Suns @ Mavericks Game Thread

mribnik

Reaction score
I'm really not that upset with this loss. The pick n roll with Amare and Nash got much better throughout the game and we should be able to use that against Dallas and SA very well. Nash and Amare were solid tonight. We lost the game on turnovers, especially turnovers in crunch time and on time-out plays. I think this team will grow from this game and play better throughout the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us beat SA in our next meeting coming up.

NativeSun

Reaction score
We gave that game away with unforced turnovers. If we get our endgame in gear, we can win those close games.

We just need to practice final possessions for like three weeks. Get those plays in gear and automatic. Set up the pick and rolls and inside-out passing and we'll be fine.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
This is one of the most ludicrous posts ever.

There is NO doubt that we saw 2 of the best 3 teams in the NBA playing tonight.

Totally agree. Im not big on moral vicotories, but considering how sloppy the team was, the fact they lost by 2 is somewhat encouraging.

There are alot of positives from this game. The 2nd half defense was pretty good for the most part. Amare showed he can still give the mavs headaches, and the rebounding wasnt as bad as it was last season. Not to mention our bench did a really nice job tonight.

mribnik

Reaction score
I think you have to beat someone elite before you can pronounce yourself as such, don't you think?

No, the Suns have been to the Western Conference finals for the last two years and we have a better roster this year IMO. We're elite until we stop advancing through the playoffs.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The team is upper 4 in the West and better than anyone in the east. They are not better than Dallas.

I hope this game is the begining of Nash to Amare pick and roll offense, I think the Suns need to focus on this to put them over the top.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, cheese, we lost by 2 on a crazy shot that only 5 people tops in the world can make. This game was winnable, don't you think?

And again, we had an awful ball handling game with the 22 turnovers in a foul-ridden game. Against the best record in the league and a 7-game winning streak. And yet we lost by 2 on that miracle shot. If anything, I'd say it's pretty impressive that we had a chance to win this game.

we lost because we couldn't keep a 9 point 4th quarter lead just like we did at the beginning of the season and even though it was winnable, WE DIDN'T WIN and we haven't shown the ability to do so against the elite - thus, I'm not sure how you can categorize us as such.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I'm really not that upset with this loss. The pick n roll with Amare and Nash got much better throughout the game and we should be able to use that against Dallas and SA very well. Nash and Amare were solid tonight. We lost the game on turnovers, especially turnovers in crunch time and on time-out plays. I think this team will grow from this game and play better throughout the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us beat SA in our next meeting coming up.

Agreed. This team is playing better but needs improvements in certain areas (namely rebounding, taking care of the ball, and making a damn FT) but they're still one of the best teams in the league

We haven't even reached the All-Star game yet folks. Can we knock it off with the we aren't elite anymore crap?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
No, the Suns have been to the Western Conference finals for the last two years and we have a better roster this year IMO. We're elite until we stop advancing through the playoffs.

True they have a better roster on paper but they also need to find what they are.

I think they tend to have too many similar parts right now and not enough clutch shooters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you're living in the past - THIS team has not shown the ability to beat the elite teams in the league - PERIOD. And until it does, I think it's fool-hardy to rest on our laurels from the last two years, especially considering the amount of turnover from both teams as far as player personell.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
we lost because we couldn't keep a 9 point 4th quarter lead just like we did at the beginning of the season and even though it was winnable, WE DIDN'T WIN and we haven't shown the ability to do so against the elite - thus, I'm not sure how you can categorize us as such.

Here's a question: Name one team that can keep a 9-point lead against the Dallas Mavericks early in the 4th quarter. I don't think there is any team you can say in this league that can do that. That also applies to us as well.

Do you think, if we pulled this out, that Mavs fans would start saying they aren't an elite team because they lost to us? I don't think so.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

If the playoffs started tomorrow, i might agree with you but its still very early in the season.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know... Nash looked like he had enough space to get a decent shot off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a question: Name one team that can keep a 9-point lead against the Dallas Mavericks early in the 4th quarter. I don't think there is any team you can say in this league that can do that. That also applies to us as well.

Do you think, if we pulled this out, that Mavs fans would start saying they aren't an elite team because they lost to us? I don't think so.

are the Mavs 0-6 against the top five teams in the West? No - are we? Yes. There's a difference. One game doesn't mean a thing - 5 games and you can start to wonder - or at least back off an admit that while this team may yet be an elite team, they ain't there yet.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I don't know... Nash looked like he had enough space to get a decent shot off.

