Sherman coming back for interview number 2

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is Sherman disliked so much on this board?

Why so much love for Chow, Rivera, etc.?

Just asking.

Asked and answered several times. Search for it.

BTW, he isn't much loved on packer boards either.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the best coaches in the playoffs today were fired in the past: Belichick (111-81 record, .578 winning %), Dungy (114-62, .647), and Shottenheimer (200-126, .613).

Don't be afraid to go after a guy who's got experience. Nobody wanted Shottenheimer in 1999 and 2000, but he's the most successful regular season guy out there.

Mike Sherman is 57-39 (.593 winning pct.).

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Well Jude LaCava just reported that Norm Chow is still highly thought of on the list.

So evidently we're back to square one

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The top 30 all-time coaches in the NFL in winning percentage -- regular season, through the 2006 season. Sherman is #29, Denny Green is #56. You'll recall Green's famous chart. That was of active coaches. I suppose Sherman can do the same and show his ranking among coaches with at least 20 games. He would be #8 on that list.

# Name W L T .Pct

1 John Madden 103 32 7 72.5%
2 Vince Lombardi 96 34 6 70.6%
3 George Allen 116 47 5 69.0%
4 Blanton Collier 76 34 2 67.9%
5 Don Shula 328 156 6 66.9%
6 Larry Wilson 2 1 0 66.7%
7 Hampton Pool 23 10 2 65.7%
8 Tony Dungy 114 62 0 64.8%
9 George Seifert 114 62 0 64.8%
10 Red Miller 40 22 0 64.5%
11 George Halas 318 148 32 63.9%
12 Joe Gibbs 145 87 0 62.5%
13 Eric Mangini 10 6 0 62.5%
14 Sean Payton 10 6 0 62.5%
15 Andy Reid 80 48 0 62.5%
16 Barry Switzer 40 24 0 62.5%
17 Mike Martz 53 32 0 62.4%
18 Bill Cowher 149 90 1 62.1%
19 Mike Shanahan 131 81 0 61.8%
20 Mike Holmgren 147 93 0 61.3%
21 Marty Schottenheimer 200 126 1 61.2%
22 Paul Brown 166 100 6 61.0%
23 Bud Grant 158 96 5 61.0%
24 Bill Walsh 92 59 1 60.5%
25 Lovie Smith 29 19 0 60.4%
26 Tom Landry 250 162 6 59.8%
27 Don McCafferty 28 17 2 59.6%
28 Curly Lambeau 226 132 22 59.5%
29 Mike Sherman 57 39 0 59.4%
30 Brian Billick 75 53 0 58.6%

56 Dennis Green 113 94 0 54.6%

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
And no, I'm not Sherman, but I don't understand the hatred for the guy, but yet the love for a unproven guy like Chow.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Jude LaCava just reported that Norm Chow is still highly thought of on the list.

So evidently we're back to square one

I used to think Jude had no pull at all, but in the past two years, he's been very accurate. :shrug:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ok now Kevin Hunt is reporting that the short list includes Sherman, Cameron, Rivera, and one or both of the Steelers assistants interviewed

So um yeah. It seems we have conflicting reports from everywhere

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
just say "no" to the pear-shaped loser, Mike Sherman

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Assistants...

Okay so if we hire Sherman which I am fairly certain we will then who is the rest of the staff?

Ed Donatell was the D coord. in Green Bay when Sherman was in charge Has been D coord in ATL recently, he calls a pretty conservative D.

Tom Rossley was O coord. ..wonder if he will try to get those guys again because I think both of em are out there.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Ok now Kevin Hunt is reporting that the short list includes Sherman, Cameron, Rivera, and one or both of the Steelers assistants interviewed

So um yeah. It seems we have conflicting reports from everywhere

Sherman, Cameron, and Grimm would be a great short list. But it be better with Chow. (I think I've posted this same comment about 55 times today.)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Urban's updated article.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=82105

Cardinals narrow coaching search
By Darren Urban, Tribune
January 10, 2007

After interviewing eight head coaching candidates in eight days, the Cardinals didn’t take long to regroup before starting with Round 2.

