• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the exuberance. We all misspeak at times and DA has opened his mouth without thinking before but to me the comment just doesn't seem like one that he'd make accidentally. Hope you guys are right.

I agree with you. I can understand why some are brushing it off but the way he said it seemed a bit calculated. He wasn't his typical bubbly self. He seemed to be speaking more direct and sounded more like an adult than he usually does. I believe the video of him saying it is available in one of the tweets. Hearing him made me think twice.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
"The best teammates I've ever been around on and off the court. Just understanding how it feels to fight for your country and everybody on the same mission. It was a phenomenal feeling."

It sounds a lot worse if you stop after reading the first sentence. Makes a lot more sense and sounds a lot less troublesome when the whole thing is read in context. Also he has never played with half of this Suns roster and barely played with KD. If it's a shot at anyone it would be Booker, but maybe they just don't click like that. Doesn't mean Booker isn't a good teammate, but just not one that Ayton really gets along with all that well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The best teammates I've ever been around on and off the court. Just understanding how it feels to fight for your country and everybody on the same mission. It was a phenomenal feeling."

It sounds a lot worse if you stop after reading the first sentence. Makes a lot more sense and sounds a lot less troublesome when the whole thing is read in context.

Well said. I'd like it even better if you stopped after the word "context."

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It sounds a lot worse if you stop after reading the first sentence. Makes a lot more sense and sounds a lot less troublesome when the whole thing is read in context. Also he has never played with half of this Suns roster and barely played with KD. If it's a shot at anyone it would be Booker, but maybe they just don't click like that. Doesn't mean Booker isn't a good teammate, but just not one that Ayton really gets along with all that well.

I agree, but as I said above the way he says it there is a separation between the first sentence and the rest. It comes across as he's saying a few different things and he pauses in between each. The video is in the tweet I'm quoting below, if you haven't heard it. Hearing it is much different than reading in this case. I think you have to hear it for better context.

Ayton also dropped a Monty quote, which is a head scratcher considering the narrative that's been pushed that they despise each other.

I think it's clear Ayton doesn't think before he talks. If he does he wouldn't continue to stick his foot in his mouth at this point.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the exuberance. We all misspeak at times and DA has opened his mouth without thinking before but to me the comment just doesn't seem like one that he'd make accidentally. Hope you guys are right.
It's not even misspeaking.

This like a wife's ability to turn every compliment you give her into an argument.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think McGee and Biyombo will find their way to an NBA roster. It's about defense with these guys, not offense. Whether it is on the Suns remains to be seen.

The Suns have scoring.

But neither are really good defensively. They can block shots coming from the weak side but other than that they offer nothing at all.

You have to be able to switch in todays game

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But neither are really good defensively. They can block shots coming from the weak side but other than that they offer nothing at all.

You have to be able to switch in todays game

I'm talking about a third center.

Similarly, except better, Cam Payne would have made a good third point guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is Cam Payne is as good a back up PG as your gonna find.

This board’s expectations are very unrealistic

We agree. However, the Suns needed another point guard for insurance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody says it’s a center driven league now. Er, wait…they don’t?

It's all good until it's not. Are you feeling good if Ayton or Eubanks get injured?

The Suns are mostly a finesse team upfront except at center and Ayton has his detractors.

I'm not counting on Metu, Bol Bol, or Azubuike (TW) to be that guy. Personally, I like depth at forward/ center.

Again, I'd be for the Suns adding FC Usman Garuba on a two-way contract if this were an option.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all good until it's not. Are you feeling good if Ayton or Eubanks get injured?

The Suns are mostly a finesse team upfront except at center and Ayton has his detractors.

I'm not counting on Metu, Bol Bol, or Azubuike (TW) to be that guy. Personally, I like depth at forward/ center.

Again, I'd be for the Suns adding FC Usman Garuba on a two-way contract if this were an option.
I'd like better depth at the 1 and the 5 too. But the odds of finding quality depth that's willing to sit at the end of the bench and do it for peanuts is pretty slim.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like better depth at the 1 and the 5 too. But the odds of finding quality depth that's willing to sit at the end of the bench and do it for peanuts is pretty slim.

I didn't trade Cam Payne and I suggested a player the Suns might want to check out at forward/center on a two-way contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t it ironic that you say this? We have a 1 AND a 5 on 2-way contracts.

Chaplin, I'm always about being proactive in regard to depth. I like having Udoka Azubuike and Saban Lee on two-way contracts.

Adding another forward/center like Guruba, if he were available, on a two-way contract would be along the same line of thinking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin, I'm always about being proactive in regard to depth. I like having Udoka Azubuike and Saban Lee on two-way contracts.

Adding another forward/center like Guruba, if he were available, on a two-way contract would be along the same line of thinking.
I don't think it's about being proactive. Most of our key players are injury prone but even if they weren't, the quality of our depth would still be a concern until we actually see them together in games. So yeah, I'd love to have bubble Payne and an extra big that could actually hold down the 5 spot when needed but it's just not feasible IMO.

The guy you suggested for a two way contract would be a nice get (I'm guessing, I don't really know much about him) but why would he come here? We'd be offering the minimum and the promise of very little court time if any. Unless we're committed to moving DA by midseason, I'm just not sure we can give him what he'd need.

Same problem with Payne. We brought in Gordon and Beal and they both need regular playing minutes at a guard spot. On top of that we have Goodwin who is arguably a better PG than Cam. We can maybe get by for a few minutes playing one of them at the 3 but it's not ideal for us or for them.

So Payne would sit on the bench until injuries forced him onto the court and he's the last player I'd want to use in that manner. Not to beat a dead horse but whenever CamP returns to the court after an absence he struggles with his decision making, his shot selection and his ability to process the game. I'd almost rather use him as the starter than an end of the bench PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's about being proactive. Most of our key players are injury prone but even if they weren't, the quality of our depth would still be a concern until we actually see them together in games. So yeah, I'd love to have bubble Payne and an extra big that could actually hold down the 5 spot when needed but it's just not feasible IMO.

The guy you suggested for a two way contract would be a nice get (I'm guessing, I don't really know much about him) but why would he come here? We'd be offering the minimum and the promise of very little court time if any. Unless we're committed to moving DA by midseason, I'm just not sure we can give him what he'd need.

Same problem with Payne. We brought in Gordon and Beal and they both need regular playing minutes at a guard spot. On top of that we have Goodwin who is arguably a better PG than Cam. We can maybe get by for a few minutes playing one of them at the 3 but it's not ideal for us or for them.

So Payne would sit on the bench until injuries forced him onto the court and he's the last player I'd want to use in that manner. Not to beat a dead horse but whenever CamP returns to the court after an absence he struggles with his decision making, his shot selection and his ability to process the game. I'd almost rather use him as the starter than an end of the bench PG.

I believe in planning for as many foreseeable circumstances as possible. My guess is every thing is not going to work out perfectly with the Suns roster... things seldom do.

It's better to have the best players possible on the standard roster and on two-way contracts. I like as many options as possible.

For me, it's all about talent, depth and having players that want to be here. Cam Payne wanted to remain a Sun so I would have liked to have kept him. He would have been a trade piece if things didn't work out.

As far as Guruba being interested in the Suns, I have no idea. However, when I see an interesting player waived, it doesn't hurt to inquire.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree in an ideal world you would like to be three deep at every spot. In practicality, with not enough talent in the league overall, it's just wishful thinking. Every team is low at one spot on the floor. You can worry all you want, and injuries are unpredictable. Guys at your deepest spot may all get hurt, while a spot you are thin at plays every game. I know it's months from tip off, but worrying about MORE depth is futile at this point. Later on when cuts come, trade deadline, etc, there will be more guys available. Right now we would be just picking up the best of a low market on talent.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm curious and this isn't directed at you alone but all of those who have been voiced their displeasure for Payne's game why he is solely blamed for his offensive struggles while Ayton, Durant, Paul, Craig, Okogie, and virtually every other Sun who struggled offensively led to those same folks blaming Monty for their issues. Why is Payne seemingly the only guy who doesn't get a pass because Monty couldn't gameplan? Seems odd to me. As a PG, he was more directly in charge of following Monty's plans since the PG is the QB of the offense. If anyone deserves a pass, it's the PG since they're locked into a more defined role but he's the only guy whose decisions seemed to be his own fault, according to some posters. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying Payne was perfect, he did struggle when he returned from injury. It also seemed Monty would trust him some nights and not others, regardless of whether his play matched that level of trust, good or bad. He did contribute here and played about as well as any backup PG in the league though. He also stepped his game regularly when called upon to start in Paul's place. I don't believe he deserves the hate or negativity some have shown given how he was a consummate professional here and genuinely wanted to be here, never being an off court problem from all accounts or complaining about his role, or lack of one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious and this isn't directed at you alone but all of those who have been voiced their displeasure for Payne's game why he is solely blamed for his offensive struggles while Ayton, Durant, Paul, Craig, Okogie, and virtually every other Sun who struggled offensively led to those same folks blaming Monty for their issues. Why is Payne seemingly the only guy who doesn't get a pass because Monty couldn't gameplan? Seems odd to me. As a PG, he was more directly in charge of following Monty's plans since the PG is the QB of the offense. If anyone deserves a pass, it's the PG since they're locked into a more defined role but he's the only guy whose decisions seemed to be his own fault, according to some posters. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying Payne was perfect, he did struggle when he returned from injury. It also seemed Monty would trust him some nights and not others, regardless of whether his play matched that level of trust, good or bad. He did contribute here and played about as well as any backup PG in the league though. He also stepped his game regularly when called upon to start in Paul's place. I don't believe he deserves the hate or negativity some have shown given how he was a consummate professional here and genuinely wanted to be here, never being an off court problem from all accounts or complaining about his role, or lack of one.
I don't think he deserves the hate or negativity he sometimes gets here either but that doesn't mean I want to keep him in a key role. AFAIC he's shown that he isn't capable of being the number 2 PG because he's just too injury prone. When he's healthy and up to speed he might be the best backup PG in the game and he's on a very reasonable contract for that level of responsibility. But he's frequently not "up to speed" and with injury prone stars on the roster, keeping one more seems unnecessarily risky to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser