Suns at Lakers 3-22-11

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeps. If it's not about the team losing, it's about Gortat not starting. Come now BC, I get you're upset about the loss, but come on, you're an intelligent guy, you know that we don't have a chance even if we get to the playoffs--can't you just watch an entertaining game and be entertained?

Sure, I was upset we lost for about 5 minutes, but then I remember that we are in 10th place in the west and need to lose only 3 more games the rest of the season when we play 8 more winning teams. The team will play hard the rest of the season--if they win, great. If they don't, well then they are EXACTLY what you and everyone else thinks they are--a mediocre team who would have no chance in the playoffs if they made it. At least we'll get a better draft pick if we miss them.
Hey Chap, I know it's been a long day. But first you refer to us as "you guys", which tells us something about your point of view.

Then you make it worse by condoning the loss, citing tanking.

I just don't buy that as a long-time Suns fan.

Quoting a line from Take Me Out To The Ballgame:

Root root root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.

It's not:

If they don't win, oh well, I was entertained. :thumbup:

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:D
Based on what? Your obsession is not evidence
Because Gentry won't start Gortat, I bet you he isn't here by the end of next year. Why don't you get my obsession right instead of making one up for me.

I have clearly stated my thing is Lopez and Gentry starting him, you should get it/something right.:p

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hey Chap, I know it's been a long day. But first you refer to us as "you guys", which tells us something about your point of view.

It's not:

Right now, what else is there? Are you futilely clinging to some misguided hope that we make the playoffs? And then what? Are you really looking forward to us getting bullied by the Spurs or Lakers and the referees who love them?

I never condoned the loss--I merely said it's not a big deal. The people on this thread are crying like Gentry shot their dog or something. It's quite ridiculous.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score

It's not:

I really really hate to pick on anybody/ single anyone out.. That's not my style and I'm a very nice person but I find chap to be the most annoying person on any forum I've been on.. I see him as negative Mr. Know It All.

If you don't agree with him then you are WRONG, and he does not seem to understand the word "opinion".

Just saying..

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Because Gentry won't start Gortat, I bet you he isn't here by the end of next year.

Gladly.

The front office knows that they screwed up the roster and Gentry is doing the best he can with this mess. Stein did an entire piece on who was on the hot seat even marginally so it was one third of the league. Want to guess who wasn't on there? Alvin friggin Gentry

There are only 3 people here really calling for Gentry's head - you, BC, sunsfan88. What do you all have in common? Complete and utter Gortat homers

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody dumb enough to start Lopez deserves every loss he gets.

I agree. The only reason I see as to why gortat comes off the bench is to have that extra bench support.. Which still doesn't even matter because he starts the 3rd quarter and still comes on 4-5 minutes into the game with the other starters.

Send a friendly letter in the mail to Alvin?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I really really hate to pick on anybody/ single anyone out.. That's not my style and I'm a very nice person but I find chap to be the most annoying person on any forum I've been on.. I see him as negative Mr. Know It All.

If you don't agree with him then you are WRONG, and he does not seem to understand the word "opinion".

Just saying..

I'm negative?

Wow, that's a first. I usually get more flack for being overly positive. I'm only annoying because I disagree with your homer opinions. Of course. Being realistic is incredibly bad on this board. If you feel the need, go ahead and put me on ignore. Then you won't be bothered.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gladly.

The front office knows that they screwed up the roster and Gentry is doing the best he can with this mess. Stein did an entire piece on who was on the hot seat even marginally so it was one third of the league. Want to guess who wasn't on there? Alvin friggin Gentry

There are only 3 people here really calling for Gentry's head - you, BC, sunsfan88. What do you all have in common? Complete and utter Gortat homers
Again your not getting it there big guy...Gortat isn't even my first or second favorite player on the squad. But if it makes your blah blah this and blahh homer that sound better go for it.
Lopez sucks, Gentry sucks for starting him, now we aren't in the playoffs. Bring up Gortat some more though and then say it's my obsession. Man, you really love you some Lopez, my bad, you could have just told me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Again your not getting it there big guy...Gortat isn't even my first or second favorite player on the squad. But if it makes your blah blah this and blahh homer that sound better go for it.
Lopez sucks, Gentry sucks for starting him, now we aren't in the playoffs. Bring up Gortat some more though and then say it's my obsession. Man, you really love you some Lopez, my bad, you could have just told me.

LOL

You honestly think if Gentry had decided to start Gortat we'd be headed into the playoffs now??

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm negative?

