Suns 2010 Preseason Thread

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was unable to watch the game after we were trailing by 30. It was sad, we are talking about the Raptors here, it shows how badly constituted this team is.
There was no low post threat, Raptors were able to double our guys almost on every possession from inbound, without paying for it.
Have the Suns ever lost by 50pts before? Wow just wow.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned: The Suns played crappy last preseason too. We got killed on the boards and the turnovers piled up. Many of us (including me) were resigned to the fact that we were bound for the lottery and were lamenting the unprotected first rounder held by OKC... Then we started the season 14 and 3.

I'm not saying that we're bound for the WCF's, but I'm not going to make much out of preseason, especially the second game and a back-to-back at that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think this off season is different than last year. Last year they were dogging it and getting in shape. This season we just don't have anyone on offense the other team fears like Amar'e. They are going to double Nash every time down the floor. The Suns showed they can't make you pay when they are double teamed on offense. You don't think Nash wanted to put on a good show? I AM worried.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this off season is different than last year. Last year they were dogging it and getting in shape. This season we just don't have anyone on offense the other team fears like Amar'e. They are going to double Nash every time down the floor. The Suns showed they can't make you pay when they are double teamed on offense. You don't think Nash wanted to put on a good show? I AM worried.

I'm worried that age may be catching up with Steve Nash. I'm worried that Robin Lopez may not be as effective without a true big man playing alongside him. I'm worried that Jason's bounce back year was a mirage made possible by the threat of Amare. I'm worried that Hedo will find out where all the Valley hot spots are. I'm worried that the best we've seen from Goran is the best we can hope to see. I'm worried that our second team defense will now mirror our first team defense. I'm worried that "team rebounds" will lead the team in rebounds.

I'm worried about a lot of things with this team but the lopsided results from the second night of a back to back preseason game that saw a well rested Toronto team playing a Suns team that had to travel to Vancouver doesn't concern me in the slightest. I'm still worried, but that game changes nothing for me.

Steve

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
suns/mavs...frye actuall backs someone down and scores

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We simply don't know how to use Hedo effectively yet.

And yet, we were still able to beat the Dallas Mavericks. I think this game proves that we are a formidable team and surely destined for postseason greatness. I've gained a little weight this past year; I sure hope they make those Phoenix Suns NBA championship jerseys in my size. Can I buy them now or do I actually have to wait till we win it all next June?

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We simply don't know how to use Hedo effectively yet.

I don't know how much you can do when the guy's shooting 4-21 in the preseason, and that's not even an exaggeration. He couldn't make a shot during the world championships either. If Turkoglu can't shoot, there's no way to use him effectively.

I really like Turkoglu as a player, generally speaking, but I have a bad feeling that he's going to prove to be a horrible fit in Phoenix. Somehow or another, it has to start with him putting the ball in the basket.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know how much you can do when the guy's shooting 4-21 in the preseason, and that's not even an exaggeration. He couldn't make a shot during the world championships either. If Turkoglu can't shoot, there's no way to use him effectively.

I really like Turkoglu as a player, generally speaking, but I have a bad feeling that he's going to prove to be a horrible fit in Phoenix. Somehow or another, it has to start with him putting the ball in the basket.

Eric, he's being used as a jumpshooter and out of the flow of the game. That's not his strength. He's much better at creating, then shooting--and of course he's spectacular when the game is on the line, which obviously it never is during preseason.

Simply making him a jumpshooter will not work. 3 games and counting and all 3 have proven that point.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Eric, he's being used as a jumpshooter and out of the flow of the game.

I'll have to take your word for it, but I still consider his poor shooting a cause for concern. Over his career, 1/3 of his FGA are from three-point range. You're telling me that catch and shoot isn't part of his game?

Huh? He shot well in the World Championships.

He shot .405 in the World Championships: http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/en.../pid/21687/rid//sid/4728/tid/376/profile.html. Maybe that's good by international play, but it won't cut it in the NBA -- and it certainly won't cut it on the Suns, who can survive only with great offensive efficiency.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He shot .405 in the World Championships: http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/en.../pid/21687/rid//sid/4728/tid/376/profile.html. Maybe that's good by international play, but it won't cut it in the NBA -- and it certainly won't cut it on the Suns, who can survive only with great offensive efficiency.

I watched the majority of Turkey's games and Hedo was clearly going through the motions in the group stage. He played much better in the elimination rounds shooting 50+% overall, 55% from 3 and was much more active.

I think they'll be able to make the adjustments to get everyone involved offensively, I'm more worried about the defense and especially the rebounding.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What really struck me about the Mavericks game is the Suns have no PF. I know it's not new but it stuck out like a sore thumb. It seems like the Suns only viable option at PF is Frye although it takes away from his strength, shooting the 3 point shot from the high post center position. Maybe Lawal can help later in the season as well as Warrick. The Suns just have a lot of players that seem redundant.

However, if Hedo would accept playing for the second unit, he could replace Frye at the high post center position position because of his 3 point shooting and play making skills. Dragic could use the help as his play making decisions are not always the best. This is my best guess as where Hedo would fit best and produce.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the majority of Turkey's games and Hedo was clearly going through the motions in the group stage. He played much better in the elimination rounds shooting 50+% overall, 55% from 3 and was much more active.

Yep, I watched him in the elimination rounds and his stroke was smooth and accurate.

Vellasco

Reaction score
Eric, he's being used as a jumpshooter and out of the flow of the game. That's not his strength. He's much better at creating, then shooting--and of course he's spectacular when the game is on the line, which obviously it never is during preseason.

Simply making him a jumpshooter will not work. 3 games and counting and all 3 have proven that point.

Nice post, Chap.

Early Jameer Nelson (before his injury) era, Calderon era and now Nash era. All three were ball dominant play makers, slashers and Hedo has struggled (and will continue to struggle) in all that periods (In other words not used on his strengths). Actually only period he has been used as a facilitator was 2009 season and it was due to circumstances. It worked great there, he gained his reputation and they reached to the finals. (his current contract was given to him for his point forward performance, not his shooting performance)

I think the main issue is that Hedo is not as strong as other valuable Point Forwards who take ball control from above average pg'ies hands. (He is somehow similar to Kukoc class, definetly not Pippen/Lebron class). In last two years he experienced both the top and the bottom of the league respectively. During last off-season I think he passed from crucial gate for himself after he request his trade and decided to go chemically better team with relatively smaller role instead of the team which might give him more of a facilitator role.

From his point of view, He has to adapt the role given to him no matter what the conditions are. If he asked just hustle on defense and just shoot well on offense, he should better do this to complete final period of his NBA career on this team (note: Even if he does that he is expensive contract for that role). Last year he kinda refused to do that and turned out to fiasco for himself. From Suns point of view, if Gentry and Nash want to be finals again, they should create more depth on Suns game by using his strengths, at least sometimes.

Vellasco

Reaction score

I think they'll be able to make the adjustments to get everyone involved offensively, I'm more worried about the defense and especially the rebounding.

How was Hedo's defense at Mavs game SunzTzu?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How was Hedo's defense at Mavs game SunzTzu?

He had a couple decent plays but didn't really stand out(one way or another). Think he was going against Marion mostly who doesn't really have much offense. He seemed more aggressive on the boards than I expected but I still think him rebounding at the 4 is the biggest weakness.

Hayduke

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Hedo seem to have bad hops? Watching him try and rebound last night was making me cringe. We all know he's not a big dunker due to his difference in play, but in the few dunks I saw, it seemed like he was just barely getting it in there.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No one mentions we are FINALLY off the snide on TNT? Maybe we can pick up some of those TNT wins this season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05