Suns draft Ryan Dunn at #28

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is no way we would have drafted these guys without Coach Bud's ok. There were better shooters on the board at both picks, so they must think their shots can be fixed or at least servicable.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I heard a guy say on the radio, the shoes can add 1.5 to 2.0 inches of height at the sizes these guys are buying them at.
Official NBA (and college) heights have always been an iffy thing at best. I remember Charles Barkley being listed at 6-8 in his early college days, then that got reduced to 6-6 in the pros. By the end of his career, I think even he himself finally admitted he was more like in the 6-3 or 6-4 range.

I've heard of lots of other cases of that throughout league history. Guys were often listed as slightly (or sometimes significantly) taller than they actually were. Lots of smaller guards listed at 6-0 and over were in actuality under that height. Many supposed 7 footers were no taller than 6-9 or 6-10 and so on. I guess when you're a fair bit taller than the average person, an inch or two doesn't make all that much noticeable difference, anyway.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Official NBA (and college) heights have always been an iffy thing at best. I remember Charles Barkley being listed at 6-8 in his early college days, then that got reduced to 6-6 in the pros. By the end of his career, I think even he himself finally admitted he was more like in the 6-3 or 6-4 range.

I've heard of lots of other cases of that throughout league history. Guys were often listed as slightly (or sometimes significantly) taller than they actually were. Lots of smaller guards listed at 6-0 and over were in actuality under that height. Many supposed 7 footers were no taller than 6-9 or 6-10 and so on. I guess when you're a fair bit taller than the average person, an inch or two doesn't make all that much noticeable difference, anyway.

KD is listed at 6'10" and Ayton 7' but it was clear as day that KD was taller than Ayton.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anybody really cares at this point the height to the top of some dudes head. I don't know, maybe you could argue that it helps point guards to see over people. I thought it was pretty much universally accepted at this point standing reach and wingspan and hand size are more important . I think we still tend to put too much emphasis on vertical and probably not enough on foot speed .

I just don't ever want to see them draft another player, especially a high draft pick where there are questions about heart/motor.

Joe

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

There's exceptions the other way too. Wilt lied about his height being shorter than it was. He didn't want to be seen as only being good because he was tall. People have said Shaq is taller than he says he is. Maybe same reason.

Guys less than 6 foot pretty much all say they are 6 foot.

Met Charles on the golf course a bunch of times. He's not close to 6'6". Makes what he did on the court more impressive. Especially the rebounding.

This industry you never really know how tall guys really are.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KD was measured at 6’9” at the combine but Presti said he grew another 2” after that. I never thought DA was a true 7ft.
Didn't DA and KD look the same height standing next to each other? It seemed like it.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's exceptions the other way too. Wilt lied about his height being shorter than it was. He didn't want to be seen as only being good because he was tall. People have said Shaq is taller than he says he is. Maybe same reason.

Met Charles on the golf course a bunch of times. He's not close to 6'6". Makes what he did on the court more impressive. Especially the rebounding.

I remember a comment about Chuck long ago. It was stated Charles Barkley was the greatest 6’4 1/2 inch rebounder of all time.

Funny, I met Barkley at a golf course as well. When I shook his hand I walked away thinking I just shook the largest hand I could imagine. I felt like my hand was the size of a 5 year old.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Bill Walton, too, supposedly. He was actually 7 feet tall, but was embarrassed by that and always made sure they listed him as 6-11.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I remember a comment about Chuck long ago. It was stated Charles Barkley was the greatest 6’4 1/2 inch rebounder of all time.

Funny, I met Barkley at a golf course as well. When I shook his hand I walked away thinking I just shook the largest hand I could imagine. I felt like my hand was the size of a 5 year old.
I became a Suns fan because of Barkley, for how he dominated the game with his limited size.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. I like this kids form. He took so few jumpers in VA’s offense. He is a great finisher at the rim and good at receiving lobs. I just love watching hungry young players.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Like Einstein said, it's all relative. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm