Suns get Aaron Brooks

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just watched ALOT of Aaron Brooks video. He is better than Dragic. Certainly not on D, but he is a much better ball handler. He was often all by himself pushing the ball with Houston. It seems pretty clear he was not a good fit in Houstons half court offense. He can score in bunches. He gets his shot off VERY quickly. Dragic took a long time to get set. He is a better passer and creates his own shot. He also certainly has the ability to create for others, but does not do it enough. On the tape though, announcers were criticizing him for being too unselfish.

I doubt we could have picked up someone this good with that Orlando pick.

This guy is better than I expected.

The big gripe seems to be that he dominates the ball. That should be able to be resolved with coaching, but it probably won't be as big an issue playing with our second team.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That was a good listen, I liked how he laughed when asked if he minded playing behind Steve Nash, he straight up knows whats what and that's good. Sounds like he is still a bit gimpy but wants to get some respect back. Would be really nice if this cat panned out.

They tried to bait him on a couple questions, and it was kinda odd doing a radio show in the town he just got bounced from, same day from a team he had problems with. Color me clueless and optimistic. Homie can ball, I doubt he will master the pick and roll so I don't know about the long haul.

But if he wants to get some minutes, Gentry will leave that bench on the floor the whole 4th quarter if they are winning. Same with any other quarter, Gentry will ride that second string as much as he can, that's why we rock when our bench plays well. Our starters have always been pretty good in the desert.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
^^Lol the guy interviewing him is such an idiot.

"Are you ok with being backup to Nash?"

What kind of quesiton is that? Does he expect for Brooks to start over a top 5 PG in the NBA? Does he expect Brooks to be mad because he can't start over the best offensive PG in the NBA?

Even Brooks is laughing at that question.

I think Brooks will be good in our simply because of his speed. That speed has given so many teams troubles,most notably the Lakers.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I don't care much for Hollinger, but this trade is definitely a plus for this year. Dragic was tragic, and its a late pick in the first round if they make the playoffs, and if they don't we get a nice pick. What's the big fuss?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Suns.com has a video up of Babby and Blanks talking about the trade and one thing is certain, they don't value non-lottery picks all that much.

Seems to me the main problem everyone is having with the trade is not that it's for Aaron Brooks, but that it's for Dragic AND a pick. I doubt we'd see this kind of uproar if it was Dragic for Brooks straight up or Brooks for a pick. But if you think about it, it's a late teens pick (say for argument's sake, Earl Clark) and a mid-2nd rounder who showed some signs last year, for a guy that won Most Improved. Sure, he's regressed this season after starting the season injured, but he was also in a system that didn't speak to his skills too well (the same can be said for Dragic here).

We'll see what happens, but we won't really know the true value of this trade until a) Brooks starts playing within the system and b) where our own pick will lie (lottery or not?). All I know that I'm sick and tired of losing nice leads at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th quarters. If we can stop that, then this team all of a sudden becomes very dangerous.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't like that most of his highlights are shots in which he is nearly blocked. However, he could definitely fill a (backup) role on this team.

My question is did the Rockets request Dragic or were the Suns trying to get rid of him and the Rockets would have taken another player of similar salary?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't like that most of his highlights are shots in which he is nearly blocked. However, he could definitely fill a (backup) role on this team.

My question is did the Rockets request Dragic or were the Suns trying to get rid of him and the Rockets would have taken another player of similar salary?

I imagine (and I don't know squat) we were just looking for a point guard to give us that bench push we were lacking, and had some kind of list of who we could live without. The deadline was approaching and both teams felt good about it. Salary similarities had to help out some.

I can also see Goran playing along side a point guard, which Houston seems to have enough of.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am curious how Dragic cut his foot.

If, it was being stupid somehow, that kind of stupid usually translates into drunk or angry (or both). I don't know how many other options there are. I am sure we will never know that story.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
In most of his highlights he's made some tough shots over big opponent or opponents. That is what impressed me the most. Am I expecting the next coming of AI? Heck no. Am I expecting a step up from Dragic, heck yea. We'll see. If he doesn't fit then its not like its a long contract, he can easily be traded because a lot of teams were inquiring about him.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Suns.com has a video up of Babby and Blanks talking about the trade and one thing is certain, they don't value non-lottery picks all that much.

