Speculation on final big man

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I know we have somewhat covered this topic already but I figured it deserved its own thread. From reports it seems that the Suns are seeking to fill one of the last rotation spots with big man that would come in at around the $3.6 million TE.

Here's a list from Arles of the RealGM board. He gives a pretty good breakdown

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=547095

I figured a thread to speculate about the final big man addition was needed. Here are the options as I see it (* means they qualify for our TE). I listed them in the order I would prefer.

Tony Battie - $5.7 million in last season (Orlando)
- Perfect fit for what we need, but has bad knees and doesn't work for the TE.

Calvin Booth* - $1 million in last season (Washington)
- Maybe the best mix of defense and salary out there. Always underachieved and hasn't panned out in numerous situations.

Vitaly Potapenko* - $3.6 million in last season (Sacramento)
- Another nice fit, but in the same division. If the Kings would move him for the TE and a 2nd, he'd be a decent choice (but it's doubtful).

Zeljko Rebraca* - $3.2 million this season, $3.4 team option next (Clippers)
- Nice fit for what we need, but raw as an NBA center (did well in Europe). Would the Clips move him to us for just the TE and a 2nd?

Dwayne Jones* - $670K in last season (Celtics)
- Sleeper in that he's big (6-11, 250) and a very good shotblocker. Might not be a bad option, but is still pretty raw.

Eddie Griffin* - $2.6 million this season, $2.9 next (Minnesota)
- Decent fit for a fair price. Offseason issues and attitude may scare us away - but also make him tradeable.

Jake Tsakalidis* - $2.9 million in last season (Memphis)
- Runs the floor better than he used to. Was very productive last season in limited minutes, but it's not sure how well he fits Phoenix.

Malik Allen* - $1.8 million in last season (Bulls)
- nice size (6-10, 260) and a good back to the basket player. Not a great shotblocker but rebounds well.

Steven Hunter* - $3 million per for 4 more years (Philly)
- awful hands but can defend. Longer contract than I would like

Chris Taft* - 660K in last season (Golden State)
- Big body that can run and defend. not a great shotblocker or offensive player.

Dale Davis* - $3.5 mil in final season (Detroit)
- Ancient (37) and doesn't offer much at this stage. Still, he can rebound and defend if need be.

Pape Sow* - 770K in final year (Toronto)
- Recovering from a serious injury. Doubtful he is an option.

Michael Doleac* - $2.8 million this year, $3.2 next year (Miami)
- Decent big body. Not much of a defender though. Expendable with Shaq and Alonzo back.

Mikki Moore* - $1.1 million in last season (Seattle)
- Really skinny, but runs the floor well. Doesn't rebound well and lacks bulk to defend quality centers.

Name any more you can think of that are available for what we can offer, preferably with a short contract

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
If we could get a guy that will net us close to 40 minutes per game in rotation with Thomas, we'll be in good shape up front. We can also get the additional 8 minutes at the 5 covered by Stoudemire and Diaw. The additional 96 minutes at the 3 and 4 would be easy as pie to cover with Stoudemire, Marion, Diaw, Jones and even Bell in spots....

Nash

Reaction score
Malik Allen looks like the best of the lot. Is he good enough to play 20 mins per game? KT, IMO will play 20-24 mins max so the big we bring in should be able to fill in for 15-25 mins.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whoever we bring in at this spot will be getting 10 mins a game max, and will probably have a few DNP's as well.

Kolo

Reaction score
Aaron Williams is a UFA. I doubt Melvin Ely could be had with the Salmons trade exception money we can still offer.

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Another option via Informer from phxsuns.net ... Maceo Baston. I don't know much about the guy since he played in Europe most of his career but if the articles give an accurate description of his game, he sounds like a good fit.

Even though Parker and Vujcic were both incredible in the semi-finals against Tau, it might have actually been Maceo Baston who left the strongest impression on NBA scouts that were in attendance in Prague. Besides the fact that he shattered the records for blocked shots and rebounds in a single Final Four game, the way he put up his numbers screamed NBA with every action he made.

Most impressive was the way he put an absolute lid on the rim in the first half, coming up with 5 super athletic blocks (already tying the record) in the first half alone. He got them both from the weak-side as well as on his own man, using his superb length, timing and incredible leaping ability to either swat away or alter anything that was even remotely in his area. There probably isn’t another player in all of Europe who is as quick off his feet as Baston is.