Well Bell was clearly pressing, he was making a lot of mistakes and he isn't a good shooter since his dislocation.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if he just missed him and made a bad decision.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

HEres an answer: No. Mavs are the defending Western Conference champs and are playing like such. They have nothing to be wary of. We have played them twice this season, once when both of us were struggling and once when both of us were hitting on all cylinders. Both outcomes: Mavs victories. Face it: they have our number

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the playoffs started tomorrow, i might agree with you but its still very early in the season.

and thus early in the season - WE ARE NOT ELITE - no one's talking about the future - just saying that right now, tyo call us elite, when we've gone 0-6 against the top 5 in the West seems pretty ridiculous to me. There's really TWO elite teams - the Mavs and SA and then there's the second tier with us, Utah and probably Detriot. But right now, that 0-6 is pretty damning as far as deciding who is and isn't elite. How else do you measure yourself in this league? Against like teams, right? Well, we haven't beaten a one, so I still fail to see, how at this point, we can be considered at their level.

mribnik

Reaction score
you're living in the past - THIS team has not shown the ability to beat the elite teams in the league - PERIOD. And until it does, I think it's fool-hardy to rest on our laurels from the last two years, especially considering the amount of turnover from both teams as far as player personell.

We've had a ton of turnover from the last few years and that didn't stop us. We have a ton of talent and one of the best records in the league. We've been to the WCF the last two years. We won 15 games in a row. We are an elite team struggling to win close games right now. They'll figure it out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
are the Mavs 0-6 against the top five teams in the West? No - are we? Yes. There's a difference. One game doesn't mean a thing - 5 games and you can start to wonder - or at least back off an admit that while this team may yet be an elite team, they ain't there yet.

The Mavs also have lost to the Clippers and the Warriors, does that mean they aren't elite either?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

I think the suns are 1 great shooter away from being elite. I would like to see themn address this.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Being a tad melodramatic here, aren't we? The Suns lost early due to the large number of personnel changes that took place with the players getting used to each other's tendencies.

If the season ended tomorrow and continued to play like we have lately there would be plenty of cause for concern. The players should be adjusted by the time the playoffs roll around. Last I checked the All-Star game hasn't even been played yet, its a little early to hit the panic button

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. This team is playing better but needs improvements in certain areas (namely rebounding, taking care of the ball, and making a damn FT) but they're still one of the best teams in the league

We haven't even reached the All-Star game yet folks. Can we knock it off with the we aren't elite anymore crap?

okay, Ash, there shall be no more mention of where this team is at this point of thes eason until the All-Star break. Lord Ash has table all discussion!

Good lord - it's a message board - what are we supposed to talk about other than the status of our team for the next couple months?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Mavs also have lost to the Clippers and the Warriors, does that mean they aren't elite either?

Afer being defeated handly in our first matchup against the Mavs on our court, it was our obligation to win and prove that we were either better or on the same plane as the Mavs. We p!ssed that chance away tonight

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
HEres an answer: No. Mavs are the defending Western Conference champs and are playing like such. They have nothing to be wary of. We have played them twice this season, once when both of us were struggling and once when both of us were hitting on all cylinders. Both outcomes: Mavs victories. Face it: they have our number

Nobody is saying we're better than the Mavs. But we are definitely in the same category with them. If we had taken better care of the ball today, this outcome might have been a lot different.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Afer being defeated handly in our first matchup against the Mavs on our court, it was our obligation to win and prove that we were either better or on the same plane as the Mavs. We p!ssed that chance away tonight

They beat us 119-112. Hardly "defeated handily". In fact out of all our losses, that 7 points is the largest point differential.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
Totally agree. Im not big on moral vicotories, but considering how sloppy the team was, the fact they lost by 2 is somewhat encouraging.

There are alot of positives from this game. The 2nd half defense was pretty good for the most part. Amare showed he can still give the mavs headaches, and the rebounding wasnt as bad as it was last season. Not to mention our bench did a really nice job tonight.

Rebounding was that bad. We gave up 15 off reb way too many.

While its encouraging that the game was close despite the poor rebounding and those stupid turnovers, but in the end of the day it was another 4th quarter loss we should have won (leading by 9 seven minutes to go).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05