Suns sign Eric Moreland

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure what to make of this. He is a big so that could help. He played in Detroit last year where he played in 67 games and averaged 12 minutes per and scored 2.1 ppg while grabbing 4.1 rebounds and 0.8 blocks. Not a great move but not a bad move either.

Twitter for source...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Athletic's Suns beat writer, Gina Mizell retweeted that also. I imagine more places will pick it up soon.

Here's a link to Moreland's stats. Seems like another high energy backup big like Holmes based on his stats, which could be a good thing.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moreler01.html

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know nothing about him, but his high rebound rate suggests that he plays hard, which the Suns need. And maybe this will open up the possibility of playing Ayton and Holmes together.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other sources are picking up on this now. The Suns had 2 weeks to add a 14th player to their roster before they faced a fine from the league office for being under the minimum roster requirements so this really doesn't help show who or where Ariza may be traded, if someone is thinking this is a precursor to that.

Edit - Originally I thought they had 10 but they had 2 weeks to add a 14th player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other sources are picking up on this now. The Suns had 2 weeks to add a 14th player to their roster before they faced a fine from the league office for being under the minimum roster requirements so this really doesn't help show who or where Ariza may be traded, if someone is thinking this is a precursor to that.

Edit - Originally I thought they had 10 but they had 2 weeks to add a 14th player.

Didn't they sign evans the PG to a 2 way deal last week to meet this requirement?

I think this is just an effort find someone who can play some PF minutes instead of Anderson or Bender.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't they sign evans the PG to a 2 way deal last week to meet this requirement?

I think this is just an effort find someone who can play some PF minutes instead of Anderson or Bender.

Two way deals are viewed separately. They have 2 Two-Way contracts to use or not use as they see fit but a team is not required to use either. With regular roster slots they have 15 available and must have 14 filled, with some wiggle room for when trades are made so they can sign someone to fill an empty spot they may be left with.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am wondering if Bender is going to be included in a trade. Figure after the 15th this team will be much different.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know nothing about him, but his high rebound rate suggests that he plays hard, which the Suns need. And maybe this will open up the possibility of playing Ayton and Holmes together.
Yes. And possibly even Moreland and either Ayton or Holmes together.

A 3-way rotation at C/PF, with Ayton being the primary minutes guy. And not having to play Warren out of position at PF.

And each having to worry less about fouls. And give Ayton a break from having to do it all at Center.

If Igor would prepare for it and give it a chance for more than one game.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see him as a permanent roster addition with a fully guaranteed contract. I'm not sure what the Suns are thinking. Maybe he is a temporary roster addition that can be waived later on.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like an energy guy in a pf/c role. He will definitely be someone to push Ayton a little in practice. He rebounds and blocks shot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Looks like an energy guy in a pf/c role. He will definitely be someone to push Ayton a little in practice. He rebounds and blocks shot.

Not quite the athlete that Holmes is, but seems pretty heady. Might stick for a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are moving quick.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Moreland is listed at 6'10" - 238. That, and his highlights, seem to say he can add much needed strength in the post.

I hope Igor will be objective in his use of this roster and design his system and playing time to fit their skills.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Read earlier he was on the G League All Star team.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
As stated earlier, this provides a 3rd legit big to add to to Ayton/Holmes at the 4/5. Anderson/Ariza/Bender/Jackson/Warren are all useless at the 4. He's another defensive, rebounding big that Ayton needs next to him. I like the deal.

Can't wait to see who gets traded put and the new blood coming in this weekend.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He looks more like a PF to me, needs to ad some muscle if he's going to play center.

There's a video with him and Andrew Bynum working out. Bynum looked great.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Not a ton of stats on him (900 total minutes) but they certainly suggest that he plays hard and doesn't do much stupid stuff - like shoot outside his range or throw the ball away. He has a asst/TO ratio of 1.9 which is excellent for a big. 2.3 blocks per 36 indicates good rim protection. Couple that with 12.4 reb/36 and it shows high energy. Overall, he's much like Holmes statistically although his FT pctage is very, very poor and he scores much less. Still he brings a lot of what we need so I applaud the signing. Worst case he gives us six more fouls protecting the paint.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they might have tried to find a guy like holmes for interchangability. He might have a little better ball handling than holmes that I can see from limited games/footage.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they might have tried to find a guy like holmes for interchangability. He might have a little better ball handling than holmes that I can see from limited games/footage.
He is a really good passer for his size. Passing, rebounding, hustle, rim protection. We need all of that--not that he will do that much from the bench, but the signing at least shows some self-awareness.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns roster drops to 13 players. Maybe a trade is in the works, however, it may be more about saving money.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Granted it was only 5 minutes but he did not look good. But he never even got to practice with the team, so it seems a little strange they cut him with so little to evaluate him on, unless it is about the money - or there is another roster move coming.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy