Suns @ Mavericks Game Thread

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
there are three divisions - someone's gotta win ours.

Elite is a select class - some people may want that net to swing wide, but in reality, it never does. At this point there's two teams - the Spurs and the Mavs - both of which have actually been to the Finals AND as of right now, have the two best records in the league - THAT'S what makes them elite, not to mention the fact that as of right now, they've shown the ability to beat each other and their challengers below them.

again, I measure greatness against greatness at this point of the season - so far, we're 0-fer. Not sure how you measure your team, but that's the way I, and I'd assume anyone else who's competitive and has played sports, measures themselves.

So do we consider the Heat elite due to them WINNING the finals last year? Its difficult to have an intelligent conversation/debate on what teams are or are not elite when the definition keeps changing.

Of course we defeated them so it doesn't count

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
there are three divisions - someone's gotta win ours.

Elite is a select class - some people may want that net to swing wide, but in reality, it never does. At this point there's two teams - the Spurs and the Mavs - both of which have actually been to the Finals AND as of right now, have the two best records in the league - THAT'S what makes them elite, not to mention the fact that as of right now, they've shown the ability to beat each other and their challengers below them.

again, I measure greatness against greatness at this point of the season - so far, we're 0-fer. Not sure how you measure your team, but that's the way I, and I'd assume anyone else who's competitive and has played sports, measures themselves.

Well, I'll just ignore your attempt to be condescending and say that while I agree that Dallas and SA are elite, I can't say that we are not. We definitely disagree there.

The point is, that was a hell of a performance at the end and shouldn't be construed as a game where we proved we can't beat an elite team. That game could have been won by either team.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
According to Sagarin, the top seven teams in the league right now are the Spurs, Mavericks, Suns, Jazz, Rockets, Lakers, and Pistons. The Suns will play about 18 games against those six opponents this regular season (I don't feel like looking up the exact number). So far they are 1-6, having won at home against Houston. They'll have to finish the season very strong to put up a decent mark against other elite teams. What happens in December doesn't have that much influence on what happens in May or June, but it would be nice to start seeing those wins sooner rather than later.

Still, the Suns haven't played in a high-pressure game since ... well, all season, really. You could tell from the fans that Dallas thought this was a big game too. Maybe the Suns will look a little sharper once they get more of these games under their belts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I will be skeptical. I'm a show-me guy. I don't believe in blind-faith.

We won 15 straight games. Regardless of the opponents, only--what--4 or 5 other teams in the HISTORY of the NBA won that many games in a row. The only thing I can discern by your posts is that you probably think we have had the easiest schedule in the history of the league. The Bobcats beat the Spurs--any team can win on a given night, the trick is to win more than you lose, and we HAVE proven that, just like Dallas and San Antonio have.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We won 15 straight games. Regardless of the opponents, only--what--4 or 5 other teams in the HISTORY of the NBA won that many games in a row. The only thing I can discern by your posts is that you probably think we have had the easiest schedule in the history of the league. The Bobcats beat the Spurs--any team can win on a given night, the trick is to win more than you lose, and we HAVE proven that, just like Dallas and San Antonio have.

The trick is to beat your opponent. We can beat the lower tier teams with ease, but seemingly, we don't play with the big boys. 0-6 against the West's finest. That has all the fixings for a Western Conference Semis exit

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The only thing I can discern by your posts is that you probably think we have had the easiest schedule in the history of the league.

Let's be fair. The 15-game winning streak was against one of the easiest schedules in the history of the league. The only two decent teams the Suns played were Orlando and Houston; just a few other games were against teams hovering around .500, and the rest were against dregs. Beating up on lottery teams sure is better than losing to them, but it doesn't mean a hill of beans come playoff time.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

We lost by two on the road....aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Way to look at the big picture :rolleyes:

This coming from a guy who's scared to play Denver?

Dallas has NO chance of beating PHX with a healthy Amare and Nash in the playoffs. Mark it down. PHX hasn't peaked, and is still finding out how deep the bench can go.

If any of you basketball geniuses think Diop and Dampier can stop or even slow down Amare... then you better think again.

The only concern PHX should have right now is keeping the main core healthy and finding a consistent 8-9 man.

The regular season is simply a tune-up for this team. Who cares if PHX ends up playing Dallas or SA on the road? Home court hasn't meant jack in the playoffs for quite some time.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
If the Suns had won this game would we call them elite? Their record would still be poor against those teams.

I'd rather the Suns had won too, but they played real tough on the opponent's home court and had a chance to win at the end. All this came while they played as sloppy as they had in quite some time.

Besides, all these losses to the "elite" teams have been close, which to me says that the teams are neck and neck. If the Spurs and the Mavs have been crushing the Suns I'd look at it different, but the games are close and could go either way. Hopefully in the playoffs, when it really matters, they'll start going the Suns' way.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had won this game would we call them elite? Their record would still be poor against those teams.

I'd rather the Suns had won too, but they played real tough on the opponent's home court and had a chance to win at the end. All this came while they played as sloppy as they had in quite some time.

Besides, all these losses to the "elite" teams have been close, which to me says that the teams are neck and neck. If the Spurs and the Mavs have been crushing the Suns I'd look at it different, but the games are close and could go either way. Hopefully in the playoffs, when it really matters, they'll start going the Suns' way.

This is exactly the way I feel.

Reaction score
Dallas has NO chance of beating PHX with a healthy Amare and Nash in the playoffs. Mark it down. PHX hasn't peaked, and is still finding out how deep the bench can go.

If any of you basketball geniuses think Diop and Dampier can stop or even slow down Amare... then you better think again.

Scoreboard.

Anyway, I will be truly sad when in the playoffs SA beats the crap out of ya'll, and we don't get to meet so we can beat the crap out of ya'll.

(Hoopy lurks in the shadows. Always watching. Always judging.)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good game Hoopy. These teams are about as evenly matched as can be.

We should both be rooting for anyone but the Spurs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good game Hoopy. These teams are about as evenly matched as can be.

We should both be rooting for anyone but the Spurs.

I dont know. I still have this undying hatred for the lakers. Its only amplified because they have a good record

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Anybody else really frustrated with marion this game? I am getting sick of this tortilla garbage. Games in the playoffs and games against good teams and it is shell time. I have honestly just about had it with this crap.

Add me to the definitive "trade marion" bandwagon, regardless of if we can trade him now or not. It is time to develop a god-%#@! midrange game or SOMETHING so you don't go almost 40 minutes with 12 points in key games.

I am worried about this team, everyone talks about either RIGHT now or FAR in the future. Our future clincher last year consisted of a guy named Tim Thomas, and he is gone now because we couldn't afford to pay him a decent contract and spent it on marcus freakin banks.

Hopefully this team gets better as the year goes on, but right now to me it looks like the plan is hoping the atlanta pick ends up 4-10, trading banks and james jones, and either using the draft pick(s) or doing some kind of trade or FA signing to help us get over the hill next year.

Right now we are 0-6 against the "elite" teams and even though some would like to classify us as elite we are then technically 4th in elite teams behind Mavs, Spurs, and Utah. Not good. If we lose the upcoming game against detroit then we are REALLY screwed.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
when does washington play dallas next we need washington to end dallas' winning streak

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anybody else really frustrated with marion this game? I am getting sick of this tortilla garbage. Games in the playoffs and games against good teams and it is shell time.

Marion's performance was about what I expected. Once in a while he comes up big in a crucial game, but usually he goes on a vanishing act. It's because good defensive teams negate his athletic advantage and force the game to be played more on the basis of skill, where he is unexceptional.

Usually he is able to make up for his offensive shortcomings with defense and rebounding, but both of those were missing tonight as well. Defensively, he got lit up by everyone he tried to guard, whether it was Terry, Howard, or Nowitzki. The entire team rebounded poorly, so it isn't fair to single Marion out, but it is fair to say that he didn't help.

One of my fantasy teams this season is, in fact, called the "Trade Marion Bandwagon." Welcome aboard.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05