Suns get Aaron Brooks

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
^
I'll co-sign for roughly 90% of the above post.
I cant seem to stay away from the word "clueless" when describing this organization either. It seems to be dead-on-balls-accurate.

Unfortunate.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
So this is why this is an AWFUL trade.

Brooks

FG % 34.6% Career: 41%

3 point percentage:

28.4% Career: 36%

Assists per game:

3.8 Career 3.6

He is a sub par defender and a HORRIFIC shooter.

I wouldn't do Dragic for Brooks straight up, let alone with our pick.

Wow... just wow. I am sooooooooooooo surprised that they traded Dragic. Sure, he's not having a great year so far but neither is everybody else on the team (maybe except for Nash, Gortata and Frye). This dude has shown some great potential in playoffs. WTF????

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'll withhold judgement until I see him play half this season. He'll need to bring his fg % up obviously.

His 36% 3 pt. career % isn't all that bad.

Saw him dismantle the Suns last yr. in a game. When he's going good he's tough. Hopefully this system suites his game even more. It should.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see Brooks doing a good job leading the 2nd unit and I will be interested to see how we finish the year.

However, I do not understand the front office's contempt for non-lottery picks. On KTAR, Gentry was doing a phone interview with Gambo & Ash and he told them that if the suns had not sold the Rudy Fernandez pick to Portland, they would have selected Aaron Brooks there. He said they were very high on him in the draft and they were hoping that he would have dropped to 29, but Houston grabbed him 2 spots before them.

I don't have to go through the picks that this team has sold/traded over the past 5 years but I am surprised that this front office doesn't see the value in adding young, moderately talented players to the roster through the draft.

This is a solid and reoccurring point. The Suns have not valued their picks whereas under JC, they valued their picks except when the Suns had to move Gugliotta to clean up the books in preparation to sell the franchise. If the Suns would invest more in scouting, I think the draft would be an easy and cheap way to get talent. At least now I hope the Suns days of selling their draft picks is over. In the Babby and Blanks interview after the Dragic trade what caught my attention was that Blanks appeared so detached and cold. I can't think of a better way to put it. Babby comes over as an intellectual father figure but Blanks... IMO, he just didn't come over well. I can't help but wonder how the two mesh.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Wow... just wow. I am sooooooooooooo surprised that they traded Dragic. Sure, he's not having a great year so far but neither is everybody else on the team (maybe except for Nash, Gortata and Frye). This dude has shown some great potential in playoffs. WTF????

How long have we been pushing the potential card? Everytime he drives past a few guys for a layup we fall back into the Dragic bandwagon. The fact is that he mightily regressed on a team where the backup PG is an extremely important position. He is 1 year younger than Brooks and Brooks has already dropped 19.6/g as a starter. Granted their are issues with Brooks but the Suns would be a lot better off with a PG who has confidence in Brooks than a PG with zero confidence in Dragic and one who opposing teams have figured out how to guard. I don't think Dragic will all of a sudden be a great player in the NBA, yea how many times has that happened, and there's also a strong chance he'll just leave the NBA for good. As for the draft pick, its lottery protected. And this year's Western Conference is not invincible either. We beat San Antonio in 4 games last year and I think if our second unit can get some consistency, we could be a dangerous team in the playoffs. Aaron Brooks is probably good trade bait, if he doesn't perform we can always trade a young PG for a quality return.

We've been a giant killer as well this year, beating a lot of good teams. I'm not about to give up on this season and I am damn tired of waiting for Dragic's potential. I hope Brooks comes in and looks to be a scorer or at least works off the pick and roll and tries to break down defenses, which he definitely can do.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We have lost a bunch of games because we lose leads at the end of the 3rd quarter, and a major part of that is because Dragic could not or would not run the offense. He was terrible at it.

Sure, we love his scoring bursts, but what other good did he do, really? Especially this season? For those of you that love the stat, he had the worst +/- BY FAR on the team. That tells you something.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand why this organization doesn't place much value in non-lottery picks. I'm not sure I completely agree but there is some logic to it. However, it's one thing to use that pick to try and upgrade your team and it's a completely different idea to use it to get cash. It doesn't bother me much that they included one in a trade for Brooks but if they return to the days of selling them I'm going to have to find another hobby,

Steve

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh. I really don't like this trade. :(

What a great job Sarver and the front office have done with the roster after making the Western Conference finals last season. :rolleyes:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I was shocked at the trading of Dragic as well but this trade does potentially upgrade the efficacy of the the second unit. The reason Nash has people to pass to is because they are worried about Nash scoring. Because Brooks is a threat to score it should help facilitate shots for the other players on the floor. As another poster noted the turnovers are a huge factor as well and probably Dragic's biggest weakness. Brooks is a much better ball handler especially against a press and that means more shots and fewer easy transition baskets for the other team.

