Suns at 76ers 2/9

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
The Philadelphia 76ers might be a better team without Elton Brand.
For the time being, the Phoenix Suns won't have to worry about getting by without one of their top players.On Monday night, the 76ers look for a third straight win since losing the former All-Star to a season-ending injury, while trying to prevent the visiting Suns from winning their third in a row.

Philadelphia (25-24) won 94-84 over Miami on Saturday to improve to 3-2 on a season-long seven-game homestand.The win came two days after the 76ers avoided a third straight loss with a 99-94 victory over Indiana and had learned Brand would miss the rest of the season to undergo shoulder surgery.The 76ers, seventh in the Eastern Conference, improved to 12-8 without Brand, who averaged 13.8 points and 8.8 rebounds in 29 games during the first of a five-year, $80 million contract with the club.

"I think we're a playoff team even without Elton," Philadelphia general manager Ed Stefanski said of a franchise that has been to the postseason once in the last three seasons.That could change as the 76ers still have a number of options, including point guard Andre Miller, exciting forward Andre Iguodala and center Samuel Dalembert to excel in their up-tempo offense.Miller, who averaged 20.5 points and 11.0 assists against the Suns last season, had 15 points Saturday for Philadelphia. The Sixers received 41 points from their bench and outscored Miami 31-15 in the fourth quarter for their 12th win in 16 contests.

"Everyone contributed. That's the way our team is," said interim coach Tony DiLeo, who is 16-10 since replacing the fired Maurice Cheeks.The 76ers look to move a season-high two games over .500 in their initial meeting with Phoenix in 2008-09.The teams split the season series in 2007-08, with each winning on the other's home floor. The Suns won 107-93 on March 28 for their third win in four trips to Philadelphia.

Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire averaged 22.9 points and 9.8 rebounds in eight career games versus Philadelphia.The seventh-year forward is scheduled to represent the Suns in next Sunday's All-Star Game on his home court, but continues to play through recent trade rumors."It's all about what they want to do financially," said Stoudemire, who is averaging a team-leading 20.9 points, but signed a five-year, $74 million contract extension in 2005. "I have no control over that."We'll see how it plays out."Barring a deal, Stoudemire -- considered to be a defensive liability at times -- will try to help the Suns match a season high with a third straight win. He scored 18 points in a 107-97 win at Detroit on Sunday to open a three-game road trip that concludes in Cleveland on Wednesday.

Steve Nash added 15 points and a season-high 21 assists, while Jason Richardson had 21 points and Shaquille O'Neal 20 for the Suns, who currently own the final playoff spot in the West.O'Neal has averaged 25.0 points and 11.6 rebounds in his career against Philadelphia.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=290209020

PhoenixMaverick

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know why but I kinda want suns to lose.
Why? Because this would be a terrible scenario:

Suns play pretty well before the trade deadline.
Kerr decides not to trade anyone or make any moves.
Suns go back to playing like a horses arse.
Suns in the playoffs at the 7th/8th spot.
Spurs gets in at the 1st/2nd spot.
Suns lose to spurs in the 1st round.

Well... now that i think about it, even with big moves, the scenario can still happen. lol
either win or lose today, I will be happy :)

Last edited:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bunch of old dude, playing back to back against a young team; I don't expect a win but it will be nice if they can pull it off.

Reaction score
Shaq once again with his great transition defense. Good effort running afte rthe ball though.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Amare has no intensity on the defensive end. he isn't blocking out anyone or going for rebounds

Reaction score
We need to get out of the zone and put Barnes on Young. This is getting ridiculous. Our zone NEVER works.

cly2tw

Reaction score
LB should have passed to the open Amare with two defenders around in the possession before last. Yet he decided to shoot over two instead. On the next possession, he didn't need to pass but did it to Amare not in good position for a TO. He still gotta learn.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns down 25-30 after the 1st quarter. Suns shooting 52% with 0/1 3 pointers, 76ers 48% with 2/4 3 pointers.

Suns committed 6 turnovers in the 1st turnover (Nash has 2), 76ers 0.

Suns had 5 offensive rebounds in the 1st quarter, 76ers 3.

Suns hit 1/2 free throws in the 1st quarter, 76ers hit 4/6 free throws in the 1st quarter.

Suns had 20 points in the paint in the 1st quarter.

Last edited: