Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watching the game tonight. He's burned the Lakers on both the lob and the passes when he was left open. Just saying.
I’m glad to hear it. I hope it continues to play out that way. The suns are professionals that scouted these players. I trust them more than what I’ve merely read. I mean, I haven’t had an opportunity to watch these guys play yet. So I’m cautiously optimistic. But then again, 31 other teams scouted them too and didn’t think they were worth more draft capital, so I take that into account too.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of his but I will say he has earned my respect finally:)
Definitely no denying that Lebron James is still very good at playing basketball. The fact that no other team has someone his age playing at that high of a level, and the fact that he has "Lakers" on his jersey, makes him unlikable.

Great player and for the most part a really good ambassador for the NBA, however much we hate it. :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not going to be outside. His passing and setting screens are what he will be doing. He'll be rolling off the screens. He's a lob threat, plus he can dribble to set up the pass. He won't be stuck jacking up outside shots.

He shouldn't be operating from the 3 pt line, his main area of effectiveness is anywhere at the elbow, ft line and max at the top of the key. Was pretty impressed with his passes, he was drafted so low but he's the type of guy that will play better with better players. Seeing his true effective is college was hindered by playing with lesser talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of his but I will say he has earned my respect finally:)

Lebron has gained my respect as well, especially as he has aged. There is no denying he one hungry player that doesn't sit on his laurels. He plays so hard and physical when he is on the court. His three point shot looks like money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to Mike Vigil who was discussing "overreactions" to the Suns first preseason game against the Lakers.

The idea of immediately signing Collin Gillespie to a four contract wasn't half bad with the open roster spot.

With Tyus Jones and Monte Morris on one year contracts, it would be good to wrap him up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was listening to Mike Vigil who was discussing "overreactions" to the Suns first preseason game against the Lakers.

The idea of immediately signing Collin Gillespie to a four contract wasn't half bad with the open roster spot.

With Tyus Jones and Monte Morris on one year contracts, it would be good to wrap him up.

And then the Frank Kaminsky dream would be over.

And I thought you were more in favor of a bigger body in that 15th spot?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always for the BPA and Collin Gillespie looks the part. I'd like to wrap him up on a long term contract. This move would not only be for now but the future. It's not the first time I have watched him play.

Quality point guards are hard to find and both Tyus Jones and Monte Morris are on one year contracts. I'm sure Dallas realizes the importance of the position with the loss of Exum.

It would still be possible for the Suns to make a trade or waive a player and sign Frank or someone else.

If a team waits for a player to prove himself, good deals usually fly out the window.

I suspect the Suns will let this play out for a while with other players vying for the final roster spot.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Our first quarter shows our starters have more to work on. The change of pace and game plan looks way better on offense. Defense really needs to be worked on. We have more work to do.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No one can sign him away since he's on a Two-Way. I'd imagine the Suns have told him to keep it up and things will take care of themselves. They can pay him long term next summer when there is an opening. Only way I can see him signing full time with us early is an injury where we need another PG for the postseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one can sign him away since he's on a Two-Way. I'd imagine the Suns have told him to keep it up and things will take care of themselves. They can pay him long term next summer when there is an opening. Only way I can see him signing full time with us early is an injury where we need another PG for the postseason.

The question I have though, wouldn't he become a free agent next summer and he could decide to move on to another team?

I'm not sure two-way contracts carry forward with RFA rights. It's a gray area for me.

Anyway, I believe in wrapping up players with low salaries long term, like the Suns did with Oso. Of course, Dunn was a first round pick, so they have his rights.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The question I have though, wouldn't he become a free agent next summer and he could decide to move on to another team?

I'm not sure two-way contracts carry forward with RFA rights. It's a gray area for me.

Anyway, I believe in wrapping up players with low salaries long term, like the Suns did with Oso. Of course, Dunn was a first round pick, so they have his rights.

There is a qualifying rights sort of deal. It's basically restricted free agency. There are cap holds and such for those QO's. I'm 99% certain of this but finding anything other than folks saying what I am here is proving difficult. Apparently the Grizzlies have encountered this over the last few seasons and had no issues retaining who they wanted.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a qualifying rights sort of deal. It's basically restricted free agency. There are cap holds and such for those QO's. I'm 99% certain of this but finding anything other than folks saying what I am here is proving difficult. Apparently the Grizzlies have encountered this over the last few seasons and had no issues retaining who they wanted.

Yeah, the Suns should have first rights, but I'm not sure if the Suns could match what another team offers him if he is not a RFA next summer.

Again, this is all a gray area to me, but Gillespie appears hungry for a spot. I don't believe the Suns had signed Tyus Jones when he signed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to think of who Gillespie reminds me of a bit, Mark Price.

I'm not saying Collin has Mark Price talent, but this is a player who comes to mind for comparison. I believe they are both about the same height.

I saw Price scrimmage with the Suns in Flagstaff one year.