Suns 2010 Preseason Thread

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess we should probably have a game thread for the preseason games.

Was listening to the first half of the first game. Suns got off to a good start, leading by double digits, but they let the Kings come back in the second half. Start of fourth quarter now. Richardson and Lopez seem to be playing well. Turkoglu after shooting the ball so well in the training camp started preseason 0-5 with 3 turnovers.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sacramento played their starters a lot of minutes for an early preseason game.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sacramento played their starters a lot of minutes for an early preseason game.

Not surprising since their starters are young guys they're developing. Lopez played more than anyone other than Carl Landry.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The Kings need to sell tickets, so winning pre-season games are necessary.

IMHO the last CBA involved a huge mistake by having only a week of camp before preseason games. It is hard to deal with roster changes, make changes in offensive and defensive systems, etc. when ALSO preparrng for games. Also, preseason games are spent reviewing prospects rather than perfecting execution. Drives me crazy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without being able to watch the Kings game, it seemed like the Suns played better with Chucky Akins playing PG even with Dragic on the court. Also I can't help but root for Matt Janning. I have a good feeling about him. IMO, he just needs minutes. I also have a bad feeling about Earl Clark being worth the draft choice.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Without being able to watch the Kings game, it seemed like the Suns played better with Chucky Akins playing PG even with Dragic on the court. Also I can't help but root for Matt Janning. I have a good feeling about him. IMO, he just needs minutes. I also have a bad feeling about Earl Clark being worth the draft choice.

Clark was a calculated risk. I don't think he has the mental toughness to fight for minutes and be a bench player. I think if he went to a young, developing team and was given starter type minutes he would do well. I think it's kinda similar to Matt Leinart's mental state & situation. Coddle not push.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clark was a calculated risk. I don't think he has the mental toughness to fight for minutes and be a bench player. I think if he went to a young, developing team and was given starter type minutes he would do well. I think it's kinda similar to Matt Leinart's mental state & situation. Coddle not push.

Guys you have to coddle, not push, usually fail in the end anyway. Lack of mental toughness is a fatal flaw.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So far we're certainly running. Out of our 11 points, 10 are fast break points.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First half thoughts from the Raptors game: Lawal very active, but also clearly shows lack of experience, as you'd expect. He committed some silly turnovers like offensive fouls and three-second violations (two I think). He had a nice dunk on a pass from Nash. On that play he did get out of the paint first to avoid another three-second call before getting back in there. He also missed what would have been a spectacular dunk (or so it seemed on the crappy video feed).

Siler played briefly early on and didn't do much, but did have a nice block on Barbosa. The lineup of Siler, Lawal, Childress, Dudley and Dragic was struggling and was mainly responsible for the deficit. Lots of turnovers. The Suns had 16 in the first half. The small frontcourt of Lawal, Turkoglu and Hill had trouble getting rebounds against Bargnani. But the Suns were very active on the offensive boards themselves, getting 8 (Turkoglu with 3 of them). Speaking of Turkoglu, he's shooting only 3 for 9 but had a nice drive to the basket for a layup.

Janning came in and hit his first shot, then missed last two. Lopez struggled catching passes and had a poor showing so far. Dragic was pressured a lot in the back court, but handled it fairly well, though the Suns struggled to score with that lineup.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailing by 24 and the Suns just look lost out there. gonna be an interesting season

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grant and Evans ejected now, oh man i hope this crappy play is because of back-to-back

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns better get serious about signing Dampier.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Down by 45. I know the score is not supposed to matter in preseason, but 45???. Siler fouls out in 10 minutes. Had Lopez not been ejected, he probably would have fouled out too. Suns with 26 turnovers so far with 9 minutes to go shooting 34% from the floor.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This team does not look as deap as I thought. I am going to say as of right now I would expect a trade come 1/4 into the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns lose to Toronto by only 51 points. Can anyone say "chemistry."

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Haha, that was so bad. Stein reported that we're talking to Dampier in Phoenix this week.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I had the unfortunate pleasure of attending this game and man what a doozy. Easily the worst NBA game I've seen and it wasn't just because the Suns got spanked. There was absolutely no flow to the game and there were roughly a bajillion fouls called on both teams. 3 ejections in a pre-season game? Really?

Blah.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
On a positive note, Hedo had 8 rebounds, more than Amare probably would have had. ;)

And how does a ref eject Grant Hill in a preseason game? Grant. Hill.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05