Wow, that's a first. I usually get more flack for being overly positive. I'm only annoying because I disagree with your homer opinions. Of course. Being realistic is incredibly bad on this board.

this board is bizzarro land right now.

there are "Gortat homers"... Chap is being called negative and paraphrasing a cheesebeef line about realism being passe...

strange times.

i'm perfectly happy with us losing out. bring on the losses and hope we strike gold in the lotto. it's the only way this sinking ship every starts to float again.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LOL

You honestly think if Gentry had decided to start Gortat we'd be headed into the playoffs now??
Honestly Chap, I think we could have pulled out some of the tighter games if we limited Lopez's minutes. Carter's too.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

there are "Gortat homers"... Chap is being called negative and paraphrasing a cheesebeef line about realism being passe...

strange times.

i'm perfectly happy with us losing out. bring on the losses and hope we strike gold in the lotto. it's the only way this sinking ship every starts to float again.

:thumbup:

Nice to be on the same side of a Suns issue for once. ;)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was real mad/sad after his loss. Needed a beer to get me back up. Good thing I got no work tomorrow.

Man if me as a fan is so mad that we lost, I can only imagine how bad the players are feelin right now.

We will likely lose to Toronto tomorrow for 2 reasons.

a) all our good players played 45+ minutes
b) we will be emotionally drained

A loss tomorrow means our season is over but I won't be mad if we lose tomorrow cause I understand how tough a game its gonna be.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Honestly Chap, I think we could have pulled out some of the tighter games if we limited Lopez's minutes. Carter's too.

Whoa there. I completely agree with you about Carter. Heck, tonight's game is proof of that.

But as for Lopez, he really barely plays in any game unless Gortat is in foul trouble, which is rare. Hell, he averages only 16 minutes per game right now. That's more than only Josh Childress, Zabian Dowdell, Garrett Siler and Gani Lawal.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

I don't love Lopez. I see a backup C that has indifferent impact on the game.

Your obsession with Gortat makes it so you can't take a real look at a basketball perspective. Our starting SG position is a much, much, much bigger problem than Lopez/Gortat starting.

Like I've told you before if Lopez comes off the bench and has the same production he has on bad nights than it makes no difference in the outcome of the game. If he is bad the bench gets worse and Gortat would still have to come in early. If he starts and has bad production then Gortat comes in early. So net result is no difference. Its not when he sucks but if he sucks.

I'd prefer to start Gortat but is too late for it. The shuffle in the rotation would take time to adjust to. Time we do NOT have. Just as an example it took us 2 games to adjust to getting our starting PF back in the damned lineup

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whoa there. I completely agree with you about Carter. Heck, tonight's game is proof of that.

But as for Lopez, he really barely plays in any game unless Gortat is in foul trouble, which is rare. Hell, he averages only 16 minutes per game right now. That's more than only Josh Childress, Zabian Dowdell, Garrett Siler and Gani Lawal.
He starts at the begining of the game and the second half, those are horrible times to play Lopez, against the best centers in the league is when he struggles. He could do much better at the end of the first and third quarters, which gives Marcin time to rest. I know you can dig it Chap, and Carter, man that Carter...I'll be glad when he is gone, (hoping Gentry doesn't want him back) :p

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't love Lopez. I see a backup C that has indifferent impact on the game.

Your obsession with Gortat makes it so you can't take a real look at a basketball perspective. Our starting SG position is a much, much, much bigger problem than Lopez/Gortat starting.

Like I've told you before if Lopez comes off the bench and has the same production he has on bad nights than it makes no difference in the outcome of the game. If he is bad the bench gets worse and Gortat would still have to come in early. If he starts and has bad production then Gortat comes in early. So net result is no difference. Its not when he sucks but if he sucks.

I'd prefer to start Gortat but is too late for it. The shuffle in the rotation would take time to adjust to. Time we do NOT have. Just as an example it took us 2 games to adjust to getting our starting PF back in the damned lineup
Gortat plays just fine with our starters, it's when we play our best ball, when Lopez is off the floor. No rotation or adjustments there. Your obsession with Lopez is frightning, is it the hair? Did you go to Stanford? Do you have a twin that is better than you? :p

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gladly.

I ain't gonna lie, today Gortat wasn't that great. Sure he rebounded well but he wasted a ton of offensive possesions. Guy needs to work on a post game. He's not gonna get spoon fed by Nash for the rest of his life.

I still hate Gentry because of his substitutions.

Why don't one of you Gentry supporters give me a good reason as to why Vince played in the OTs and the 4th QTR? No seriously.