Seems to me the main problem everyone is having with the trade is not that it's for Aaron Brooks, but that it's for Dragic AND a pick. I doubt we'd see this kind of uproar if it was Dragic for Brooks straight up or Brooks for a pick. But if you think about it, it's a late teens pick (say for argument's sake, Earl Clark) and a mid-2nd rounder who showed some signs last year, for a guy that won Most Improved. Sure, he's regressed this season after starting the season injured, but he was also in a system that didn't speak to his skills too well (the same can be said for Dragic here).

We'll see what happens, but we won't really know the true value of this trade until a) Brooks starts playing within the system and b) where our own pick will lie (lottery or not?). All I know that I'm sick and tired of losing nice leads at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th quarters. If we can stop that, then this team all of a sudden becomes very dangerous.

I can definitely see Brooks doing a good job leading the 2nd unit and I will be interested to see how we finish the year.

However, I do not understand the front office's contempt for non-lottery picks. On KTAR, Gentry was doing a phone interview with Gambo & Ash and he told them that if the suns had not sold the Rudy Fernandez pick to Portland, they would have selected Aaron Brooks there. He said they were very high on him in the draft and they were hoping that he would have dropped to 29, but Houston grabbed him 2 spots before them.

I don't have to go through the picks that this team has sold/traded over the past 5 years but I am surprised that this front office doesn't see the value in adding young, moderately talented players to the roster through the draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
People are talking about a 40% (or so) shooting percentage like it's low, but just think for a moment how dramatically the Suns would be improved if the second unit could score on 40% of its possessions. Dragic's relatively decent FG% is misleading because his turnover rate is so alarming high -- and not only that, but his turnovers are disproportionately likely to lead to a fast break going the other way, because he makes them in the middle of the court when the defense is already extended, halfway to the other basket. Brooks's turnover rate is about half of Dragic's, which means that the Suns should be quite a bit more likely to at least get a shot off, even if the shot itself isn't great.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can definitely see Brooks doing a good job leading the 2nd unit and I will be interested to see how we finish the year.

However, I do not understand the front office's contempt for non-lottery picks. On KTAR, Gentry was doing a phone interview with Gambo & Ash and he told them that if the suns had not sold the Rudy Fernandez pick to Portland, they would have selected Aaron Brooks there. He said they were very high on him in the draft and they were hoping that he would have dropped to 29, but Houston grabbed him 2 spots before them.

I don't have to go through the picks that this team has sold/traded over the past 5 years but I am surprised that this front office doesn't see the value in adding young, moderately talented players to the roster through the draft.

If you add up the average age on the Championship winning teams, and then consider how hard it is to keep big name players once they have established themselves, even after you drafted them, it makes a little sense. Add in the fact that we don't draft very well and we might be better off trading picks for what we think we need in free agency.

Also I think I read that the Knicks were interested in Brooks, which would indicate that D'Antoni might have been the one with his eye on Brooks.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
People are complaining about Brooks' aggressiveness in shooting. I wish Dragic was that aggressive. I wouldn't mind a scorer type guard coming in for Nash. It might help the stagnant offense that the bench always falls into.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is draft picks are not nearly as valuable in the NBA as it is in other sports.

Its because out of the 30 players drafted in the 1st rd, only about 5-10 are gonna be very productive for their team. Then of course some take longer to pan out but by then their contract is over, and some new team picks him up.

Thats why free agency and trades are soo damn important in the NBA.

And to be honest, the Suns will likely be picking between #12-#20 and I doubt anyone better than Brooks will be drafted then.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Houston supposedly called the Suns and talked about one of their late 1st rd picks + Brooks for Gortat/Dragic.

Then we said no. So they traded for Thabeet instead and then called us again asking for Dragic & a 1st for Brooks.

Rest is history.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I talked to a co-worker right now (Lakers fan) and said it was a bad trade. He said he really liked Dragic compared with Brooks.

:bang:

That's probably because Sasha (who sucks ) got into Dragic's head everytime Goran came in, it was comical. I think Brooks would burn him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is draft picks are not nearly as valuable in the NBA as it is in other sports.

