Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ESPN is the only news service reporting this. Granted, there probably is truth to it, but we'll probably have to wait until Tuesday before anything is confirmed or not confirmed.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just went to Realgm.com and they have two stories on their new board.

Suns working on sign and trade for Johnson

then

Johnson hopes Suns match

Maybe this trade noise is to fire a shot over Johnsons bow to make him cave.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
still no one has answered my question . . . were the firsts lotto protected in the martin to denver s & t?

They were DEN's and PHI's 1st (mid 1st rounders) plus LAC's which was lottery protected last year and unprotected this year.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
ESPN is the only news service reporting this. Granted, there probably is truth to it, but we'll probably have to wait until Tuesday before anything is confirmed or not confirmed.

Tuesday?? Damn, that will be an eterenity to wait on this kind of thing..........hopefully someone comes up with a story that this is not going to happen.........anybody listen to radio in PHX.? I am out of town....no news in Monterey CA. about the suns!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
There is no way the suns should take Diaw and two protected picks for JJ. They should ask for a H...... of a lot more or just tell Atlanta they are going to keep him. The picks should not be protected. I still think JJ can be an all star and the suns are trading him for virtually nothing!

Hell even proteted picks are not very good, think of the first few picks this year, no one would trade JJ for any of them or any two of them! SAD!

-

Let's pull a New York on them and make Atlanta remove the lottery protection. It seemed to work for Isiah. :)

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
Per Espn: Yet sources close to the situation also insit that Johnson is most unhappy with what he preceives as his standing as a "fourth wheel" behind Stoudemire, Marion and especially Nash

Why especially Nash?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
still no one has answered my question . . . were the firsts lotto protected in the martin to denver s & t?

Here is the details

The breakdown of the future picks acquired by the Nets includes: Clippers 2005, protected 1-14 or 2006, unprotected: Philadelphia 2005, protected 1-8 or 2006, protected 1-5 or 2007, unprotected: Denver 2006, protected 1-5, 2007, protected 1-2, 2008, unprotected.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
They were DEN's and PHI's 1st (mid 1st rounders) plus LAC's which was lottery protected last year and unprotected this year.

so only one was protected and it was only protected for one year? i'll be ashamed of the suns' negotiation skills if they get picks that are protected more than those in the martin deal.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so only one was protected and it was only protected for one year? i'll be ashamed of the suns' negotiation skills if they get picks that are protected more than those in the martin deal.

Look above, they were all protected. Just not extremely heavy.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sundance said:
Why especially Nash?

It is obvious now JJ really idolized Marbury style of play, you get to have the ball in the hands for 20 seconds of the shot clock. That is why he doesn't like Nash, he gets too many assists a game, makes Marbs look bad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Here is the details

The breakdown of the future picks acquired by the Nets includes: Clippers 2005, protected 1-14 or 2006, unprotected: Philadelphia 2005, protected 1-8 or 2006, protected 1-5 or 2007, unprotected: Denver 2006, protected 1-5, 2007, protected 1-2, 2008, unprotected.

thanks. if ours are protected more than those i'm more pissed than i am right now. and i'm plenty pissed. i'm going to call my contact w/ the suns and give him an earful. he's gonna hate me. particularly b/c he prolly agrees with me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I guess I'm in the minority right now, but if JJ does not want to be Sun I'm glad he's out of here.

I don't want to say I told you so, but I predicted last year a sign and trade would be forthcoming with JJ this year when the Suns did not extend his contract. Just simple math.

However, I would never release him without compensation. I think if the Suns get adequate compensation, and I hope they are, Diaw, two number ones, and a trade exception sounds great to me.

My only concern, which I hope the Suns have already addressed verbally, is extending Amare and making sure he is on board. This is the critical issue, IMO.

What the Suns downfall last year was a lack of depth. Now hopefully we can acquire it.

Most teams have only two core players anyway and the Suns have three: Nash, Amare and Marion.

Only if JJ turns into a Magic Johnson will I be sorry.

