JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah our draft picks always suck....like:

Rajon Rondo
Andre Igodala
Marcin Gortat
Sergio Fernandez

We draft great players all the time and just give them away. Clark is doing a lot better in Miami.

Dragic is 3 years younger, or roughly 25% of someone's playing career.

At some point you need young players for the future. This @#!*% shell game of mediocrity is crazy.

We did not draft those players. Other teams drafted them with our picks.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Gorin is not a point guard....This is all about trading Nash in the off season. We have found our replacement hopefully.

Is there enough time to trade Nash now.....?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say that every year. Every year there are good players at the end of the draft and into the second round that become productive NBA players.

Chris, that is usually 1 out of every 10 players chose in that range that go around there. Look at many of those picks around that range. Your chances are very slim despite what past picks the Suns have traded ended up.

Brooks was really good last year.

If your playing the odds, trading a pick that probably won't amount to much (and your assuming the Suns would not have used it on a big man) plus a player in Dragic for Brooks........is a good bet.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic is mediocrity Chris. If the Suns trade Nash after this season, I'd be a lot more comfortable with Brooks at the point than Dragic. The Brooks this year was just not right, he is a better player than his numbers indicate this year.

You do understand that his career numbers are dogshit right? His career season, which is the season you keep talking about, he shot 43%. That is the only year he has gotten to over 42%.

He got to 19 points by shooting the ball incessantly. He played 35 minutes to get to 5.3 assists but his assist to turnover ratio.

He is a crappier Barbosa and we gave up two young players to get him.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand Jagu and Darren's position. It's a good trade because Dragic isn't as good this year as he was last year, and even though Brooks sucks this year, he was good last year so he must be good. Plus the Suns' picks always suck so why not just trade the pick for a player who sucks now to eliminate the uncertainty. Is that an accurate summary?

It's a good trade for the Suns because he will be a more reliable point than Dragic if he plays to his abilities. I like Dragic but I'm not sad in seeing him go because its entirely possible that he has peaked in his game. And I'm not a big fan of late first round picks and its a low chance that these picks will turn out to be anything useful so yes I think ts a good deal. Of course there might be more to the Dragic story than we know. I personally think Brooks is a game changer when he is motivated to play and comin to a team that is on the rise in the West it might help him.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Is anyone ever a good backup to Nash? The standards cannot be compared with other players, especially a 2nd year player. Suns FO lack patience, as evident by this trade.

I like Goran a lot, and really pissed about this trade. Brooks is a punk and never cared for his play on the court either.

It's evident we are getting ready to trade Nash in the off-season now after this trade. But if Brooks is going to be our starting PG I am going to vomit. Total ********!

I am giving this trade a fat F. I can see Brooks playing like ****, and Nash is going to have to play 38 minutes a game then we make it to the playoffs and we peter out. Same old story...

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Instant offense, fast as hell, great shooter. Much more polished than Dragic.

And he's 26.

Love the trade. We don't need 2 first rounders if we can keep a guy like
Brooks for the long run

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brooks was really good last year.

No he was not. He played good if you only look at PPG and not what it took to get there.

He played 35 minutes a game.

He led his team in FG attempts despite shooting 43% from the field.

He averaged below 2 on his assist to turnover ratio.

He averaged under a steal a game despite playing 35 minutes.

The only thing he did well was shoot 39% from three, which is exactly what Dragic shot.

OP
OP
A

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
You do understand that his career numbers are dogshit right? His career season, which is the season you keep talking about, he shot 43%. That is the only year he has gotten to over 42%.

He got to 19 points by shooting the ball incessantly. He played 35 minutes to get to 5.3 assists but his assist to turnover ratio.

He is a crappier Barbosa and we gave up two young players to get him.

The two guys are similar but the big difference is Brooks is a proven commodity. Everyone over-values their own players so deals like this never seem even to the fans but it is a good move by the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gorin is not a point guard....This is all about trading Nash in the off season. We have found our replacement hopefully.

Some haters may cringe, but this may prolong Nash's career if the Suns go this direction. Nash is playing better than Stockton at 37. I believe Stockton played until 40. Goran, for whatever reason, has regressed. He also has never had a breakout season like Brooks did last season.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
From the early look of things, it seems Suns fans are divided. i'll wait and see how he does on the court now. I've always liked Brooks' explosiveness and it might be a good fit in Phoenix. If the trade fails, its ok, we did not give up much. Dragic and a first round pick wont make us more or less of a contender next year.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good trade for the Suns because he will be a more reliable point than Dragic if he plays to his abilities.

You keep saying "to his abilities". I do not think this means what you think it means.

You must be registered for see images attach

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Screw this team giving up our draft pick for a PG who can just score and can't run this offense.

And we still have no low post threat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep saying "to his abilities". I do not think this means what you think it means.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think Brooks abilities (upside) are defined by his play last season.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score

Ugh.

Not a fan of this trade AT ALL, but I have not seen the 'good Brooks' play enough to compare with the 'good Dragic' I guess.

I do know that if Aaron Brooks is the future Suns starting PG, we are in for a long stretch of bad years. During his best season as a starter the Rockets were no world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. The Suns will need a lot more talent at that spot post-Nash to avoid becoming the Clippers.

I also think it's a mistake to give up on Dragic during a down year. I think if he switched to a Ginobili-like role as a scorer off the bench, he could be really good. That great Spurs game last year had him playing basically the off guard in the 4th quarter with LB as the PG.

Brooks and Dragic together? Probably a fine bench backcourt. Otherwise? Meh.

I really wonder if something was going on behind the scenes with Goran. The 'broken glass' thing was just weird, coming in what was a bad season to start for him. Wonder if he told the Suns he was going back to Europe no matter what next year?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The backup PG position was a glaring weakness all season. Bringing in a guy who almost dropped 20/g last year as the backup is a pretty good upgrade.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo says

If we MAKE the playoffs Houston gets OUR pick... if we MISS the playoffs, Houston gets ORLANDO's pick!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Brooks abilities (upside) are defined by his play last season.

So his abilities from last season are poor shooting, leading the team in shots, contributing little defensively and averaging below a 2-1 assist to turn over ratio.

Again I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bulls fan next to me is laughing at me and the Suns. He said:

"Where Amazing Happens: The Suns Front Office"

:mad:

He watches a lot of NBA and wouldn't want Brooks on his team cause he is a ball hog.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People calm down. U act like we gave up something huge. Fact is Dragic sucked this year and the pick is lottery protected, meaning it will be somewhere near Orlando's pick anyway or we get it. Bottomline, Brooks is a much better option at point than Dragic this year. Our second unit has sucked primarily because Dragic was struggling running the offense. Brooks>Dragic. Wait til his first game action before crying "Oh woe is me, we gave up that stud of a player in Goran Dragic for Brooks the hack". This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Sheesh.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
The Bulls fan next to me is laughing at me and the Suns. He said:

"Where Amazing Happens: The Suns Front Office"

:mad:

He watches a lot of NBA and wouldn't want Brooks on his team cause he is a ball hog.

I talked to a co-worker right now (Lakers fan) and said it was a bad trade. He said he really liked Dragic compared with Brooks.

:bang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05