Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like what I saw of Bol Bol last season. I'm happy the Suns brought him back. However, due to his build, his ability to play physical inside is limited. I'm anxious to see how Bud uses him.
He will be a stretch 4 or 5 depending on matchups. He matches up pretty well against tall, thin centers like Wemby. Embiid is another matter.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are incredibly weak at staring power forward with this lineup. O'Neale is only 6'4" and Bol Bol is a bench player at best.
Bol is a bench player at best? I will take him over O'Neale any day.

KD is going to still be our starting PF.

The starters are still going to be Beal, Book, Allen, KD and Nurk. Those are our 5 best players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The starters are still going to be Beal, Book, Allen, KD and Nurk. Those are our 5 best players.
I agree. Bol still has huge potential, and he is still only 24. His body is still maturing. He still has huge upside.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
This is way too early to say. But watching Dunn on defense. I can't recall any Sun ever that had the defensive abilities of Dunn. If he develops a shot, he will become famous in the NBA. If he's unplayable due to his shot, it would be tragic. But I think coach will have a hard time keeping him off the floor. I consider this season pretty much a lost cause unless we really hit some home runs on these rookies. At any rate, it gives us something interesting to watch this season.
Dunn's physique and defense reminds me of two Bulls of their golden age, Pippen and Rodman. His current offensive skill is probably also inbetween these two. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I was looking beyond Durant, pondering the bench. I misspoke when I used the word "starting."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Suns 15 man roster as they head into summer league tonight in Las Vegas.

1. Kevin Durant
2. Bradley Beal
3. Devin Booker
4. Jusuf Nurkic
5. Grayson Allen
6. Royce O'Neale
7. Nassir Little
8. Bol Bol
9. David Roddy
10. Josh Okogie
11. Damion Lee
12. Ryan Dunn
13. Oso Ighodaro
14. Mason Plumlee
15. Monte Morris

Two Way Contracts:

1. Jalen Bridges
2. Collin Gillespie

Exhibit 10 Deals:

Tyrese Samuel
Boo Buie

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
This is the Suns 15 man roster as they head into summer league tonight in Las Vegas.

1. Kevin Durant
2. Bradley Beal
3. Devin Booker
4. Jusuf Nurkic
5. Grayson Allen
6. Royce O'Neale
7. Nassir Little
8. Bol Bol
9. David Roddy
10. Josh Okogie
11. Damion Lee
12. Ryan Dunn
13. Oso Ighodaro
14. Mason Plumlee
15. Monte Morris

Two Way Contracts:

1. Jalen Bridges
2. Collin Gillespie

Exhibit 10 Deals:

Tyrese Samuel
Boo Buie
After watching the first Summer game, my (way too soon) comment would be to let Roddy walk. He is unplayable. He cannot hit shots, pass, defend. Just unplayable. He plays with a lot of poorly channeled energy. Give that slot to anyone else.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
After watching the first Summer game, my (way too soon) comment would be to let Roddy walk. He is unplayable. He cannot hit shots, pass, defend. Just unplayable. He plays with a lot of poorly channeled energy. Give that slot to anyone else.
I walked away with the same conclusion. He does not have a singular above average NBA skill, and the Suns don't have the time to help him develop one.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Ish Wainwright?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why bring him back? Most meniscus repairs return in 2-3 months. He's missed a whole season and what, 10 months after surgery is still only 85%?
To fill out the bench? I mean at this point anybody they sign is a crapshoot. At least they know this crapshoot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this, which states recovery is as early as 4 weeks and is longer with surgery. Generally surgery sidelines folks for 6-8 weeks, sometimes up to 12.

Here is further info detailing how long Embiid, Kawhi, CP3, Jimmy Butler, and Zion all missed.

Embiid had his 3rd surgery on meniscus last season and missed 3 months, returning before the postseason. So again, I question the Suns resigning someone who has missed almost 4 tomes as long who isn't a regular rotation player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To fill out the bench? I mean at this point anybody they sign is a crapshoot. At least they know this crapshoot.

First day of free agency while now we're talking about waiving someone like Roddy when Lee hasn't even recovered from surgery is foolish. That's a dumb move by a bad GM. It isn't James Jones money but it shows the lack of foresight he has. 15th men can always be found.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First day of free agency while now we're talking about waiving someone like Roddy when Lee hasn't even recovered from surgery is foolish. That's a dumb move by a bad GM. It isn't James Jones money but it shows the lack of foresight he has. 15th men can always be found.
Maybe they know something about Roddy we don't?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe they know something about Roddy we don't?

So you're shifting this to Roddy, who isn't really that relevant. Like I said, why was Damien Lee resigned and wasting a roster spot when he still hasn't recovered from a very basic surgery? That same surgery has been performed on more injury prone players who return in less than a 1/4 of the time it takes Lee to get "85% back". Now, we need to cut someone to make room if someone else becomes available because JJ felt it was important to prioritize resigning a still not healthy Lee? See the cause for concern? I don't care if Lee is the 15th man. We could sign someone who would be more useful than him, like someone healthy and capable of normal recovery times.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're shifting this to Roddy, who isn't really that relevant. Like I said, why was Damien Lee resigned and wasting a roster spot when he still hasn't recovered from a very basic surgery? That same surgery has been performed on more injury prone players who return in less than a 1/4 of the time it takes Lee to get "85% back". Now, we need to cut someone to make room if someone else becomes available because JJ felt it was important to prioritize resigning a still not healthy Lee? See the cause for concern? I don't care if Lee is the 15th man. We could sign someone who would be more useful than him, like someone healthy and capable of normal recovery times.
Huh? I am saying the Suns coaches and staff are with him every single day. Maybe they know something you or I don't. It's really that simple. You are assuming the Suns coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing. You can do that, but I am not willing to. This is a new staff. I trust they know what they are doing with what they have or don't have in Roddy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? I am saying the Suns coaches and staff are with him every single day. Maybe they know something you or I don't. It's really that simple. You are assuming the Suns coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing. You can do that, but I am not willing to. This is a new staff. I trust they know what they are doing with what they have or don't have in Roddy.

Again, you shifted this to Roddy. Why? He's irrelevant. Just a name us fans have theorized might be bought out if someone else is available. Nothing official has been said. Roddy was named to the SL roster so that seems there's some plan for him.

Back to Lee, why was he resigned? There are better options available. Why waste a roster spot on him when he's not healthy. He was prioritized as one of the first signings this summer. The GM is still the same. New coach, same shot caller. We've had 3 guys coach Lee, he's not a rotation player. Why even bother bringing him back?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, you shifted this to Roddy. Why? He's irrelevant. Just a name us fans have theorized might be bought out if someone else is available. Nothing official has been said. Roddy was named to the SL roster so that seems there's some plan for him.

Back to Lee, why was he resigned? There are better options available. Why waste a roster spot on him when he's not healthy. He was prioritized as one of the first signings this summer. The GM is still the same. New coach, same shot caller. We've had 3 guys coach Lee, he's not a rotation player. Why even bother bringing him back?
You brought up Roddy not me.

"First day of free agency while now we're talking about waiving someone like Roddy"

I am simply responding that I trust this coaching staff to do the right thing with a roster. I have seen things before that initially didn't make sense. It wouldn't be the first time. I am not going to get bent about a guy that might not see the floor.