Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
when i heard about joe johnson wanting to go to the hawks i was pissed. but then i read a ton of posts and articles saying that this was all an act so he could just end up getting his contract. and i even read a post that said they saw johnson at a party and he knew he was going to be a sun.

my question is...how do we know the suns orginzation isnt trying to scare JJ into not even signing the freaking offer sheet? im not saying this is what is what is happening for sure..but u never know right?

but if it is true, then this is rediculous. 2 draft picks which are lottery protected, which means they are freaking useless. the trade exception is good and diaw would be a good fit on this team. but that is not equal value...that is just rediculous.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
We better hope Sarver doesn't low ball Amare also. I would like to see how YUMA spins that one next year. (Although I do admire the somewhat glass is half full approach).

I am personally not too thrilled about this deal, I can't imagine season ticket holders being too pumped about Boris Diaw.

At the pace Sarver is going by this time next year 4th or 5th in the west maybe looking pretty appealing.

If Sarver lowballs Amare, I'm thinking of driving to Phoenix to spit at the A$$ himself, then burn my Suns stuff in front of him courtside! :D

He would HAVE to be an idiot to low ball Amare! :stupid:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
We better hope Sarver doesn't low ball Amare also. I would like to see how YUMA spins that one next year. (Although I do admire the somewhat glass is half full approach).

I am personally not too thrilled about this deal, I can't imagine season ticket holders being too pumped about Boris Diaw.

At the pace Sarver is going by this time next year 4th or 5th in the west maybe looking pretty appealing.

Treesquid, I admit I am abit of an optimist about the Suns.

However, I knew the Suns could not have their cake and eat it too.

I just keep hoping Amare is happy and Steve Nash remains healthy. Then add Marion in the mix... not a bad nucleus for any team.

The Suns needed depth in a bad way and they just did not have the ability to go get any more.

I would not be surprised if the Suns do not use some of these picks to assist in getting another FC and a PG. I know they also have the trade exception.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
PakistaniRambo said:
but if it is true, then this is rediculous. 2 draft picks which are lottery protected, which means they are freaking useless. the trade exception is good and diaw would be a good fit on this team. but that is not equal value...that is just rediculous.

Well, since it's the Eastern Conference, we can always hope JJ gets them into that eighth and final playoff spot! :D I mean :help:

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
sigh...this is bad. if you look on the brightside, we are going to be a deep team in exchange for JJ. Is that worth it? i dont think so. he's going to be an all star. oh well.. i'll have fun booing the crap out of him when he comes to play in phoenix, and i hope all of you will join me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

I just keep hoping Amare is happy and Steve Nash remains healthy. Then add Marion in the mix... not a bad nucleus for any team.

The Suns needed depth in a bad way and they just did not have the ability to go get any more.

I would not be surprised if the Suns do not use some of these picks to assist in getting another FC and a PG. I know they also have the trade exception.
Quit reading my mind!!! :notworthy

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
PakistaniRambo said:
sigh...this is bad. if you look on the brightside, we are going to be a deep team in exchange for JJ. Is that worth it? i dont think so. he's going to be an all star. oh well.. i'll have fun booing the crap out of him when he comes to play in phoenix, and i hope all of you will join me.
I sincerly hope the Hawks make the playoffs next year, if we have their pick for next year, if not, then I hope they only win like ten games all year! :thumbup: I'll boo him with you, though! ;)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to a championship run. Things like this help me put basketball in perspective. It's just a game. I'll will always be a Suns fan, but I don't need them to win a championship for my life to be complete.

Some may label Sarver a cheapskate, but I will call him a good business man. JJ is not worth that money even though I really like him. The NBA has a salary cap rule. Sarver is chosing to follow it. Sarver doesn't want an employee working for him who doesn't want to work for him. There is no reason a team can't compete for a title and stay with-in the boundaries of the salary cap. The Spurs and the Pistons were both somehow able to accomplish that.

What has blowing out team salary done for Portland, New York, and Dallas?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Folster said:
I was really looking forward to a championship run. Things like this help me put basketball in perspective. It's just a game. I'll will always be a Suns fan, but I don't need them to win a championship for my life to be complete.

Some may label Sarver a cheapskate, but I will call him a good business man. JJ is not worth that money even though I really like him. The NBA has a salary cap rule. Sarver is chosing to follow it. Sarver doesn't want an employee working for him who doesn't want to work for him. There is no reason a team can't compete for a title and stay with-in the boundaries of the salary cap. The Spurs and the Pistons were both somehow able to accomplish that.

