Suns get Aaron Brooks

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His stats last year were impressive. Does anyone know what happened this for his minutes and stats to drop?

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
People calm down. U act like we gave up something huge. Fact is Dragic sucked this year and the pick is lottery protected, meaning it will be somewhere near Orlando's pick anyway or we get it. Bottomline, Brooks is a much better option at point than Dragic this year. Our second unit has sucked primarily because Dragic was struggling running the offense. Brooks>Dragic. Wait til his first game action before crying "Oh woe is me, we gave up that stud of a player in Goran Dragic for Brooks the hack". This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Sheesh.

I think it's because we (the fans) invested in a lot of interest and hope that Dragic would be our next starting PG following the Nash era. There was a lot of hype from the scouts, and money invested (remember the extra 2 mill we had to pay to get him here from Europe?) from our FO. He had his magical games (Game 3 Spurs series) and showed some great talent.

This seems like another knee jerk reaction like the Turk trade prior to the season. Gentry probably lost patience in Goran and needed something now or his job would be on the line.

I wonder what Marley feels like now. That guy really pushed and coached him a lot. Seemed like every practice they would be playing 1 on 1.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, let me explain why I am pissed off.

We took on a guy who walked out on his team during a game and is a known troublemaker who wants a FAT extension.

If it was straight up for Dragic, that would be fine. Dragic is younger and a better defender, Brooks may be a better bench spark.

Yet we tossed in the pick.

We basically did Houston a favor AND we tossed in the pick. It just shows the continued complete lack of regard for draft picks since $arver came on board.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's the cool part about it, the draft pick is pretty well protected because we basically have 2 of them thanks to the Magic trade. Dragic for Brooks is a no-brainer IMO, adding the draft pick got to me at first, but we still got a first round draft pick. And we can see which Brooks shows up with out it costing us too much. If he turns his game around here, his value can go up if the Suns want to trade him later.

We could make out like bandits here, all depends on what Brooks considers is his roll here. He could definitely be that bench PG that can give Nash more minutes on the bench, if he ball hogs, bench that ass.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Now if we had gotten Jordan Hill and Aaron Brooks I'd be happy but this sucks.

Aaron Brooks is no player for a good future and we gave up a pick and in Dragic our backup PG of the future probably..

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His stats last year were impressive. Does anyone know what happened this for his minutes and stats to drop?

There is an article posted by desertdawg that sums it up well along with what we are getting.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I really wonder what this looks like in about 4 years. Dragic has a ton of talent, but it hasn't all come together yet with consistancy. He comes off as still very, very young. Not a trouble maker, just young. Well, at some point players like that mature, and then watch out.

My gut prediction is if Goran stays in the NBA, he's starting somewhere in 4 years and doing well, and Brooks is on the bench somewhere doing well. And we're regretting this trade.

Could be wrong, but I doubt it. :)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could make out like bandits here, all depends on what Brooks considers is his roll here. He could definitely be that bench PG that can give Nash more minutes on the bench, if he ball hogs, bench that ass.

You posted the article where he is pissed off about not starting, playing less minutes, and not getting a big extension. So much so he has walked out on his team during the game.

He isn't coming here to start. He is coming here to play 16 minutes a game.

He has always been a ball hog. It is who he is.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can't play defense.
He hogs the ball.
He is tiny.

Kevin Martin likes to shoot as well.

Houston Chron online says today:

Brooks has struggled all season, going out with an ankle injury in the season’s fifth game and making just 34.6 percent of his shots in 34 games. He balked about his diminished role and walked out in the fourth quarter of a game, earning a one-game suspension, but said he was happy to back up Steve Nash in Phoenix.

“I’ll wait in line,” Brooks said. “That dude is a legend, MVP and a Hall of Famer. I’m ready to go be behind him and learn from him, just come in and help team. It offers me a fresh start. I’m ready to go.”

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am neither enamored of nor embittered by this deal. Dragic has been a huge disappointment this season but I keep expecting him to come around every time he steps on the court. Brooks is tough to guard but he's never struck me as a smart player. Our style of play/coaching probably fits him better but it's not like he's been playing for a Van Gundy or anything.

I think the most likely outcome is this helps us a little bit this year but probably has little long term impact on the team. I can't see us re-signing the guy but Dragic didn't really look like a long term investment either. So essentially we give up our pick in order to mildly increase our chances of making the playoffs this season. I think the potential of that pick is worth more than what little it does for us this season but the difference is minimal.

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You posted the article where he is pissed off about not starting, playing less minutes, and not getting a big extension. So much so he has walked out on his team during the game.

He isn't coming here to start. He is coming here to play 16 minutes a game.

He has always been a ball hog. It is who he is.
Yamon, we can bench him quick-like and just role with ZD if Brooks acts like a assclown here. ;)

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I hope he does well! If he does improve, his trade value goes up and teams might give us better picks so he can go to their team and start.

Go Suns!!

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, this article here has a good run down on the situation in Houston that led to the trade.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7415579.html

Sounds like he was very dissatisfied with his drop in minutes, too many guards battling for the minutes. He got suspended for heading to the locker room after Adelman took him out of the 4th Quarter of a game earlier this month.

Frankly, I like having a player with a chip on his shoulder who has something to prove. But you only hope he doesn't turn into a problem child.

I think Dragic showed us this year that he is not the Suns' future. So I am ok with this trade. If Brooks gets back to his explosive self, we may all be saying what a great move this turned out to be.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Should've traded Dragic to the Knicks for Toney Douglas. That would've had the same garbage impact on the Suns, but it would be cooler to see Dragic on the Knicks than the Rockets.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Dragic showed us this year that he is not the Suns' future. So I am ok with this trade. If Brooks gets back to his explosive self, we may all be saying what a great move this turned out to be.

If Brooks averages 19 ppg for the Suns, the Suns are in trouble.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Sigh. This kind of talk reminds me how screwed this team is when Nash leaves (however that happens).

We need to find our Aaron Rodgers, and fast.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sigh. This kind of talk reminds me how screwed this team is when Nash leaves (however that happens).

We need to find our Aaron Rodgers, and fast.
We've been screwed since Amare left but who's counting? :D Funniest part is we have a center now! :p

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am willing to let this one play out... I am surprised at how many people are trashing this trade already...

Playing PG in a Rick Aldeman system is tricky running the princeton offense is very different than an open offense like the Suns... lets see how he does in an up and down tempo...

Add that to the fact that he is as fast as any PG in the league he could be jut the thing we need from the bench..

Did anyone catch Nash's comments about the bench last night?!?
not a surprising move after that...

I am not saying this will be a homerun, but I have a gut feeling it will be the kind of spark and addition we need...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05