Suns 2010 Preseason Thread

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns are looking pretty good in the first half; they're running hard getting lots of easy fastbreak points. Childress owns the baseline, and Dragic is slicing up their defense.

I found a link here: http://www.nenggeulis.com/

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Lopez and Frye in foul trouble, Siler gets the nod off the bench over Jones. Interesting. This is my first time seeing him in action. He certainly takes up space, but it's painful to watch him run. It's almost as bad as Antoine Walker running.

If only Warrick had a jump shot... He's getting to the foul line though.

Barbosa looks good.

Last edited:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are trying to redeem their image after the 51pts drubbing but our offense is still not clicking especially when Frye continues to suck. Nash is leading scorer and we know that is mostly not a good thing.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gentry clearly doesn't care about finishing/winning a preseason game.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentry clearly doesn't care about finishing/winning a preseason game.
imo, i dont even think they can beat Toronto even if our starters play more minutes. they cearly played a lot tonight but Toronto is a better running team this pre-season and our second unit are making no impact.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Kleiza played 35 minutes. He is certainly not a bubble player. Actually he would fit on the Suns quite nicely.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only lost by 21 this time. Baby steps.

Warrick and Childress should be starting. Outside of Nash and Richardson, they've been the two best players this preseason. I love Grant Hill, but Childress is the better player right now, and he is our future.

Nash, Dragic
J Rich, Dudley
Childress, Hill
Warrick, Hedo
Lopez, Frye

From the limited results so far, it's looking like Frye's contract will be the one handed out this summer that we regret the most. And, I'm really starting to feel like Bryan Colangelo duped us. Without Stoudemire, we had no need for Hedo, and we really should have gotten a first round pick back in exchange. BC was desperate to dump him, and it appears we were the only suitors.

Gentry has his work cut out for him trying to juggle this roster. I hope he's not afraid of making the right move like starting Warrick and Childress.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder why Kleiza played 35 minutes. He is certainly not a bubble player. Actually he would fit on the Suns quite nicely.

You mean if we didn't already have 8 guys that play his position, right?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean if we didn't already have 8 guys that play his position, right?

I'm just saying I like Kleiza as a player. If the Suns didn't already have "8 guys that play his position," he would be a nice fit.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nash is leading scorer and we know that is mostly not a good thing.

Folster said:
Nash is also our leading rebounder with 7...
And, of course, Steve led the team in assists as well.

That would be too one-dimensional for a 26 year old Point Guard, let alone one who is 36.

Alvin and Steve have said that the 1st team in jelling, but the 2nd five is nowhere near ready. Steve's 26 minutes were five more than any other starter, but his having to lead in the key categories does not reflect well on the 1st team either.

Dragic played only 9 minutes. I wonder if that is indicative of nine days (and two pre-season) games from now. Our 1st and 2nd team rotation at this time should be decided and building chemistry.

You are right, AfroSuns -- it is not a good thing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is leading the team in points, rebounds and assists "one-dimensional"? That makes no sense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think he means one-dimensional as a team not as a player.
Yes, I should have made that clearer. At 6'9" and able to play all five positions on the floor, Magic helped his team. Before him, the Big O, Oscar Robertson, once averaged a triple-double for a season.

But for mortal men, and as good as Steve is, he is still mortal, if a Point Guard is doing it all -- scoring and rebounding, as well as assists -- as the old cliche goes, the rest of the team starts standing around.

And Steve knows that as well as anyone. I am sure he is frustrated by the inbalance of the current roster, as are most of us.

Here's hoping he is motivating the front office and coaching staff to work it out before too long.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This preseason has been very confusing. While the Suns poor record may not be very meaningful, especially with most games being away from Phoenix, some things seem to me unusual. We still have 16 players on our roster. In the past, the Suns by now would be down to 12 or 13 with the rotations more or less set. But this preseason so far only one player, Atkins, has been cut, while the players who are unlikely to make the final roster are still getting playing time. It seems the front office and/or coaching staff is still uncertain as to who to keep.

As for the record itself, I don't like the excuse that we have too many new players to integrate. Back in 2004 the Suns went 7-1 in the preseason after adding two starters, including Nash, in the summer. Next year, after losing JJ and revamping most of the roster again, the Suns went 6-2. The 1-5 record is as bad as I can ever remember the Suns start preseason, and the margin of losses in particular should be a bit alarming. It's true that the starters have played relatively well and that the bench is mainly responsible for the losses. But our bench was key last season and they've only lost Amundson (Barbosa didn't play much last year) so there is no excuse for them struggling this much. On paper, the bench has only gotten better.

I really think that Gentry needs to play the last two preseason games as if they counted and use the rotations he is planning on using during the regular season. There are only three days off between the last preseason game and the season opener, and the transition will be difficult if the Suns are still using the last two games to evaluate players and determine rotations. Also, it is time to cut Dowdell and either Jones or Siler. The next two games are at home, so it's a perfect time to get in regular season mode with the tough schedule coming up to start the season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This preseason has been very confusing. While the Suns poor record may not be very meaningful, especially with most games being away from Phoenix, some things seem to me unusual. We still have 16 players on our roster. In the past, the Suns by now would be down to 12 or 13 with the rotations more or less set. But this preseason so far only one player, Atkins, has been cut, while the players who are unlikely to make the final roster are still getting playing time. It seems the front office and/or coaching staff is still uncertain as to who to keep.

