Suns 2010 Preseason Thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's generally true, but part of Marion's problem was that his shooting mechanic started with the ball very low, around his sternum. That made it more difficult for him to create space. Someone with better technique doesn't need quite as much room to get a good shot off, especially with Marion's quick jumping ability. It would have been quite easy for him to develop a fadeaway, for example, if his technique were more sound. But if you try to imagine Marion shooting a fadeaway with his form, you will laugh.

Considering how many of his shots were at the rim, he should have been able to add several points. Stoudemire is over 54% for his career, and over 56% since returning from microfracture.

Marion would have been so much better served by a release point where he looked under the ball. Marion's release line of sight was over the ball. It negated his athletic ability on jump shots. He was well served by an assortment of running athletic flip shots in traffic though.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Other guys would spend their off season time working on their shot mechanics. Somehow, Shawn's mechanics got worse.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In case anyone cares and wants to plan ahead, the game might be televised by the Utah broadcast team--at least that's what I'm assuming. It's listed on my DVR to-do list tonight.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case anyone cares and wants to plan ahead, the game might be televised by the Utah broadcast team--at least that's what I'm assuming. It's listed on my DVR to-do list tonight.

Actually, I have it listed on 2 different league pass channels which usually means you can have your choice of broadcast teams.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the Toronto game on Sunday looks to be available to league pass.

Steve

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I have League Pass through cable and in the past they never showed any preseason games, but I checked now and they do list two games for tonight, including the Suns game. I haven't even ordered League Pass yet, but it looks like the channels are unscrambled for now.

The Suns/Utah game is also supposed to be in HD, and I just noticed that my cable provider finally added the League Pass HD channel.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually, I have it listed on 2 different league pass channels which usually means you can have your choice of broadcast teams.

Steve

Well it's definitely not on a Phoenix broadcast, so I'm not sure what the 2nd one is (maybe Turkish?).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I have League Pass through cable and in the past they never showed any preseason games, but I checked now and they do list two games for tonight, including the Suns game. I haven't even ordered League Pass yet, but it looks like the channels are unscrambled for now.

The Suns/Utah game is also supposed to be in HD, and I just noticed that my cable provider finally added the League Pass HD channel.

If I recall correctly, I think in the past League Pass is free until the 2nd week of th regular season anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's definitely not on a Phoenix broadcast, so I'm not sure what the 2nd one is (maybe Turkish?).

Cool. Maybe I'll watch that version. Can you master Turkish in 2 hours or will I have to put in a little extra work? I HATE extra work.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cool. Maybe I'll watch that version. Can you master Turkish in 2 hours or will I have to put in a little extra work? I HATE extra work.

Steve

You wouldn't like the broadcast anyway. I believe the Turks actually LIKE the Suns. ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't like the broadcast anyway. I believe the Turks actually LIKE the Suns. ;)

Okay, I know you're teasing but I am far from the hater you're taking me as. And I'm not dreading this season at all although I am dreading the way this board will react if I'm right about our start. If we do go 5 - 13 (or thereabouts) we're going to have to put up with all the teeth gnashing and organization bashing that goes along with that kind of start. Especially since, IMO, our expectations are unjustifiably high this year.

BTW, I'm going to record both versions tonight just in case one of them is in Turkish. I want to see how they spin the butt-kicking we're about to get.:D

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns vs Jazz is on league pass tonight for those interested. It's in it's free trial period even if you don't have league pass.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns vs Jazz is on league pass tonight for those interested. It's in it's free trial period even if you don't have league pass.

Do you have the channel for DirecTV?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found it on channel 751. Thanks so much SunsTzu. At least I get to watch much of the game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does anybody know what exactly is Earl Clark's contract situation? The guy simply does not belong in the NBA. You'd think a guy with all those tools would be able to show at least one of them in a preseason game, but the guy is a black hole. I pushed hard for us to draft him last year, and boy, was THAT a mistake. I'd rather keep Siler over Earl Clark. At least he works hard. Clark was easily our worst player on the floor. Even Siler and Dowdell played better--even though Z can't run our offense at all, at least he has a little bit of offense in him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what exactly is Earl Clark's contract situation? The guy simply does not belong in the NBA. You'd think a guy with all those tools would be able to show at least one of them in a preseason game, but the guy is a black hole. I pushed hard for us to draft him last year, and boy, was THAT a mistake. I'd rather keep Siler over Earl Clark. At least he works hard. Clark was easily our worst player on the floor. Even Siler and Dowdell played better--even though Z can't run our offense at all, at least he has a little bit of offense in him.

