Suns at Pistons 2/8

nowagimp

Reaction score
Amare had some nice stats but he seemed to disappear in the second half of the game for the most part. I guess it could be he was staying home on Rasheed at 3 point range.
Rasheed did a nice job of defending amare early in the 3rd, the suns went for a better matchup as the double was coming fast. WIth both amare and shaq, the surrounding cast stands around watrching. If guys dont move amare cant pass out, but his history says he wont once he makes a move - its a catch 22. The same appears to be true for shaq(0 dimes). Barbosa was outstanding once again(8-11 FG's, 17 points, 5 asst in 23 mins). He is worth keeping over the long haul with that contract.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Rasheed did a nice job of defending amare early in the 3rd, the suns went for a better matchup as the double was coming fast. WIth both amare and shaq, the surrounding cast stands around watrching. If guys dont move amare cant pass out, but his history says he wont once he makes a move - its a catch 22. The same appears to be true for shaq(0 dimes). Barbosa was outstanding once again(8-11 FG's, 17 points, 5 asst in 23 mins). He is worth keeping over the long haul with that contract.

In the 1st half, they tried to have Hill handling the ball at top of the key while Nash was on the court. With good results. Nash was passing on the right timing without hesitation his game, unlike in the past this season. His focus seems to be on, just like Amare's who was outstanding on defense in this game. Our def. liability is mainly Shaq in this game who was too slow to cover after switch.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
amare and shaq looked good earlier at the start of the season, making some good passes.
amare did make some passes to shaq and to others this game

shaq, well like you've been hinting at today, didnt make a pass.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
amare and shaq looked good earlier at the start of the season, making some good passes.

One of Amare's TOs was a pass unexpected byand bounced off Shaq under basket.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbosa was outstanding once again(8-11 FG's, 17 points, 5 asst in 23 mins). He is worth keeping over the long haul with that contract.

Sometimes LB just amazes me with his ability to score and he is starting to make some very nice passes as well. Maybe LB will eventually make that transition to a backup PG. IMO, it would have to be a natural transition but he is showing improvement in this area. LB is just showing more poise of late.

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
One of Amare's TOs was a pass unexpected byand bounced off Shaq under basket.
The other was Sheed hitting the ball on his knee and it bouncing out and he had one offensive foul. they weren't even bad turnovers, better than forcing shots.

nowagimp

Reaction score

I like the way amare played, but the team needs to work on plays off his moves. Amare puts alot of pressure on the defense and is almost always doubled so he should be able to get other guys some easy shots more regularly. He tried to pass and did get a couple dimes, but his teammates need to move more for him. Problem is that means they have to work on it more as that has not been his role this year, or in years past. If guys move better amare will have more opportunities for dimes. This is a missing piece to his offensive game at PF.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Sometimes LB just amazes me with his ability to score and he is starting to make some very nice passes as well. Maybe LB will eventually make that transition to a backup PG. IMO, it would have to be a natural transition but he is showing improvement in this area. LB is just showing more poise of late.

LB looks alot stronger this year, physically. He has apparently put on 10 lbs since last year, and its all muscle. He's defending better, and he is finishing better with body contact, and at least part of that is being stronger. I also think he is pretty confident he can beat anyone off the dribble, and he might be pretty close to being right there.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like what J Rich brings to the Suns when he is used properly. Small two guards like Iverson and Pargo can no longer abuse us like they did last year. He punishes them with his post up game. They got a free pass on the defensive end with Raja usually hanging out at the three point line.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Same here. One thing I am scared of trading LB, he might pull a Devin Harris on us, the guy can be as good in my opinion. LB this year looks pretty impressive, much much better than many expected after his Mom's passing.

bill pear

Reaction score
sign alonzo mourning he can and will close up the middle and also push shaq for minutes and maybe he wont be as lazy on defense and put a little more hustle in his game knowing Zo will bust his but to be on the floor and give it all he has and show Phoenix what a true defender looks like.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
sign alonzo mourning he can and will close up the middle and also push shaq for minutes and maybe he wont be as lazy on defense and put a little more hustle in his game knowing Zo will bust his but to be on the floor and give it all he has and show Phoenix what a true defender looks like.
We cannot sign Zo. The man is retired.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Most impressive thing about Leandro Barbosa this year is that he is playing SMARTER. He may have gained 10 extra pounds of muscle, but he also gained another 10 basketball IQ points. He doesn't charge like an angry rhinoceros like he did last year. He is making better decisions on both ends on the floor.

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
nah i think JRich still deserves the starting spot. his versatility and explosiveness are in advantage. i think LB performs best with his Sixth Man role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns played so well last night. I seriously thought it might be because Porter was sick and Gentry was running the team. Maybe if Porter would loosen his grip on the team, it would help.

I wonder if Porter will be sick for the Sixers game. :D

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns played so well last night. I seriously thought it might be because Porter was sick and Gentry was running the team. Maybe if Porter would loosen his grip on the team, it would help.

I wonder if Porter will be sick for the Sixers game. :D

That's too much hating on Porter. He actually just left the bench briefly in first quarter.

Basicly I like Porter's system, mix feeling about his rotation. But I hate his personell handling ...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too much hating on Porter. He actually just left the bench briefly in first quarter.

Basicly I like Porter's system, mix feeling about his rotation. But I hate his personell handling ...

You are the only one throwing around the word "hate." I'm just thinking that Porter may be too hands-on during games. Anyway, (IMO) Porter sitting quietly on the bench for one game helped. Maybe he should rely more on assistants like Gentry for help.

nowagimp

Reaction score
does porter have the balls to try and start LB ahead of Jrich?

LB no longer can be pushed around, his D is better and his finishing with contact against bigger players is a big step forward. I like LB coming from the bench mostly, but some matchups might dictate a starting role. I like the idea of resting Hill a bit in the 2nd half of the season, if the suns can afford it, and moving JRich to the starting SF and LB at the '2'. JRich brings a nice offensive versatility over Raja, defends the '3' even better than the '2', and on some matchups(like stuckey) his greater length and physical strength can be a real asset. His length allows him to play like a 6'8" player, while raja had just average length at 6'5". I dont think the suns should blow up the team until we see what this group can do, and that means the suns must continue to develop JRich in the offense, and continue to improve their communication on help defense. These things take time, and all the blow up scenarios are premature, IMO. The bad turnovers are most likely a result of the new pieces and lack of familiarity as well as tinkering with rotations. They solve those issues and they might be able to get out of the first round, if they dont face the lakers.

nowagimp

Reaction score

the suns are no longer using porters system, it appears to be a hybrid and they do better the more they run against most teams. Porters offensive system is basically flip saunders and it didnt produce in the playoffs. The pistons, in spite of all that talent, lost in the playoffs under saunders system due to failures in offensive execution(41% FG's). Frankly, Billups looks better in denver running Karls system.