Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns really are financially in a bind. Absolutely no way out. I was thinking that Dunn's immediate emergence, the fact that he hit the ground running, creates pressure to hurry up and trade Beal for being not vitally important. But they can't, because of his no-trade clause. I certainly wouldn't trade one of the other two stars.
It should be noted it’s unlikely another team would take on his salary.

The no-trade only says he has to be okay with his new destination.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Duane Rankin

@DuaneRankin

Suns coach Mike Budenholzer said Jusuf Nurkic (finger), Grayson Allen (Achilles) haven't done basketball work and Josh Okogie (hamstring) didn't participate in practice today.
Specifically said Nurkic hasn't had any contact. Working on conditioning.Had scrimmage today

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It should be noted it’s unlikely another team would take on his salary.

The no-trade only says he has to be okay with his new destination.

No trade clauses are bad. I can see it at the end of someone's career like if LeBron wanted one in LA now or Nash had wanted one in his last years here. Before a player is essentially 2-3 years from retiring though it's foolish to give them that leverage. I wouldn't even give Booker one if he asked now. 35+ Years of age would keep issues of it being a negative asset down.

To be fair, I see nothing wrong with handshake deals. If Ishbia and Book had one, I'd respect it and if either side broke the terms then I'd take the side of the one who didn't. To write it into a legally binding contract is too much, IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns really are financially in a bind. Absolutely no way out. I was thinking that Dunn's immediate emergence, the fact that he hit the ground running, creates pressure to hurry up and trade Beal for being not vitally important. But they can't, because of his no-trade clause. I certainly wouldn't trade one of the other two stars.
Not sure why a rookie forward emerging quickly means we need to trade Beal. If anything his emergence along with signing such good PGs for so cheap buys us time from having to make a move. While Beal's contract is a bit of an anchor he does at least give us a legitimate 3rd scoring threat and if he can be moved to the bench without drama he could be a damn good 6th man. If Beal continues to have injury issues than Dunn's emergence (along with picking up guys like Tyus and Monte) means that we can shoulder that loss more seamlessly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just something I noticed early is that Beal has been stuck in a corner since he’s no longer the point guard.

I think Beal shooting more threes is my choice and running Bud's system.

He likes to get in the lane and create. Some of those point guard habits tend to die hard.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just something I noticed early is that Beal has been stuck in a corner since he’s no longer the point guard.
Yeah, that's not really surprising. Tyus brings the ball up and booker and KD will be the wings - he pretty much has to start in the corner with those guys in the lineup.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Beal shooting more threes is my choice and running Bud's system.

He likes to get in the lane and create. Some of those point guard habits tend to die hard.
This is the fundamental problem with the team - he does not fit.

He would somewhat fit if he is used as the 6th man - but even if that was done - the cap space would be better utilized on other positions when we already have Grayson and Book as SG's that demand playing time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the fundamental problem with the team - he does not fit.

He would somewhat fit if he is used as the 6th man - but even if that was done - the cap space would be better utilized on other positions when we already have Grayson and Book as SG's that demand playing time.
If Beal’s healthy, he demands playing time over Grayson. That dude is never shooting the rock like that again. He’s a good shooter… 40% from three, but last year was an all time season. It wasn’t the norm nor should we expect it to be.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Beal’s healthy, he demands playing time over Grayson. That dude is never shooting the rock like that again. He’s a good shooter… 40% from three, but last year was an all time season. It wasn’t the norm nor should we expect it to be.
If Beal's role is to sit in the corner and wait to shoot a 3 most of the time - who is better at that - Grayson or Beal.

With Book and KD both on the floor we are never going to get the full value out of Beal - especially because he makes us undersized and worse at defense and rebounding than someone like Dunn or another forward.

I guess what I am saying is that both Dunn or Grayson would be a better starter than Beal, but unfortunately due to his contract and ego we aren't going to do that.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If Beal's role is to sit in the corner and wait to shoot a 3 most of the time - who is better at that - Grayson or Beal.

With Book and KD both on the floor we are never going to get the full value out of Beal - especially because he makes us undersized and worse at defense and rebounding than someone like Dunn or another forward.

I guess what I am saying is that both Dunn or Grayson would be a better starter than Beal, but unfortunately due to his contract and ego we aren't going to do that.
I see your point, but who is more likely to attack the inevitable close outs? Beal may not be quite as good of a spot up shooter as Allen, but he is much better when asked to attack close outs.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Grayson may not shoot 47% again but I bet you he still will shoot 42-45% this year.