Vice president of football operations Rod Graves said Wednesday the team has a “short list” and that Mike Sherman — who was the first outside candidate to be interviewed — will return to Tempe today for a second interview.

That does not necessarily mean Sherman, the assistant head coach of the Houston Texans, is the front-running candidate, Graves said.

The Cardinals are in position, however, to strike a deal at any time to secure their new coach, Graves added.

“We’re not ruling anything out at this point,” Graves said. “I don’t want to handicap our list in any way. We will let the process dictate how quickly we move.”

Beyond that, however, Graves declined to say how many names the “short list” contained or whether it has any assistant coaches whose teams remain in the playoffs.

One NFL source said Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron are also expected to be on the “short list.”

Graves said, as the Cards did with Sherman, the team plans to announce other second interviews as they happen.

“We will bring others back in depending on our process and whether or not we feel it is necessary,” Graves said.

Graves all but ruled out any surprises, noting that the team’s initial list “in all likelihood” contains the next coach.

The Cardinals cannot talk any further to any candidate whose team is still playing, meaning any interest in Cameron or fellow playoff assistant coaches Jim Caldwell of Indianapolis or Ron Rivera of Chicago would have to wait.

Chow could be brought back right away if the Cards choose to do so, as could Steelers assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt. The Cards may be waiting to see what Pittsburgh does with its coaching vacancy — both Whisenhunt and Grimm are top candidates for that job — before adding either one to their “short list.”

The eighth candidate is holdover Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, although Pendergast’s inclusion is believed to be as a courtesy.

Graves said the first round of interviews lasted between six and eight hours apiece and was “revealing.”

“It brought home to us why the teams these individuals have been associated with have developed a winning character,” Graves said.

The Cardinals are expected to continue bringing in current players to meet with prospective coaches. While no players have sat in on the interview process, key members like Anquan Boldin, Adrian Wilson and Matt Leinart have been “involved to a certain extent,” according to the team.

Graves had acknowledged as much the day after Dennis Green was fired, when he noted that bringing in as many of the candidates to Tempe was important in part because it was an “opportunity for a few of our players to be involved, to get to know the candidates and expressing their thoughts of where we are.”

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Somers' updated article

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0111cardscoach0111.html

Sherman lands on short list
Team brings in ex-Packers coach for 2nd interview

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 11, 2007 12:00 AM

The Cardinals have narrowed their search for a new head coach to a short list of candidates. Just how short, they aren't saying.

The team announced Wednesday it will hold a second interview with former Packers coach Mike Sherman today. But club officials wouldn't reveal other names or say how many candidates were on the short list.

"I don't want to handicap the coaches on our list," said Rod Graves, the team's vice president for football operations. "We still have some ground to cover."

Graves, however, said there are no mystery candidates and that one of the eight men interviewed in the past nine days likely will be hired.

Graves wouldn't rule out the team settling on a head coach before interviewing everyone on their "short list" again. And there are indications that Sherman, who spent last season as the Texans' assistant head coach, has emerged as the leading candidate.

He and his wife, Karen, flew to the Valley Wednesday, but NFL sources said he has not been offered the job.

Sherman coached six years in Green Bay, guiding the Packers to a 53-27 record in his first five seasons. He was fired after the club went 4-12 in 2005.

NFL sources said Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who interviewed Monday, had not yet received a call for a second interview. Chow was believed to be a leading contender for the job, given his close relationship with Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart.

The Cardinals have been open about the interview process, revealing both the names of candidates and the interview schedule.

They could be withholding the names of the other final candidates for several reasons. Three of the men interviewed - Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell - are still coaching in the playoffs. The Cardinals can't talk to them again until their teams' seasons are over, so there would be no sense tipping their hand.

It's also possible that the Cardinals have settled on Sherman but have yet to consummate a deal. By not revealing the names of other candidates on the short list, the team protects itself should things not work out with Sherman.

The Cardinals interviewed eight candidates in eight days, concluding Tuesday with Russ Grimm, assistant head coach of the Steelers. Grimm and fellow Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt, also a Cardinals candidate, have interviewed for the Steelers job, which opened last week when Bill Cowher resigned.

That position would be their first choice, and the Cardinals might be delaying until the Steelers make a decision, perhaps in the next few days.

The Cardinals also interviewed defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, but he's not believed to be a finalist.

Graves, who conducted the interviews along with owner Bill Bidwill and his son Michael, the team's vice president, called the interview process "fascinating, very revealing.

"I think it's really hit home to us why the teams these individuals have been associated with have developed a winning character," Graves said. "A lot of credit goes to the people who hired these individuals.

"There are things that ring true for all of them. They are committed to excellence. They have a burning desire to win, and they have a plan for getting their present personnel to play at a championship level."

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Graves, who conducted the interviews along with owner Bill Bidwill and his son Michael, the team's vice president, called the interview process "fascinating, very revealing.

"I think it's really hit home to us why the teams these individuals have been associated with have developed a winning character," Graves said. "A lot of credit goes to the people who hired these individuals.

Why do I get the picture of these guys going.... doh... that's what was missing!

Did you hear that?

That's probably why we've lost all these years.... golly gee.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
:lame:

Why tell that you have a short list then only mention one name on it. :bang:

They interviewed for petes sake! Everyone knows they are interested in the job.

Maybe because he's the only guy that they can talk to right now.

They won't mention Grimm or Whisenhunt, since they might not be available, so if they mention names, they are also exposed as having been turned down by e.g. Whisenhunt.

They aren't allowed to talk to Rivera and or Cameron, so why mention them?

The only thing this tells me is, that Chow is off the list.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The only thing this tells me is, that Chow is off the list.
Not necessarily. I think I read it in one of these reports that names will be announced as they are called in for the 2nd interview. Or maybe he is out... :shrug:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I had really high hopes this time which should have been my first warning sign.

This is common, it's easy for even me a 30+ year fan to succumb to. Every year and especially every coaching change this little bud of hope blossoms into a giant oak tree of wildly overblown expectations and then...........

Reality takes out the chain saw and undoes the whole thing in about 30 seconds.

Some years they go so far as to saw it down, laugh hysterically while doing it, then incinerate what's left and take a leak on the ashes, other years they just saw it down but survival of that hope is most definitely not an option.

Last edited:

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
It seems that Chow is off of the list although Grimm is a strong possibility. They may just be waiting/hoping that the Steelers hire Whisenhunt.

Who's to say Chow didn't nail the interview so there is no reason to bring him back. EJ said whatever happens do right by the QB. Leinert said Chow is who he wants. He's either on the list or the front runner IMO.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You Sherman supporters are borderline myopic. The guy is a retread no if's and's or but's. There is no opinion there. He had Mike Holmgrens team and ROn Wolf's players and did nothing with them. He had one of the greatest QB's of all time and did nothing with them. Ironically Pete Carroll and Sherman are two guys over the past decade and thought "Man - those guys suck as coaches"

Keep convincing yourselves that Sherman was okay in Green Bay and that this is a good hire. The bottom line is he will not out gameplan any other coaches and won't be much of a motivational force either. The guy is so mediocre it makes me sick. And i won't be wrong about this either. Why doesn't anybody think about how he was Assistant HC for the Texans last year. Exactly what has he done that inspires any confidence for anyone? Someone please tell me??? He had a 12 -4 record one year but Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl with a bunch of HOF's on auto pilot then piece by piece and bad decision by bad decision drove the team into the ground.

What a joke. OF COURSE the Bidwills make this decision. Bill should be tied and quartered. This is like a bad dream. or more accurately like Groundhog Day. I'm not sure there are many coaches PERIOD i would be less happy with.

That friggin idiot Bidwill is going to destroy the career of the best thing that has ever happened to this team in Leinart and all we can do is stand by and watch. I HATE BILL BIDWILL! If this hire is made - I am cheering for Leinart and that's it. I can't do this anymore.

And if you think i am overreacting just watch what happens over the next few years. I can't say for sure who would be the best hire as most of the guys don't have any proven track record. But i can tell you has been given a chance and has shown he f--king sucks. Sherman.

Please God - smile on me and let this fall through. Please.......

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
In the end, it is Rod Graves and the Bidwill's making the decision, not us. Relax a little and see what they do.

Nobody is right or wrong. We're on the outside looking in. Nobody knows what is happening in those interviews. And whomever they choose, we will all have to live with it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05