What has blowing out team salary done for Portland, New York, and Dallas?

I agree. I think what it came down to, is JJ telling Sarver face to face not to keep him in Phoenix. I could see where Sarver would think, "OK punk, you don't want MY $70 million. Fine!"

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hey Mainstreet, If trying to keep JJ only ended up having the effect of the Suns jettisoning Jake V., then I guess I will forever be indebted to JJ. :D

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
unless the suns do something incredible with the assets they just got...the suns have no chance at winning the championship. i still think we can get back to the WCF...we basically beat dallas without JJ anyway. but there is no way we can beat the Spurs...so dissapointing.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Hey man I don't disagree with you, but the expectations of a team with the big 4 and the big 3 should be drastically differnt. It's not a bad nucleus but it's not a champoinship one either. This is not a title contending team like it would have been with JJ.

As for depth, you only need to be 8 deep and the Suns were getting really close to that with Bell and who knows if Barbosa actually grew a pair maybe the Suns are 8 deep in 06. Teams like Memphis that play 11 guys always seem to fail in the playoffs.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
unless the suns do something incredible with the assets they just got...the suns have no chance at winning the championship. i still think we can get back to the WCF...we basically beat dallas without JJ anyway. but there is no way we can beat the Spurs...so dissapointing.

Yeah I agree with that, maybe if Amare does reach his goal of being the defensive player of the year in 06 and still score 25+ (basically being the best player in the NBA) they can go all the way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid, how many teams really have a big four? I suspect not many if any.

The bottom line, IMO, I think the Suns management and ownership just got tired of hearing JJ whine. So did I.

I like JJ but I really don't think he is more than a high priced role player... I know I may very well be wrong.

Let JJ live in the real world (Atlanta) for awhile where he actually has to produce for a living without getting spoon fed from Steve Nash and having an impact player like Amare on the inside.

What makes me think of Kobe? And I know JJ is not as good as Kobe.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Hey man I don't disagree with you, but the expectations of a team with the big 4 and the big 3 should be drastically differnt. It's not a bad nucleus but it's not a champoinship one either. This is not a title contending team like it would have been with JJ.

As for depth, you only need to be 8 deep and the Suns were getting really close to that with Bell and who knows if Barbosa actually grew a pair maybe the Suns are 8 deep in 06. Teams like Memphis that play 11 guys always seem to fail in the playoffs.

Not disagreeing with you, except I think SA beat us on depth. The guys they pulled off their bench just KILLED us! Plus we NEED more defensive guys on the squad. That really showed when we got leads, but easily blew them in the playoffs. I think we still NEED another DECENT big guy. Maybe more than a Finley. Our bench was non-existent last year. We did great because our guys played LONG minutes.

I do agree with 99% of what you said, even if I think SA is the exception with us. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Treesquid, how many teams really have a big four? I suspect not many if any.

The bottom line, IMO, I think the Suns management and ownership just got tired of hearing JJ whine. So did I.

I like JJ but I really don't think he is more than a high priced role player... I know I may very well be wrong.

Let JJ live in the real world (Atlanta) for awhile where he actually has to produce for a living without getting spoon fed from Steve Nash and having an impact player like Amare on the inside.

What makes me think of Kobe? And I know JJ is not as good as Kobe.
Really, if JJ didn't want to play with us anymore, the best thing that could happen for us is for him to go to an Eastern Conference team, worst team in the NBA, where he HAS to be the savior. At least he didn't go to a team like the Pistons, Heat, LA Lakers, etc. ;)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
We needed more defense with all things being equal. Now we have a lot less shooting from the outside and a lot less scoring.

My question is if we use the extra space or picks to aquire more defense how where is the gap in offense comming from?

Bell is defensive with some offensive, Dijon, you can't count on a rookie 2nd round pick, Thomas is defensive, how much more D do we need?

I mean talking how the Suns match up with the Spurs is meaningless if you can't get to them anymore. And I don't think losing JJ and Q for Thomas and Boris Daiw is going to fix that gap.

I thought the offense thing was really fun to watch and was pretty effective.

I do not think being a defensive team that finishes in 5th place will be all that fun.

