Suns at Warriors ESPN and FSN AZ 7:00PM

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Shaquille O'Neal didn't seem to be slowed by his hip injury in his first practice as a member of the Phoenix Suns, but it's uncertain exactly when he'll make his game debut.He's unlikely to play in the team's next game, but if he does, the 15-year veteran may need a running start.An up-and-down, fast-paced game is expected on Wednesday night when the new-look Suns hit the road against the Golden State Warriors in a matchup of the league's highest-scoring teams.The battle for the top spot in the Western Conference took an interesting twist when Phoenix (36-15) traded Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to Miami for the 14-time All-Star a week ago. On Monday, O'Neal practiced with his new team for the first time."It was different. It was very intense," said O'Neal, who hasn't played since the Heat lost to Cleveland on Jan. 19. "I learned a lot. Now I can see why they can go at the pace they play at. When you just do short bursts like this, then you can save it all for the game."After practicing again Tuesday, O'Neal realized he could use more time learning the offense before joining the Suns in game action."I want to be a little more in tune before I step out on the court, because as you watch this team without me, they're like a great flowing machine," O'Neal said. "I don't want to be the kink in the machinery."Suns coach Mike D'Antoni doesn't want to rush O'Neal into the lineup with just two games remaining before the All-Star break, but would not rule him out of Thursday's game against Dallas."He's not quite ready," D'Antoni said. "He wants to be comfortable with the offense. He knows it's going to be a big splash when he goes out the first time."At less than 100 percent, O'Neal would seem likely to struggle keeping up against Golden State (31-20). The Warriors and the Suns both score more than 109 points per game -- every other team in the league is under 107 -- and their last three meetings featured even more scoring. Phoenix has averaged 120.3 points while Golden State has scored 119.3.But the Warriors have won the past two contests, both in Oakland. Suns forward Grant Hill described Golden State's 129-114 win on Nov. 26 as a "track meet."When the Suns do get O'Neal in the lineup, that could open things up offensively for Amare Stoudemire. The All-Star has been dominant lately even without O'Neal, averaging 28.5 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.3 blocks over his last four games.He had 31 points and 13 boards in Phoenix's 108-107 win over Washington on Sunday."Amare is really good," D'Antoni said. "He's blocking shots, he's running, he's shooting -- and just his attitude. I can't say enough about him."Despite the teams' high-scoring games, Stoudemire is averaging just 14.7 points in his last three meetings with the Warriors.Steve Nash has 11 double-doubles in his last 13 games against Golden State, averaging 17.8 points and 11.7 assists.The Warriors (31-20) are five games behind the Suns for the West's best record, but in the ultra-tight conference, that has them simply fighting for one of the conference's final two playoff spots at the moment.Golden State has won four of five and eight of 11, and like Phoenix, also topped Washington in its most recent game. The Warriors came back from a 23-point deficit to win 120-117 on Monday behind 41 points from Stephen Jackson, who was playing on a bad ankle."Unbelievable, a lot of guys wouldn't have even played," coach Don Nelson said. "We said during the timeouts that we'd go to (him). He had the hot hand and we ran some stuff for him and he was the man."Jackson is averaging 30.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in his last two games against Phoenix.He and Monta Ellis have been an explosive 1-2 punch lately. While Jackson has averaged 25.9 points over the last seven games, Ellis has averaged 25.2 in his last nine games while shooting 61.6 percent.Ellis is averaging 24.8 points in his last five contests against the Suns.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=280213009

Suns 117
Warriors 116

Amare

nowagimp

Reaction score
We're going to get killed tonight...

Yeah playing short against the fastest team in the the league. the suns may get their collective arse run off. Strawberry needs to try out Monta Ellis, no one else on the suns can guard him, why not straw.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Yeah playing short against the fastest team in the the league. the suns may get their collective arse run off. Strawberry needs to try out Monta Ellis, no one else on the suns can guard him, why not straw.

It's a shame, too, because Shaq would have taken Ivan Drago...ooops, I mean Andris Biedrins to school at the 5.

Still, Suns by 8, with a Baron Davis/Stephen Jackson technical at the end to seal it!

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
It's tougher than usual to predict a winner in a game like this. I think it will be close--and a lot of fun.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's funny, and maybe a bit naive, but I never think the Suns will lose before a game. Well, maybe that last Utah game was the exception. But Shaq cannot be the difference between beating the Warriors and losing to them. After all, GS is not one of those teams we specifically acquired Shaq for.

fordronken

Reaction score
It's funny, and maybe a bit naive, but I never think the Suns will lose before a game. Well, maybe that last Utah game was the exception. But Shaq cannot be the difference between beating the Warriors and losing to them. After all, GS is not one of those teams we specifically acquired Shaq for.

Yeah, but think about how many layups the Warriors get against us. Then think about what happens when the Warriors try to guard Shaq with Chris Webber.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, Strawberry deserves some more playing time because of his quickness.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets go suns beat the warriors hope shaq plays tommorow vs the mavs since he probally isn't going to play tonight anxious to see him on the court next to amare :)

Suns 127

Warriors 124

Leading Scorer Barbosa

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
I thought Shaq would play against us tonight, oh well I still think its going to be a close game. W's havent played well last few games, Baron isnt shooting well lately and even Harrington has looked bad as well. Webber looks like his age. Only bright spot has been "All Day" Monte, and he is emerging as a star for us, and Action Jack who supplied 40+ points on Monday.

We'll see tonight since the Suns play a similar style like us. We wont run you guys off the court like we do to teams who like playing the half court, so I personally think it will go down to turnovers and fast break points to who will win. That and FT's.

Well Im on my way to the game tonight, good luck for you guys but Go Warriors

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
GS has some nasty big balls on them (their performance against washington was like vs dallas in the playoffs type of ballsy), quite a seriously scrappy team.

We are going to be in trouble.

Hopefully we shoot good otherwise I don't see us pulling out a win.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to get the ball to Amare much more than last game against Warriors, cut our turnovers dramatically, and make good use of the bench to keep our starters fresh for the fourth quarter. If we do those things, I think we can be ok out there.

I'd like to see us try some zone against the Warriors and also try to keep the pace fast but not really fast like the Warriors like. I don't wanna see the horrible layup lanes for the Warriors like in the last couple of games against them.

I think another important thing is to avoid giving up another 40 or more point 1st quarter.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow high scoring game so far baron davis is scoring inside at will not good

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
Not a good showing from our second unit. Barbosa should dominate this type of game.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh..Warriors have 17 fast break points just in the 1st quarter and are shooting 59% and 3/6 3 pointers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Suns need to come out guns blazing in the 2nd quarter

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
Barbs being aggressive going to the rim, that's what you have to do against GS with the lineup they have in now.

But I agree with Van Gundy, should have been a no call on Pietrus' block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05