Suns get Aaron Brooks

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Brooks will make the Suns better now and into the future. He is only 26. The Suns may have been thinking about drafting a PG with their first pick anyway. Dragic was not getting it done.

So you think getting a guy who averages 1 more assist than Dragic despite playing 10 more minutes is the solution? He is older than Dragic and he is a worse player and we gave up the pick. Just mind blowingly awful.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not sure what to think about this one yet. He's been pretty bad this year, went from leading the league in 3 ptr's made last year to shooting 28 percent this year. Yuck.

Scouting report...

+ Tiny, lightning quick point guard who also can step back and shoot 3s.

+ Penetrates easily, but has poor court vision and tends to overdribble.

+ Size a constant issue on defense; quickness less of a factor than it is offensively.

"Brooks is what scouts call a "pounder" -- he'll take ten dribbles looking for a shot before finally giving it up, and when he does it's not necessarily for a great look. His pure point rating was only 60th out of 71 point guards, his assist ratio 62nd."

Had such high hopes for Goran, but his regression this year, and further evidence that he isn't a PG, let alone the PGOTF make this more tolerable.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mid first round pick and your worried about that? What is the chance that mid first rounder does anything more than Earl Clark? Less than 20 percent most likely. We get a guard that could rest Nash enough so he doesn't crawl up and die. Brooks is a better PG than Dragic. Nice move by the Suns!

Brooks is not a better PG than Dragic. He is a worse shooter, a worse passer, and a worse defender. He does shoot a ton though to get to his 11 PPG in 25 minutes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic's turnovers were horrific and Dragic sometimes can't hit the side of a barn. The Suns pick would probably net you a project player at best.

I am thinking it's worth it for a tested vet PG like Brooks.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cannot grasp the idea of giving up a pick. Well, VC and Frye should be happy. We now have a new player for everyone to hate.

Such varied opinions on Brooks. Not sure what to make of it.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Aaron Brooks was one unmotivated player this year in houston. hopefully this trade reinvigorates him and he'll get to run the point with some talented players as well.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic's turnover were horrific and Dragic sometimes can't hit the side of a barn. The Suns pick would probably net you a project player at best.

I am thinking it's worth it for a tested vet PG like Brooks.

Yet Dragic's 42% is better than Brooks' CAREER AVERAGE.

Brooks is slightly better (like .2) at assist to turnover but plays 10 more minutes a game.

Straight up, I would question this trade just because the defensive difference is staggering.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brooks has a year left on his contract, qualifying offer ($2m) for next year.

Coincidentally, Dragic also had a team option for next year for ($2m) ...Maybe Dragic had informed the team that he would want to go back to Spain after his deal was up? Seems odd.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think the question is . . . will he be better in spelling Nash for 12 minutes per game than Dragic was on a consistent basis?

Defensively, it sounds like not. Playmaking, it sounds like a draw.

Here are his stats. 6'0" - 161 lbs. 26 yo. 4th season, all with Houston.

Last season, he started all 82 games, played 35.6 mpg. 19.6 points - 5.3 assists.

This season, he started 7 out of 34 games, played 23.9 mpg. 11.6 points - 3.8 assists.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet Dragic's 42% is better than Brooks' CAREER AVERAGE.

Brooks is slightly better (like .2) at assist to turnover but plays 10 more minutes a game.

Straight up, I would question this trade just because the defensive difference is staggering.

Dragic seemed to be regressing though in many ways.

First off Brooks has was injured early and Lowrey played well and it impacted Brooks return. I am not sure how much stalk you can put into this years #'s. It seem like Brooks had turned the corner until the injury.

Brooks was averaging last year almost 20 PPG and 5.3 assists. That cannot be overlooked. It shows he probably has more ability then Dragic to run this offense. In terms of defense, according to what I am looking at it's a wash. Both players were letting opposing guards score against them 15.5 versus 15.9 per 48. Dragic was not playing good defense this year.

The Suns I think were looking for someone who could put 10 points in more consistently a game from that position. He is rated a more efficient PG (although not by much) but that is important in this office. He is averaging almost one assist more and slightly less turnovers.

If the Suns get anything close to the Brooks that Houston had last year....the Suns will be very happy.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
He averaged 19.6 PPG last year and 39 percent from 3. I'm willing to see if he can regain his game over Dragic who a) cant shoot well b) isnt very confident in the NBA c) is a poor FT shooter d) not a great passer. Dragic isnt that much younger than Brooks anyway an our draft picks always suck. We get to keep it anyway if we are a lottery team and if we aren't, who cares late first rounders suck.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a RFA this summer. So it could be somewhat of a salary dump too. But you should not have to deal a pick with Dragic to dump salary. His deal was not that bad and there are plenty of teams that might want Goran (Atlanta, Clips, etc). Something must have been going on behind the scenes with Goran.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think getting a guy who averages 1 more assist than Dragic despite playing 10 more minutes is the solution? He is older than Dragic and he is a worse player and we gave up the pick. Just mind blowingly awful.

I wouldn't argue the pick issue. However, Dragic was not a good backup for Nash. It seems Dowdell played better than Dragic.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He averaged 19.6 PPG last year and 39 percent from 3. I'm willing to see if he can regain his game over Dragic who a) cant shoot well b) isnt very confident in the NBA c) is a poor FT shooter d) not a great passer. Dragic isnt that much younger than Brooks anyway an our draft picks always suck. We get to keep it anyway if we are a lottery team and if we aren't, who cares late first rounders suck.

Yeah our draft picks always suck....like:

Rajon Rondo
Andre Igodala
Marcin Gortat
Sergio Fernandez

We draft great players all the time and just give them away. Clark is doing a lot better in Miami.

Dragic is 3 years younger, or roughly 25% of someone's playing career.

At some point you need young players for the future. This damn shell game of mediocrity is crazy.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he is comfortable coming off the bench and giving us a boost, he can do a lot for himself and the Suns. He knows he has been labeled with the trouble tag, he knows his contact value will either go up or down with how he plays here. He does have skills, but he gets in his own way. Glad we got him now while Nash has some juice left, it will be interesting to see him play (or walk out on the team while the game is still going), that's for sure. :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
draft isn't very good this year anyways.

They say that every year. Every year there are good players at the end of the draft and into the second round that become productive NBA players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coro says the Suns tried to get Millsap but could not get it done.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand Jagu and Daren's position. It's a good trade because Dragic isn't as good this year as he was last year, and even though Brooks sucks this year, he was good last year so he must be good. Plus the Suns' picks always suck so why not just trade the pick for a player who sucks now to eliminate the uncertainty. Is that an accurate summary?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Dragic is mediocrity Chris. If the Suns trade Nash after this season, I'd be a lot more comfortable with Brooks at the point than Dragic. The Brooks this year was just not right, he is a better player than his numbers indicate this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05