What was most surprising though were the skills he showed on the offensive end. Coming out of college at Michigan and during his short tenure in the NBA, Baston was always known as a player who couldn't score outside of 5 feet if his life depended on it. Three years with Maccabi has made him into a player who can now step outside and knock down 3-pointers and mid-range jumpers as he showed on a number of occasions here. Even his ball-handling has improved to the point that he is no longer a liability as he once was. He finished the first game with a game high 20 points on 8/10 shooting (2/2 3P) to go along with 7 rebounds and 6 blocks in 28 minutes.

His performance didn’t fall off as sharply as some of his teammates in the finals against CSKA either. Even though he wasn't nearly as much of a factor on the offensive end (shooting just 1/6 from the field), he again showed off his incredible tenacity and leaping ability to pull down a Final Four record 15 rebounds. His man to man and team defense were again excellent even though he only came up with 2 blocks this time around.

As far as the NBA goes, from what Baston told us himself a few months back, he is certainly not opposed to the idea. It would take at least a multi-year guaranteed contract, but considering the lack of depth amongst this year’s free agent class big men, that does not seem unreasonable at all. Baston told us he has a limited window this summer where he has an option to leave the team for the NBA only if the right offer comes along.

More links about Baston

http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=20&id=1078
http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=BMP

Like I said I'm just listing off options and seeing which one sticks

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone know the numbers on Jamaal Magloire's contract? He's been rumored to be on the move. I wonder what it would take to get him? And if anyone here would be interested?

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
anyone know the numbers on Jamaal Magloire's contract? He's been rumored to be on the move. I wonder what it would take to get him? And if anyone here would be interested?

Per Hoopshype, he makes $8.3 million next year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Per Hoopshype, he makes $8.3 million next year.

how many years left on that contract? Personally, if I were the Suns, I'd try and make a deal for him. I'm worried about KT's durability and believe Magloire to be a better/YOUNGER version of KT who would fit perfectly at the 5 here in Phoenix. I just wonder how the deal could possibly get done.

I'm a little rusty on this, but can you add the trade exception to a player/pick in a deal to match salaries?

nowagimp

Reaction score
with guys like "over the hill and dale" davis, "The Big immobile"(like the big aristotle) Jake Tsakalidis, Calvin "i cant believe I saw him move" Booth, Tony "my knees hurt" Batie, and Steven "cant catch OR shoot" Hunter, I am rapidly becoming a fan of LAMPE!!

The suns will lose two of their best perimeter shooters in Eddie House and TT, so I think a big with a real outside shot like Lampe may fit better for the suns. Maybe Ivaroni can play obe one kenobe to the kid and help him improve on his weaknesses in the post. Ivaroni is a great coach for bigs and might be able to bring Lampe along nicely.

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
how many years left on that contract? Personally, if I were the Suns, I'd try and make a deal for him. I'm worried about KT's durability and believe Magloire to be a better/YOUNGER version of KT who would fit perfectly at the 5 here in Phoenix. I just wonder how the deal could possibly get done.

Next year is the last year on his deal

I'm a little rusty on this, but can you add the trade exception to a player/pick in a deal to match salaries?

You can add it with a pick but not a player (well thats in straight up deals, trades consisting of 3 or more teams the rules get a little hazy)

Errntknght

Reaction score
Interesting that you say Mikki Moore is a poor rebounder and Malik Allen is good. Their stats do not bear this out - either for last year or for their careers Moore rebounds at about a 15% higher rate than Allen does. For comparison with a player we know, Steven Hunter comes in between them.

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
with guys like "over the hill and dale" davis, "The Big immobile"(like the big aristotle) Jake Tsakalidis, Calvin "i cant believe I saw him move" Booth, Tony "my knees hurt" Batie, and Steven "cant catch OR shoot" Hunter, I am rapidly becoming a fan of LAMPE!!

The suns will lose two of their best perimeter shooters in Eddie House and TT, so I think a big with a real outside shot like Lampe may fit better for the suns. Maybe Ivaroni can play obe one kenobe to the kid and help him improve on his weaknesses in the post. Ivaroni is a great coach for bigs and might be able to bring Lampe along nicely.

I'm still including Lampe signing with the Suns. We have 2 roster spots to fill at the minimum.