Its because out of the 30 players drafted in the 1st rd, only about 5-10 are gonna be very productive for their team. Then of course some take longer to pan out but by then their contract is over, and some new team picks him up.

Thats why free agency and trades are soo damn important in the NBA.

And to be honest, the Suns will likely be picking between #12-#20 and I doubt anyone better than Brooks will be drafted then.

That's some amazing ********. Take a look at the good teams, almost all of their key players were their draft picks.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's some amazing ********. Take a look at the good teams, almost all of their key players were their draft picks.
OK.

Lets start by lookin at arguable the most dominant team of this decade...

Lakers:

Kobe Bryant- NOT DRAFTED BY THE LAKERS
Shaquille O'Neal- NOT DRAFTED BY THE LAKERS
Pau Gasol- NOT DRAFTED BY THE LAKERS

Celtics:

Kevin Garnett- NOT DRAFTED BY THE CELTICS
Ray Allen- NOT DRAFTED BY CELTICS
Paul Pierce- drafted by celtics
Rajon Rondo- NOT DRAFTED BY CELTICS

Pistons:

Rip Hamilton: NOT DRAFTED BY THE PISTONS
Chauncey Billups: NOT DRAFTED BY THE PISTONS
Rasheed Wallace: NOT DRAFTED BY THE PISTONS
Tayshuan Prince: drafted by pistons
Ben Wallace: NOT DRAFTED OR SIGNED BY PISTONS

Most of the recent teams to win titles with the exception of the Spurs, have not relied much, if any, on drafts.

I am not saying we shouldn't build through the draft but since we're horrible at drafting its better to trade the picks for proven players.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OK.

Lakers:

Celtics:

Pistons:

Yeah bro,lets look at those teams.....and include the Spurs.....
Were any of them determined to lead the league in scoring and matador defense over the past 7 years?

Where's my puppy? :)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
OK.

Lakers:

Celtics:

Pistons:

Most of the recent teams to win titles with the exception of the Spurs, have not relied much, if any, on drafts.

I am not saying we shouldn't build through the draft but since we're horrible at drafting its better to trade the picks for proven players.

Kobe WAS drafted by the Lakers esentially
Rondo WAS drafted by the Celtics.

Shaq is an exception.

Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett were acquired through draft picks and drafted players and Perkins was also their pick(Al Jefferson, Jeff Green, Delonte West..)

the Spurs have Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Blair..
the Thunder have Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka..
the Blazer have Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Fernandez, Batum..
the Bulls have Rose, Noah..
the Magic have Howard..
the Heat have Wade..

All these teams were built around their draft picks. The only exception is Detroit and they were not one of the most dominant teams this decade.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This team is clueless. If they want to move in a different direction, first make sure the other one isn't a brick wall, with spikes on it.

Dragic while regressing, clearly shows more ability. You don't just get rid of this guy this early. It's still far too early to tell what he'll be. But for a guy who doesn't hog the ball, he sure was able to score like a ball hogger should. Brooks hogs the ball, and yet could never do what Dragic has already achieved.

This guy is more like a poor man's Stephon Marbury.

I keep hearing we'll be players in 2012 fa. Really? With our $$$$ owner expecting every player to accept less money? You can't Joe Johnson fa's.

Plus while having 'weather' to draw players, we won't have squat else, PLUS by now everybody knows $arver i$n't Jerry.

So who is going to sign with us? No Nash, No Marion, No Joe Johnson, No Amare, nor the 30 all-stars (joking, but dang near the truth) we gave away for $$$$, which we then would sign or trade (more picks or talent) for crap, which we would then trade away for $$$, rinse, repeat.

While it is still a ways away and much can change, if our current path is any sort of trend, we'll be lucky to overpay for a subpar player, as everybody else goes somewhere they have a chance to win, and won't be playing for a cheap owner.

I've seen this 'cap space' argument done time and time again, and we've been screwed in the past, we've seen numerous teams screwed just this past season. How are we going to sell the fa's? If we're banking on weather, we're already screwed.

Dragic can still be an all-star. He definitely has all-star stretches, and whatever we've seen this year is nothing compared to what he could do in subsequent years. Dragic next year isn't this year, and we just sold low on this guy, and there was no need for it. NO NEED.