Hill gets fouled out, instead of putting in a good defender in Pietrus he decides to go to Carter who is an AWFUL defender and was shooting ICE COLD at the time.

AND PLEASE DONT BS AND SAY "oh maybe Gentry wanted Vince to rediscover his shooting touch" because tell me one f****king game this season that Vince shot ice cold then got on fire late in the game!

Here is a fact for you all homers:

When Vince Carter starts shooting cold, he will NOT shoot well for the rest of the game. He will NEVER discover his shooting touch no matter how long he is on the court!

I am not gonna say Gentry lost us this game but he sure did not help us win it. Steve Nash is the only reason we went to triple OT and is the only reason Gentry has a job right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He starts at the begining of the game and the second half, those are horrible times to play Lopez, against the best centers in the league is when he struggles. He could do much better at the end of the first and third quarters, which gives Marcin time to rest. I know you can dig it Chap, and Carter, man that Carter...I'll be glad when he is gone, (hoping Gentry doesn't want him back) :p

I don't agree because Gortat is reason #1 why the bench has been doing so well lately. A lot of times, the bench is what keeps us in games and Gortat is a big part of that. If Lopez goes to the bench, it would be devastating for the bench.

Starting Lopez allows him to come in when the score is tied (0-0), so the margin for error is a little more lax. Starting Gortat means that Lopez would have to come in at the break, which would be bad for the bench. At least starting Lopez gives Gortat the ability to come in and pretty much stay in the rest of the half--both halves. Since we aren't that great at holding leads, how can you accept Robin Lopez being in the game with the rest of the bench players who need someone in the middle that can be productive?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

strange times.

You know the funny thing is I don't disagree with you on a lot of this. I'm routing for the team to win but if we lose eh no big deal. Knowing our luck we win the lottery in a year no big players come out due to the lockout.

I'm just sick of hearing how Gortat is the greatest player in the NBA ever and have to hear what BC found while looking through his trash this morning. Seriously its become so annoying that this board is becoming unreadable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I ain't gonna lie, today Gortat wasn't that great. Sure he rebounded well but he wasted a ton of offensive possesions. Guy needs to work on a post game. He's not gonna get spoon fed by Nash for the rest of his life.

I still hate Gentry because of his subsititions.

Why don't one of you Gentry supporters give me a good reason as to why Vince played in the OTs and the 4th QTR? No seriously.

Hill gets fouled out, instead of putting in a good defender in Pietrus he decides to go to Carter who is an AWFUL defender and was shooting ICE COLD at the time.

AND PLEASE DONT BS AND SAY "oh maybe Gentry wanted Vince to rediscover his shooting touch" because tell me one f****king game this season that Vince shot ice cold then got on fire late in the game!

Here is a fact for you all homers:

When Vince Carter starts shooting cold, he will NOT shoot well for the rest of the game. He will NEVER discover his shooting touch no matter how long he is on the court!

I aint gonna say Gentry lost us this game but he sure did not help us win it. Steve Nash is the only reason we went to triple OT and is the only reason Gentry has a job right now.

I agree with you about the Carter situation in the OTs. But is it enough to call for his head and his firing? No, of course not. So yes, Gentry shares a little blame for the loss, but not all the blame. And if he had done things a little different, would the outcome have been different? Perhaps, but that's not guaranteed. You can say the same thing about the phantom fouls called against Grant Hill and Nash's mistimed turnovers. Heck, you can even say it about Carter missing shots. If the opposite of any of those things happened, we could have won the game. But you can't say that the opposite of one of those things would DEFINITELY have won the game for us.

What's lost in all this badgering back and forth is that the Lakers actually ARE a good team. A damn good team. Even without Bynum.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't agree because Gortat is reason #1 why the bench has been doing so well lately. A lot of times, the bench is what keeps us in games and Gortat is a big part of that. If Lopez goes to the bench, it would be devastating for the bench.

Starting Lopez allows him to come in when the score is tied (0-0), so the margin for error is a little more lax. Starting Gortat means that Lopez would have to come in at the break, which would be bad for the bench. At least starting Lopez gives Gortat the ability to come in and pretty much stay in the rest of the half--both halves. Since we aren't that great at holding leads, how can you accept Robin Lopez being in the game with the rest of the bench players who need someone in the middle that can be productive?
Don't be such a Gortat Homer.:p
I see your point, Gortat keeps that second unit relevant at times when it is pretty bad. But my thing is Lopez would still be spending his time against a scrub style center, maybe even allowing him to produce. And we usually have a good lead, or climb back in the game after Nash /Frye/Gorta/Studley and who ever is hot do their thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05