He'd be our 13th player. Our 12th player seems to need to be able to defend (preferably block shots) and rebound.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Interesting that you say Mikki Moore is a poor rebounder and Malik Allen is good. Their stats do not bear this out - either for last year or for their careers Moore rebounds at about a 15% higher rate than Allen does. For comparison with a player we know, Steven Hunter comes in between them.

I didn't write it. I just copied and pasted it from the RealGM board.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baston was strictly a shot blocker and dunker at Michigan but from what they said there he's added an outside shot since then. I always liked him in college IIRC he was there the same time as uber hyped Jerod Ward, and Baston turned out to be the better player. Sort of like how Loy Vaught probably had a better NBA career than Terry Mills, because Mills was so lazy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to Lampe, I just wish someone would make him watch Brad Miller video all day long. I think Lampe has at least Brad Miller's skills/ potential... he just needs to apply them.

Lampe has a sweet outside shot from the top of the key and I believe he is only 21 and has a decent build.

There has to be a spot in the NBA for this young man. I certainly think he will improve with age, but how much, I don't know.

All I'm saying, he is a 7 footer who is young, can shoot and run the floor and apparently has a good work ethic. If he does have a strong work ethic, if I'm the Suns, I keep him even if Pat Burke has to go.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
If the Suns get a bigman, it won't be any of those scrubs off that list.

The only one from that list that would even get off our bench is Griffin, and while i like him, i doubt the Suns would want him and his off the court problems on the team.

My guess is they will go after a RFA in a Sign & Trade or someone under contract that they can get for one of Kurt Thomas /James Jones/Trade Exception + draft picks.

I would prefer Ely,Gooden or Haywood.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
In regard to Lampe, I just wish someone would make him watch Brad Miller video all day long. I think Lampe has at least Brad Miller's skills/ potential... he just needs to apply them.

Lampe has a sweet outside shot from the top of the key and I believe he is only 21 and has a decent build.

There has to be a spot in the NBA for this young man. I certainly think he will improve with age, but how much, I don't know.

All I'm saying, he is a 7 footer who is young, can shoot and run the floor and apparently has a good work ethic. If he does have a strong work ethic, if I'm the Suns, I keep him even if Pat Burke has to go.

Doubtful cause he can't play with his back to the basket on offense, and Lampe is clueless when it comes to playing any kind of defense(Man or help) and he'll never be the rebounder or shotblocker Miller is.(No matter how much work he puts in)

I think his ceiling is a poor mans Keith Van Horn (When he was good)

Last edited:

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the Suns are going to bite on Lampe. They turned him loose once, and then the Hornets turn around and dump him right back? I'm sensing a Skita situation, although Lampe is still young, I guess. Sometimes one team gives up on a guy too early (Boston with Joe Johnson, Atlanta with Diaw). But when he gets given up on three or four times in a row...

I feel the same way about Casey Jacobsen. Doubt we'll see him back in a Suns uniform.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Muggum said:
I doubt the Suns are going to bite on Lampe. They turned him loose once, and then the Hornets turn around and dump him right back? I'm sensing a Skita situation, although Lampe is still young, I guess. Sometimes one team gives up on a guy too early (Boston with Joe Johnson, Atlanta with Diaw). But when he gets given up on three or four times in a row...

I feel the same way about Casey Jacobsen. Doubt we'll see him back in a Suns uniform.

We have enough roster spots available that we can dump Lampe at the end of our bench and allow him to keep working on his game.

And thats what i expect D'Antoni to do.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
They should keep Lampe as the 12th or 13th man. He is young and might be able to help the team down the road. He may not help much this year but is worth keeping for the league minimum. IF they want to add someone else Burke could just be cut. I see him as useless. It is realistice that they could get Hunter for the trade exception and 2nd rounder. He playerd hard and can play with this team. He may be the 10th man but he can block shots and rebounds. 'He may be a bit overpriced but he can give quality minutes. Compared to Jerome James he is a bargain

NastyOne

Reaction score
Forrestham said:
It is realistice that they could get Hunter for the trade exception and 2nd rounder. He playerd hard and can play with this team. He may be the 10th man but he can block shots and rebounds. 'He may be a bit overpriced but he can give quality minutes. Compared to Jerome James he is a bargain

Hunter sucks, we could probably get Brendan Haywood for the same package.

Both have rocks for hands, but Haywood is the more complete player on defense and hes way bigger.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05