Sherman coming back for interview number 2

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Just because I respect someone's decision-making does not mean their decisions are always right. And at the same time, you could say the HC and wife who are in Arizona today are the #1 choice of the Bidwills which cancels out anything positive Wolf said about him.

So using that logic, you will hate whomever the Bidwills hire.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and those first three years he was playing with a hand dealt to him by Ron Wolf while Sherman guys started gettting into it later and not suprsingly the team begane to regress. Man Russ, the last guy I thought that would be justifying this disgraceful potential hire is you. Anyone who saw Sherman's teams play knew they were a mirage, that's why he was run out of Green Bay on a rail less than 24 months ago.

Like I said I just don't see the obvious stuff that would get me to understand why Sherman's time in Green Bay was a mirage?

I understand the status quo stuff, the they like him because he will do what they want. I understand that and agree. But I don't see any issues with his coaching in Green Bay. He won't be the GM here, if Graves blows draft picks that won't be SHerman's fault.

At least he has some personnel experience to fall back on, Grimm doesn't, Caldwell doesn't, none of the other guys we interviewed do.

I thought we were going to hire Chow but I think it's pretty clear he didn't want our assistants and that seems to have cost him a shot at the job. If we're going to require a HC to take some of the assistants, I think Sherman sounds like a good coach at least?

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The 2001 Rams lost in the Superbowl and led the entire NFL in scoring.

2002 Falcons that was a game GB should have won, lost at home.

Note there were 2 playoff games(one a wildcard game) they won in his time there so he's not 0-4 lifetime in the playoffs.

Yeah, Russ is right and Sun City Carl posted misleading information.

Sherman is 2-4 in the playoffs. The Packers won two games and lost four.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So using that logic, you will hate whomever the Bidwills hire.
I just think whoever the Bidwills hire will inevitably be a poor hire. I got 50 years of evidence to back up that claim too.

No personal problem with Sherman, seems like a nice family guy who backs up his players. I just don't think he can coach, an assertion backed up by the Green Bay Packers and the rest of the NFL not named the Bill Bidwill.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
No reason to get smoked 45-17 though.

You can't judge a game by the final score. I have no idea wht happened in that game but all you have to do is look at last week's Jets/Pats game to see that the final score isn't indicative of how the game was played.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, tell that to Dave McGinnis.

My god, you guys think we are Patriots here. We are Cardinals. The Cardinals.

In my Jim Mora voice, "The CARDINALS!!!"

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we were going to hire Chow but I think it's pretty clear he didn't want our assistants and that seems to have cost him a shot at the job. If we're going to require a HC to take some of the assistants, I think Sherman sounds like a good coach at least?

That is a big problem for me though. The fact that he would take them is an issue...not that they may be bad assistants because I think K and Loney are very good...but that he would be hired BECAUSE he wouldn't get rid of them is a red flag the size of Alaska.

Sherman won't be a bad coach, but he likely won't take us to where we could go.

We were up to the plate and had a chance to hit a home run if we swung for fences. We could have struck out, or we could have won the game. Instead, it looks like we are bunting for a single with nobody on base. :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fair enough just pointing out losing to the Rams that year wasn't an embarassment. He beat holmgren that year in the prior round of the playoffs.

I'm not arguing Mike Sherman will be the savior of the franchise, just that I don't get why everyone is convinced he did such a lousy job in Green bay.

It appears there he got in over his head trying to be HC and GM at the same time, quick who in recent history HAS succeeded doing that? Holmgren failed, green failed, hell Shanahan has been about the best at it and most Bronco fans will tell you he's not a very good GM. he won't be GM here he'll just be the HC.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Sherman won't be a bad coach, but he likely won't take us to where we could go.

It often takes a coaching interregnum to lead a team from awfulness to mediocrity, before the next coach leads them from mediocrity to greatness.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm not arguing Mike Sherman will be the savior of the franchise, just that I don't get why everyone is convinced he did such a lousy job in Green bay.
I don't think he did a lousy job, he just kept things at the status quo established by Holmgren for a few years and then bottomed out. That in my opinion is a marginal coaching and the despite being the Cardinals they still should aim higher.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Another reason to like Sherman is that he seems to like guys from Ohio State :D . He traded for Terry Glenn. Derek Combs, Kenny Peterson, BJ Sander,Na'il Diggs, and Gary Berry(hurt his neck early on) were all from THE Ohio State University.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was defending what might be a Sherman hiring but after doing that 15 minutes of research I just thought, "What the hell?" Winning means getting a Super Bowl ring, not being the Marty Shottenheimer of the NFC.

I'm kinda hoping Marty ends his big game losing streak this year!

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Okay so if we hire Sherman which I am fairly certain we will then who is the rest of the staff?

Ed Donatell was the D coord. in Green Bay when Sherman was in charge Has been D coord in ATL recently, he calls a pretty conservative D.

Tom Rossley was O coord. ..wonder if he will try to get those guys again because I think both of em are out there.

mooch as the offensive cordinator and jim mora as the defensive cordinator.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, Russ is right and Sun City Carl posted misleading information.

Sherman is 2-4 in the playoffs. The Packers won two games and lost four.

Note to all not meant to "mislead" but exactly like Dennis Green none, zero, nada super bowl rings as a H.C. nor apperances for that matter.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note to all not meant to "mislead" but exactly like Dennis Green none, zero, nada super bowl rings as a H.C. nor apperances for that matter.

If rings are a requirement, unless you count rings obtained as a player, none of the candidates qualify.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grimm and Whisenhunt won the Super Bowl as assistants last season.

Upon further review, the post said :

Originally Posted by SunCityCarl

So none qualify.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2002 Falcons that was a game GB should have won, lost at home.

Russ, Why should they have won this game? I know your not a Packer fan but why would you give them carte blanche at home? Should they expect to win? maybe. But maybe Sherman didn't have them prepared for Atlanta?

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score

Using that logic, our list would be narrowed down to the following coaches with Super Bowl rings from the last 20 years:

1. Bill Cowher
2. Bill Belichick
3. John Gruden
4. Brian Billick
5. Dick Vermeil
6. Mike Shanahan
7. Mike Holmgren
8. Barry Switzer
9. George Seifert
10. Jimmy Johnson
11. Joe Gibbs
12. Bill Parcells

Good luck hiring any of those guys except Barry Switzer.

Last edited:

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All the above is true so why not Grimm, Whisenhunt or Chow?

Like I said way, way, back if I'm gonna defend Sherman for anything he has a great regular season record, he is well organized (Mike B.'s qualifier) & the Old Man likes him? For the record the old man liked Bugel, Tobin & Mac...

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
All the above is true so why not Grimm, Whisenhunt or Chow?

Like I said way, way, back if I'm gonna defend Sherman for anything he has a great regular season record, he is well organized (Mike B.'s qualifier) & the Old Man likes him? For the record the old man liked Bugel, Tobin & Mac...

I like Rivera, Grimm, and Sherman. Whisenhunt is alright also. Chow doesn't do it for me. I like guys who've been in the NFL for years. I don't think the Cards need a "genius" leading this team, but rather a guy like Grimm who going to drive them.

I don't think Grimm or Whisenhunt will take the job, though. Graves seems to be the only guy who likes Rivera. All things point to Sherman, who has NFL experience and I'm fine with him.