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really think JJ was posturing with all the comments to the media. In the other hand, I think Sarver is really looking desperate to not be forced to pay JJ the max. Once the comments that JJ made hit airwaves, Sarver saw this as a good excuse to Suns fans to Sign and Trade JJ... and conveniently not pay the max.

JJ in the other hand, he is probably shaken a bit, since he is expecting the suns to match and continue playing with him. Now with him playing on a bad team is very very likely. Another reason for this leaked news would be to scare JJ straight and sign an offer the suns prefer. Maybe a 70 million 6 year contract or the 60 million for 6 year contract. Because we all know, if it wasnt for the overpricing of players like Redd and Hughes, 60 Million for 6 was very fair for JJ.

Anyways, egos finalize this situation, JJ will say "fine" and work his ass off as a hawk. Suns in the other hand will go on trying to win the championship. But Now, I think this increases the chances of the Suns acquiring Finley.

Now its up to Cuban to suck i up and help the suns or trade Finley (why would someone trade for him if they know 80% chance he's going to be waived and can be signed for the minimum anyways). So when Cuban does realize saving 50 million is pretty darn good, Finley will be waived and either be courted by Nuggets or Suns... But I think the Suns has the slight advantage at that.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
I just read the comment about needing to get better defensively this season, and losing some offense in these moves. We definitely lost offense, but you have to also consider the additions on defense in Bell, KT and Diaw if the deal goes through. Bell is also a solid offensive player, and KT gives us a nice mid range shooter we lacked. Diaw is supposed to be very solid ball handling even though he lacks offense.

No one knows if the 1st rounders aren't going to be used for a possible trade bait for immediate help. I just want to let the dust settle a little before I start ranting about Sarver being a screw up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I am glad that little prick is gone. I am not happy with what we got for him though. :-(

SirStefan32, You certainly have a way of cutting to the core of the issue. :)

I'm just glad the Suns did not let JJ walk for nothing. That would have really upset me.

We'll see what we got for JJ in October or thereabouts.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I really think JJ was posturing with all the comments to the media. In the other hand, I think Sarver is really looking desperate to not be forced to pay JJ the max. Once the comments that JJ made hit airwaves, Sarver saw this as a good excuse to Suns fans to Sign and Trade JJ... and conveniently not pay the max.

JJ in the other hand, he is probably shaken a bit, since he is expecting the suns to match and continue playing with him. Now with him playing on a bad team is very very likely. Another reason for this leaked news would be to scare JJ straight and sign an offer the suns prefer. Maybe a 70 million 6 year contract or the 60 million for 6 year contract. Because we all know, if it wasnt for the overpricing of players like Redd and Hughes, 60 Million for 6 was very fair for JJ.

Anyways, egos finalize this situation, JJ will say "fine" and work his ass off as a hawk. Suns in the other hand will go on trying to win the championship. But Now, I think this increases the chances of the Suns acquiring Finley.

Now its up to Cuban to suck i up and help the suns or trade Finley (why would someone trade for him if they know 80% chance he's going to be waived and can be signed for the minimum anyways). So when Cuban does realize saving 50 million is pretty darn good, Finley will be waived and either be courted by Nuggets or Suns... But I think the Suns has the slight advantage at that.

See I guess this is where I differ from the optimistic branch. I don't think you can lose 2 starters and assume that the Suns will be a team in the running for a champoinship. The Suns went from 29 to 62 in 1 year, so there is a fine line between contender and lottery team, I am not saying the SUns will suck by any means but I don't think it unrealistic to argue the Suns will take a drop off by losing two starters, and replacing them with players from bad teams like the Knicks and Hawks.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
SirStefan32, You certainly have a way of cutting to the core of the issue. :)

I'm just glad the Suns did not let JJ walk for nothing. That would have really upset me.

We'll see what we got for JJ in October or thereabouts.

Anyone think there could be a chance those picks will eventually be spun off?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I just read the comment about needing to get better defensively this season, and losing some offense in these moves. We definitely lost offense, but you have to also consider the additions on defense in Bell, KT and Diaw if the deal goes through. Bell is also a solid offensive player, and KT gives us a nice mid range shooter we lacked. Diaw is supposed to be very solid ball handling even though he lacks offense.

No one knows if the 1st rounders aren't going to be used for a possible trade bait for immediate help. I just want to let the dust settle a little before I start ranting about Sarver being a screw up.

Fair enough I am all for letting the talk happen on the court. In the same spirit let's let this dust settle before we start talking rematch with the Spurs too.