I also think that people need to take a step back and not pre-judge this particular front office team (Babby and Blanks) or brand them with the mistakes of the past.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For anyone who will miss Dragic's one good game per month, don't worry, Brooks will probably have at least one good game per month too. Sheesh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For anyone who will miss Dragic's one good game per month, don't worry, Brooks will probably have at least one good game per month too. Sheesh.

A good game from Dragic probably isn't as good as a good game from Brooks. :D

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
As a Spurs fan I must say I'm happy you have Brooks instead of Dragic. Now absolutely no need be worried about the Suns if we would meet in the first round. But since the Suns is my third fav team it is a bit sad.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I just don't understand this love for Dragic, he was great in a few games last year but has been horrible this year period! Our second unit was much better with Dowdell in there, that should tell you something. And the odds of there being an NBA season next year are slim and none and slim is leaving the building so expect Dragic to end up back overseas playing, probably where he belongs to be honest...

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As a Spurs fan I must say I'm happy you have Brooks instead of Dragic. Now absolutely no need be worried about the Suns if we would meet in the first round. But since the Suns is my third fav team it is a bit sad.
Isn't Duncan and his game slowing down? Isn't your starting 3 getting old and crusty? Enjoy it while you can, Spurs aint winning it this year and will only get older. Has beens.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Isn't Duncan and his game slowing down? Isn't your starting 3 getting old and crusty? Enjoy it while you can, Spurs aint winning it this year and will only get older. Has beens.

Yes it sure is sad to be a Spurs fan this season :D

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I heard Ginobili flopped onto Duncan's 50th birthday cake when Raja Bell accidentally bumped him.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Suns have one the best records in the NBA in the last 19 games. And none of those games were won because of Tragic. This move can only help, not hurt the Suns. I'd like to see Brooks blow by Duncan's walker for a layup in their next matchup.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Sure, we love his scoring bursts, but what other good did he do, really? Especially this season? For those of you that love the stat, he had the worst +/- BY FAR on the team. That tells you something.

This!!! The most accurate statement in this thread and the fact that Chaplin referred to plus-minus makes this even sexier... Dragic comes in, NOTHING happens. Whoever said that Dowdell looked better out there is right. That guy looked like he at least belonged in the NBA.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have supported Dragic from the start and have been disappointed in his performance this season. I'll probably be disappointed, too, when we find out what really happened with his foot.

It seems that Dragic's skills simply don't fit into Nash's system, even though he offers the good defense at the PG position that no other PG on the roster has (or will) be able to match this season.

Overall, a trade had to be made. For the Sun's sake. For the sake of keeping Nash's minutes down. And for Goran's sake.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hate level on this trade is astonishing. Dragic was not getting the job done backing up Nash plain and simple. I think what factors into the anger is the Suns past history of selling first round draft picks and using them to move a good player in KT. So when the Suns include a first round pick to get Brooks many fans jump to the assumption the Suns FO are at it again.

This trade is a gray area for me, so I will give the Suns the benefit of the doubt this time. The reason I'm doing this is because Babby made a tremendous trade with Orlando to get the Suns Gortat and a first round pick. I do like the uptempo style of pushing the ball that Brooks brings to the Suns. He has tremendous speed and he is not afraid to use it. I could see no reason why Goran could not have done the same... but he didn't. Despite all the nurturing, and the Suns did plenty, Goran lost his confidence. If Brooks plays well, he will not only preserve Nash but he should give the second unit a huge boost.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Too bad we couldn't have traded that other "once in a blue moon"...good game guy we have starting at Center.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This!!! The most accurate statement in this thread and the fact that Chaplin referred to plus-minus makes this even sexier... Dragic comes in, NOTHING happens. Whoever said that Dowdell looked better out there is right. That guy looked like he at least belonged in the NBA.

I mention +/- because for some people it's the only thing they pay attention to or understand.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad we couldn't have traded that other "once in a blue moon"...good game guy we have starting at Center.

This is interesting because the Suns were obviously shopping Lopez. Maybe he will help the Suns land a quality PF. IMO, someone out there will be interested in a young center that potentially has upside. Too bad the Suns could not have gotten Millsap. Maybe trade talks will resume during the draft.