I agree about Earl Clark looking like a lost cause. Siler may have won his self a spot on the roster tonight against the Jazz especially as he still appears just to be getting in shape. Seeing a 305 pounder fly through the air to slam dunk was awesome. Siler also has an incredibly soft touch on his shot not to mention the space he occupies plus some rebounds. I have been a real fan of Janning but he is failing to impress thus far in the preseason.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have been a real fan of Janning but he is failing to impress thus far in the preseason.

He showed in SL he was a streak shooter who'd make a decent pass every so often. Dowdell has killed all the offensive movement whenever he's been in. Really wish the Suns had been able to keep Reynolds instead of watching these 2 fight over who's going back there way onto the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He showed in SL he was a streak shooter who'd make a decent pass every so often. Dowdell has killed all the offensive movement whenever he's been in. Really wish the Suns had been able to keep Reynolds instead of watching these 2 fight over who's going back there way onto the roster.

As I recall Kerr did not impress me with the Suns many, many years ago shooting and passing. Anyway I was glad the Suns traded him or waived him so I'm willing to cut Janning some slack for this error. I'm not attached to Z. The Suns should be watching the waiver wire for another PG and/or another big as some teams are quite deep. You're right about Reynolds as was most everybody on this board about keeping him.

As a side note I wanted the Suns to draft the project center Byron Mullens instead of Clark. I was probably the only one. I think our board did a poll. It would be interesting to pull up.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns reportedly have until November 1st to decide if they want to keep Earl Clark per link below. My advice, let him go.

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix...rk-dress-rehearsal-another-understudy-nipping

To clarify, the November 1st deadline is for the 3rd year team option. Regardless of what happens, he'll still be on the team for at least this year. And I'm thinking he's more of a waste of a roster space than an asset.

I'm convinced that this was Siler's final opportunity to try to stick on the team, that's why we didn't see Jones, who by all reports has been consistently ahead of Siler on the depth chart. But I was encouraged a little. The guy can't jump at all, but he certainly is huge.

Also, even though he's a SF, I thought Hedo looked good, especially in the beginning of the game. Paul Millsap is just a little wider, but otherwise, they were both comparable in sizes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify, the November 1st deadline is for the 3rd year team option. Regardless of what happens, he'll still be on the team for at least this year. And I'm thinking he's more of a waste of a roster space than an asset.

As I read the article (and if it's correct), the Suns have an option until November 1st to pick up Clark for a third year option for 2M. Of course he has already been with the Suns two years. I'd welcome a NBA contract guru's opinion on the subject.

I really wish Jones was better than Siler. If so, I'd keep both.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I read the article (and if it's correct), the Suns have an option until November 1st to pick up Clark for a third year option for 2M. Of course he has already been with the Suns two years. I'd welcome a NBA contract guru's opinion on the subject.

Clark has only been with the team 1 year, this will be his second.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

He reminds me of those guys the Suns had doing basketball tricks at half time years ago. They would do amazing tricks with the basketball. One guy in an interview said he couldn't play a lick. I mean, Earl Clark has the body, supposedly skills, too. Just somehow he doesn't seem to know how to play basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He reminds me of those guys the Suns had doing basketball tricks at half time years ago. They would do amazing tricks with the basketball. One guy in an interview said he couldn't play a lick. I mean, Earl Clark has the body, supposedly skills, too. Just somehow he doesn't seem to know how to play basketball.

The thing that bothers me the most about Earl Clark is that we haven't learned a single thing about him that wasn't already known before the draft.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I really wish Jones was better than Siler. If so, I'd keep both.

Earl Clark has only been with the team one season--Dragic and Lopez have been with the team for 2.

And Jones IS better than Siler--I'm convinced that the reason Siler got so much time tonight is that they were trying to give him a chance to impress the coaching staff. If they're not convinced about Jones, I'd assume they'll play him like they played Siler in the next game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05