• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ayton is just happy the Bahamas advance. I wouldn't read too much into it especially since he is also quoting Monty.

Speaking to the media and excitement can do that to you.

The Bahamas have never qualified for the Olympics or the FIBA World Cup in men's basketball before.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ayton has been throwing shade all summer. He also posted something on Instagram a day or two back about how "success hits different when nobody believed in you". That and the teammate quote are implying something. He's been salty for a bit now and when nothing else is going on, Suns fans hear what he's saying.
You must be registered for see images attach
You really keep trying to read more into things and always negative. Why is that? I'm not sure what your perfect NBA player is, but I'm also sure it doesn't exist.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ayton is just happy the Bahamas advance. I wouldn't read too much into it especially since he is also quoting Monty.

Speaking to the media and excitement can do that to you.

The Bahamas have never qualified for the Olympics or the FIBA World Cup in men's basketball before.
I'm sure he was but I think the best we can hope for is that his teammates get a little pissed and then write it off as Ayton being Ayton. And hopefully it will all blow over by the start of the season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure he was but I think the best we can hope for is that his teammates get a little pissed and then write it off as Ayton being Ayton. And hopefully it will all blow over by the start of the season.
Um you guys seem to be forgetting all of his former Teammate's other than Book and Ish are gone.

I really do not think that comment is an issue at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um you guys seem to be forgetting all of his former Teammate's other than Book and Ish are gone.

Well, Durant spent part of a season with him and if there is a more thin-skinned player than KD, his name escapes me. Also, Booker isn't just any old player. Do I think it will destroy the team, no. But I've spent the past couple months trying to convince myself that we might see a new era of DA and this puts some doubt into the air.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Anyone thinking Ayton's being stupid with his comments hasnt been paying attention. He knows what he's saying.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Technically KD was a teammate of Ayton's last season

And technically Ayton ignored KD's pleas on the bench last season (Book's too) against Denver in the playoffs

Book and KD obviously team leaders/captains so it's not like we're talking about a clean slate - there's definitely history there - but I'm not sweating the recent comments - I think they were more about Bahamian comradery

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking Ayton's being stupid with his comments hasnt been paying attention. He knows what he's saying.
Of course. It was a shot at Booker and maybe KD. Is it a big deal? Hope not.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think Booker or Ayton will spend any time on this if it was directed towards them. As long as he balls out, or ends up traded, I think KD and Book will roll either way. They aren't going to beg this guy all season long.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton was serious about the not getting too happy on the farm comment. And it wasn't meant to be sarcasm. He was just happy about Team Bahama advancing.

He has no reason to be upset with the current coaching staff or players.

Who wouldn't be happy about his home country advancing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally, I think Ayton's teammates will take it in context.

His comments were made after Team Bahama had done something they had never done before in basketball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Honestly I just don’t think he’s the brightest bulb in the batch. I don’t think he understands how much of what he says can be construed. It goes back to him just being a big goofy puppy. If he ever matures we should see some changes. Right now his maturation is taking a long time. Is what it is.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Of course. It was a shot at Booker and maybe KD. Is it a big deal? Hope not.

Those guys are sick of him anyway so I doubt this fuels anything extra. I think Book specifically knows at this point he’s just gotta say and do the right things regarding DA even though he doesn’t respect him.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You really keep trying to read more into things and always negative. Why is that? I'm not sure what your perfect NBA player is, but I'm also sure it doesn't exist.

I'm not creating narratives from thin air. Every issue with DA that has arisen this off-season has been brought up elsewhere. I wanted him dealt as soon as the off-season started because we have very little margin for error to compete for a title during the KD year(s). I don't want to throw this season away because we made a big change and guys need time to gel. We already doubled down on this hand, if we bust we don't have many chips to go all in on the next hand and come out ahead.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not creating narratives from thin air. Every issue with DA that has arisen this off-season has been brought up elsewhere. I wanted him dealt as soon as the off-season started because we have very little margin for error to compete for a title during the KD year(s). I don't want to throw this season away because we made a big change and guys need time to gel. We already doubled down on this hand, if we bust we don't have many chips to go all in on the next hand and come out ahead.