Man, you said my feelings. It was well chronicled on this board that we were going to have serious cap issues down the road by matching JJ. I think the Suns did as well as they could with everything you mentioned Mainstreet! My whole thing is extend Amare, and JJ is a second concern. Amare is a force. JJ can be replaced. You can't replace an Amare! :thumbup:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Yuma said:
Man, you said my feelings. It was well chronicled on this board that we were going to have serious cap issues down the road by matching JJ. I think the Suns did as well as they could with everything you mentioned Mainstreet! My whole thing is extend Amare, and JJ is a second concern. Amare is a force. JJ can be replaced. You can't replace an Amare! :thumbup:

I can not believe that Mainstreet and Yuma think that JJ is only worth Diaw and two protected picks....

I am going to have to go lay down for a few minutes afer reading that one!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
So we lose a #10 draft pick for a #21 and 2 protected firsts. Sounds even to me. :rolleyes:

I think that's a poor way to look at it...just because a guy was drafted somewhere doesn't mean that's his value.

That said, I'm not a fan of this trade.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
all we have is 2 firsts (that won't even be available until amare is like 28, but that doesn't matter since they suck anyways as mid-first-rounders) and a trade exception (for a year, and can't be combined with any other exception).

this is called getting reamed all around. sarver just tossed billy knight's salad.

i don't care how bad jj wants to leave, you don't let him go for that. that's just horrible, ESPECIALLY considering TODAY'S coro article in the republic and how JJ himself said he'd be fine if the suns matched.

if the point is to win a title, this trade is inane nonsense. if the point is to be competitive, marketable (cause of amare), and profitable, it works. however, that just makes me sad.

suns are now this combination of the cubs and red sox. cursed in some respects, just plain cheap in others, but either way, we only have a chance to win once a century. hopefully we're the red sox and not the cubs in that regard.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Now we have two 1st's to piss away to some team next year so they'll take Shawn Marion and his contract. Then we'll only have one max contract, and Sarver will breath so much easier.

In all seriousness, nobody should be happy about draft picks based on the Suns recent history. They have:

1. Traded 2 firsts to avoid the luxury tax. (Googs deal)
2. Traded a first to lose Jahidi White's contract.
3. Gave away their 2003 first (Zarko) after one year.
4. Traded their 2004 lottery pick to gain cap space, then admitted ONE day later they may have made a mistake because of who was still on the board (Iggy).
5. Traded their 1st that they got in the Chicago deal in the KT trade because they got suckered by, of all people, Isiah Thomas.

Since 1997, the Suns have drafted 2 players, (that's right, only TWO), that have been solid NBA players (Amare and Marion). I'm sorry, but I see nothing good out of this trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
My whole thing is extend Amare, and JJ is a second concern. Amare is a force. JJ can be replaced. You can't replace an Amare! :thumbup:

Exactly. If Amare is alright with it, so am I.

I just didn't want to lose JJ without compensation.

What JJ did is make the Suns' decision to keep either him or Marion much easier. Now, I'm sure glad the Suns kept Marion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I can not believe that Mainstreet and Yuma think that JJ is only worth Diaw and two protected picks....

I am going to have to go lay down for a few minutes afer reading that one!
Think about it. How were we ever going to field a team with all those big salaries? If we KEEP JJ, then Nash, Amare, or Marion will HAVE to be traded in a year? No the talent isn't equal, but the salary Atlanta wants to sign JJ to is too steep for us. It becomes a choice of keeping JJ, or extending Amare. JJ or Amare. Hmmm. I don't have to lay down to figure THAT out. :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
green machine said:
I think that's a poor way to look at it...just because a guy was drafted somewhere doesn't mean that's his value.

That said, I'm not a fan of this trade.

I guess I should have said the #10 pick who plays like a top 5 pick for a #21 that plays like a late first-rounder...

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I guess I should have said the #10 pick who plays like a top 5 pick for a #21 that plays like a late first-rounder...

Nah, that wouldn't do it for me either. I dont' think where the player was drafted really matters in this case. Only production.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Exactly. If Amare is alright with it, so am I.

I just didn't want to lose JJ without compensation.

What JJ did is make the Suns' decision to keep either him or Marion much easier. Now, I'm sure glad the Suns kept Marion.

LOL

Since when is Amare all right with it?