We even gave up a pick. Insane. (and yes, you don't know who you get until you pick. sometimes a good player drops, other times you get lucky, but you won't know until you play the game). Either way, I'd rather HAVE the pick, and take a shot. Because unless you take a shot, you never have a chance for it to go in. Yes, like the Arizona pick, you only win if you play the game. We haven't, and those that we've given our picks to, or like Igodala, completely screwed the pooch by not hanging in there, have turned out to be all-stars or serviceable players time and time again. Right there for the taking, many times the reports are that this is the guy we're looking at, and wow he's drafted, it's just that we drafted him for another team.

So we don't draft well? Well since we decided to take the most 1st round picks in the nba in the 2000's and end up drafting the fewest, how could anyone say we aren't good at it? It doesn't appear we're good, because we're never picking them. It makes it quite easy to say we can't pick well, when you don't see them on our roster, but again why is that?

So we sold low on dragic AND gave up a 1st who we know not, for a poor man's Stephon Marbury, with potential locker room issues, who is a free agent (or qualifying offer) and thus might not be around in two months, or 1 year and 2 months. With that great cap space we'll never use correctly...see Amare's great cap space usage.

Nope, $arver is now in the disintegration phase of our team. This is his last roll before everything goes sour, and if he doesn't roll boxcars, it's over....for a long time.

But let's go out and sign more guys like Josh Childress with our great cap space, only to have to surrender lottery picks to get rid of....so now when we trade Nash, we're going to get crap in return because Childress will be moved with it. If not, who else do we have we can trade away? Gortat? Pietrus? No thanks.

Man, I would have been pissed if it was Josh Childress and 1st round pick for Brooks. We can't keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Reloading, then shooting our other foot. Then our hand, then the other hand, and now Nash, the head is next.

All one giant spiral from being cheap on ~5-10 million on Joe Johnson. Such is the realities of bankster non-thinking. Who sure knew how to hire a crony who then signed his boys in pure bss aackwards approach. The Suns, we had it all, and our petty owner pissed it all away...and we didn't even get a dang lousy t-shirt.

So we're going to either have to re-sign him, a waste, or not re-sign him, also a waste. If he re-signs, we'll have to waste more down the road to get rid of him, $arver style. We give up another 1st round pick, still have Childress on our roster, and

$arver hasn't learned squat, and after about 50 idiot moves, anyone guess what the next 50 will be? Potential dynasty to Clippers, and all that we have to show for it is whatever we get for Nash.

One more run, and even that isn't guaranteed, hell more like a longshot at this point.

How many days until the next trade where we get taken behind the woodshed again, this time with Nash?

Unlike the banking world, in the NBA, you don't fail upwards. Keep thinking that worthless crap is worth something and somehow it will all turnaround. Oh yes, our Suns are a shammockery of epic proportions. If the Suns were a country, we'd make Banana Republics look real.

So while the following may not be true, the track record shows, if you get traded/scumbagged by $arver, you're going to be an all-star.

We traded dragic? Seriously? Because when I woke up today, I said, the Suns would only be a good team, if we traded Dragic, he was oh so holding us back. Plus now we have one less pick for a potential trade up. But we got our new captain Sisko of Deep space nine, Avery Brooks, and you really have to be out there to believe we didn't just pull another $arver.

I'd rather be $arvered out in the middle of nowhere. You know, be up a creek without a paddle, to have everything in the palm of your hand, only to let it get away.

Our fans...nearly got munson....err $arverd. Oh wait we did.

If dragic wasn't the future, that what the hell have we been doing? To give up on him now IS another case of being $arvered. I'm not optimistic about the future, because I know the same non-thinking process will be applied incorrectly again. This is last call, not much we can do to get better after Nash is traded, he's our team's last bailout package, and once again it will be misused for an absolute sophist reason.

Deaf, dumb, and stupid would only partially describe the better parts of our Suns organization. The NBA is once again laughing, and everywhere like everything else most people are choosing the head in the sand approach. Reality is coming, and it's going to be a mother. Keep waiting for five straight grand slams, I'm sure it'll happen. Once again I'll point out the obvious, our leadership, is nuts. Follow their lunacy at your own peril. Sadly as a fan, I'm tied to the bumper like Stinky, and Clark W. Grizwold is doing the driving.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05