If a reasonable offer had presented itself, I think they would have taken it.

I think the primary reason for Ayton's decline over the last 18 months was his relationship with Monty, a problem that Monty made clear he had zero interest in fixing (despite that being a primary responsibility of his job). I look forward to seeing Ayton with a new staff. The Ayton of 20/21 and the majority of 21/22 is an elite center, it might be frustrating that he wasn't the dominant player his skill set suggest he could be, but certainly a player worth far far more than the absolute garbage offers we were allegedly getting for him this summer.

We are "all in" these next couple years, and I think gambling that Ayton returns to form or exceeds it is the far more of an "all in" play than swapping him for trash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are covered at center with the addition of Eubanks. They also have some guys that can play inside like Metu, Azubuike and perhaps even Bol Bol.

I'd like for the Suns to consider FC Usman Garuba for a two-way contract. He was waived by the Thunder.

If Ayton doesn't live up to expectations, they need to get something of value in return.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are covered at center with the addition of Eubanks. They also have some guys that can play inside like Metu, Azubuike and perhaps even Bol Bol.

I'd like for the Suns to consider FC Usman Garuba for a two-way contract. He was waived by the Thunder.

If Ayton doesn't live up to expectations, they need to get something of value in return.

I dont like the depth at Center. I believe it's their weakest spot. Eubanks may prove to be a decent backup but he's only 6'9" and is a Center simply because of how the league has changed. Metu is in a similar spot, more of a PF who can play C. Ayton will end up missing no less than a dozen games this year. He's not one to play through injuries and that's when we'll need more. Signing Azubiueke to a Two-Way helps but I'd like another real Center on the bench. Losing Biz hurts. He'd be a solid 3rd string C or occasional backup or starter if DA is out.

I dont envision Bol Bol as a Center at all. He'd be a surprise as a positive rotation player as is, IMO. Being a positive defensive rim protector would be downright shocking since he hasn't show that anywhere before, which is why he's played PF everywhere else.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief.

August. Boredom. Gotta create controversy I guess.
Seriously? You think he just casually dissed all his previous teammates because he misspoke? He may be immature but he's not stupid, he said want he wanted to say. It's controversy, we can only hope that Devin and company are willing to just laugh it off so that it soon becomes a forgotten story.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seriously? You think he just casually dissed all his previous teammates because he misspoke? He may be immature but he's not stupid, he said want he wanted to say. It's controversy, we can only hope that Devin and company are willing to just laugh it off so that it soon becomes a forgotten story.
Geez, he's not dissing his previous teammates. This is you reading more into it than is there.

I can't believe you actually are entertaining the idea that he meant it as a dis in the first place.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure Ayton has the mental acuity to come up with a diss. He said what he was thinking at the time.
It was stupid but... par for the course.
I'm sure Ishbia has talked to him and asked him if he wants to be here or not?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Gordon will be his teammate this year, so maybe it was just being stupid instead of clever.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont like the depth at Center. I believe it's their weakest spot. Eubanks may prove to be a decent backup but he's only 6'9" and is a Center simply because of how the league has changed. Metu is in a similar spot, more of a PF who can play C. Ayton will end up missing no less than a dozen games this year. He's not one to play through injuries and that's when we'll need more. Signing Azubiueke to a Two-Way helps but I'd like another real Center on the bench. Losing Biz hurts. He'd be a solid 3rd string C or occasional backup or starter if DA is out.

I dont envision Bol Bol as a Center at all. He'd be a surprise as a positive rotation player as is, IMO. Being a positive defensive rim protector would be downright shocking since he hasn't show that anywhere before, which is why he's played PF everywhere else.

Adding Eubanks helps at center but there is reason I would like the Suns to add more depth at the 4/5 as well.

Metu is probably more of a center than a power forward, but that's not saying a lot.

I'd be for the Suns adding FC Usman Garuba on a two-way contract if this were an option.

Bol Bol is sort of a wild card, but I think he can occasionally be a factor on defense when it comes to shot blocking.

I view Azubuike as insurance at center. The Suns can use a space eater inside.