As for the record itself, I don't like the excuse that we have too many new players to integrate. Back in 2004 the Suns went 7-1 in the preseason after adding two starters, including Nash, in the summer. Next year, after losing JJ and revamping most of the roster again, the Suns went 6-2. The 1-5 record is as bad as I can ever remember the Suns start preseason, and the margin of losses in particular should be a bit alarming. It's true that the starters have played relatively well and that the bench is mainly responsible for the losses. But our bench was key last season and they've only lost Amundson (Barbosa didn't play much last year) so there is no excuse for them struggling this much. On paper, the bench has only gotten better.

Honestly, Gentry's rotations have been NOTHING like it will be in the regular season--starters getting 20 minutes and Matt Janning getting 30? That will simply not happen. That's a BIG reason why the preseason games are throwaway games and performances. It's been nothing but auditions so far, and you are right about one thing--it's strange that we've gone this deep into preseason and still am playing the end of our roster so much.

I really think that Gentry needs to play the last two preseason games as if they counted and use the rotations he is planning on using during the regular season. There are only three days off between the last preseason game and the season opener, and the transition will be difficult if the Suns are still using the last two games to evaluate players and determine rotations. Also, it is time to cut Dowdell and either Jones or Siler. The next two games are at home, so it's a perfect time to get in regular season mode with the tough schedule coming up to start the season.

This is pretty much what needs to be done. Strangely enough, Jones has had DNP's for the last two games. I figured the last Jazz game was a Siler audition, but I was pretty surprised he didn't play at all against the Raptors today. Thing is, if those DNPs were because they weren't keeping him, why haven't they released him already? I still think it's been an extended audition for Siler and that they've already decided to keep Jones--odd that he hasn't played though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think it's been an extended audition for Siler and that they've already decided to keep Jones--odd that he hasn't played though.

You're probably right but I'd rather keep Siler. Inside that overly soft frame is a ballplayer. I don't know if we could ever get him in shape to play the Suns style of ball but I think it's worth a shot. I've got nothing against Jones but it makes you wonder why he can't ever seem to get playing time (here and elsewhere).

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right but I'd rather keep Siler. Inside that overly soft frame is a ballplayer. I don't know if we could ever get him in shape to play the Suns style of ball but I think it's worth a shot. I've got nothing against Jones but it makes you wonder why he can't ever seem to get playing time (here and elsewhere).

Steve

It's strange than Jones has not been getting minutes. IMO, he's not a proven. I think Siler has been better than expected. I like his skills and he will get better if he gets in shape. Who knows what the Suns are thinking... maybe cutting some players and watching the waiver wire. Siler is definitely worth a strong look because he produces when given minutes.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Robin Lopez: He got caught off-guard three times when catching a pass on a roll and finding a helping Raptors defender in front of him. On the first one, he quickly pulled up for a 13-foot brick. On the other two, he traveled. He had some foul issues with four in 12 minutes (the official box score shows three but the play by play shows all four). But the calls were shaky or forgivable in these cases. He did not deserve a charge call but compounded it by going to the other end and defending Reggie Evans 18 feet from the basket, setting him up to drive and draw a foul. Evans flopped another time when Lopez just ran downcourt on defense with his arm out. Lopez did not have a rebound, still prone to trying to tap the ball one-handed.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/102013

On his twitter, Dudley said they needed Robin to become a borderline all star for them to compete this year. That would go a long way but 2 of the 3 new cats also need to produce.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading a blog from Paul Coro dated 10-19-10, it appears that Siler and Janning may make the cut and Dowdell and Jones may be on their way out. Nothing definitive here, but Coro has a good handle on the Suns. I have no problems if it turns out this way.

The guess here is that the Suns will keep Janning and Siler, largely because these are the two players the front office seems to want. The Suns went out of their way this summer to fend off other teams' interests in Janning and signed him to a two-year contract that had little guarantee but still was symbolic of their belief in his potential. Jones and Siler were added after Lance Blanks became GM but Jones was more of a returnee from last season.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/Blog/PaulCoro/102164

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the boxscore, looks like Rolo came to play tonight 10pts,9 rebounds in the 1st half.
Turkoglu on the other hand still playing like crap

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad the Suns do not have a PF. Why pretend. The Suns really need Lopez to stay healthy because he is the Suns inside game.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns up 46-38 after the 2nd quarter.

Neither team can buy a bucket as the Suns are shooting 38% with 2/11 3 pointers, Warriors 29% with 2/17 3 pointers.

Suns with 10 offensive rebounds, Warriors 9.

Nash in mid season form with 3 turnovers already. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05