.

:thumbup:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baerga just hit a single, Gonzo scored to make it 1-1 game in the 4th.

LETS GO DBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Giants have now taken the lead as a ball goes over Gonzo's head. Now Hammock makes a bone-headed play by throwing to third instead of getting the sure out at third. If the play was a force at third then throw it but it wasn't.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks still down 3-1 in the bottom of the 7th.

Baerga just got on base, with 3 outs remaining.

It seems everytime the DBacks are in need of a spark, Baerga is the man to do it.

And as I'm typing this, Finley just hit a single - 2 men on with 0 outs! COME ON OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my bad. Did I say spark?

No, it's more like a wet smelly blanket being thrown across the team.

*sigh*

2 on with 0 outs.... and the end result is nothing. At least they are consistent about it.

It's getting harder and harder to get excited about this team :(

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is Dessens pitching in the 8th inning?

Is it because our bullpen is being stretched too thin?

:confused:

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope Brenly plays Spivey tomorrow because Counsell is not hitting period. Big game tomorrow.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No posts about today's game is no surprise. The offense is PATHETIC! This team needs to run a 5-6 game winning streak now. It will be tough unless we can have Barry Bonds for a week.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got to keep the faith. Here is some good news. The Marlins lost 3-2 to the Pirates and the Phillies are losing 3-2 in the 8th. A win tonight and the Diamondbacks are only 3 out.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Did I just hear Schulte correctly - Shea hit a home run?? Wow...:D

We need this one - - and several more like it!!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shea homers to make it 1-0 in the second. Maybe he feels more comfortable at the plate now that he is playing third instead of first.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nevins crushes Capuano's fastball. Matthews just now hits a double. Could be an early exit for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake