Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
green machine said:
Nah, that wouldn't do it for me either. I dont' think where the player was drafted really matters in this case. Only production.

Jeezus, it was just a generalization.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Exactly. If Amare is alright with it, so am I.

I just didn't want to lose JJ without compensation.

What JJ did is make the Suns' decision to keep either him or Marion much easier. Now, I'm sure glad the Suns kept Marion.
Agreed, JJ made this easy for the Suns. Going public, he gave our guys a chance to back out because JJ didn't want to play here.

Actually, after looking at Atlanta's lineup, Boris Diaw is about the only guy I would take from their roster in a trade. The rest are journeymen, or too old, or FAs. :mad:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
Actually, after looking at Atlanta's lineup, Boris Diaw is about the only guy I would take from their roster in a trade. The rest are journeymen, or too old, or FAs. :mad:

I don't like Josh smith, but he doesn't fit into that.

Neither does Josh Childress....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
LOL

Since when is Amare all right with it?

I didn't say Amare is alright with it. I said if, he is alright with it. That is a very big difference. I wouldn't trade JJ if Amare is not on board with the trade.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I don't like Josh smith, but he doesn't fit into that.

Neither does Josh Childress....
Yeah but we have guys like them. We need a C, which they really don't have, or a backup PG, which they don't really have either. Basically, the other two guys are nice, but with inflated stats playing on a weak team, and us being deep at the positions they play, I really rather have their $5 million exemption.

Actually, how much can ANY Atlanta player help us? :shrug: At least this guy is known for his defense. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
Yeah but we have guys like them. We need a C, which they really don't have, or a backup PG, which they don't really have either. Basically, the other two guys are nice, but with inflated stats playing on a weak team, and us being deep at the positions they play, I really rather have their $5 million exemption.

Well Childress is a SG who would step in for JJ. Diaw is a SF mostly who will be parked behind Marion.

I would have wanted either Childress or Diaw, but I didn't expect them to give up Childress. A sign and trade with Atlanta was going to suck no matter how you put it :shrug:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I didn't say Amare is alright with it. I said if, he is alright with it. That is a very big difference. I wouldn't trade JJ if Amare is not on board with the trade.

Hopefully the Suns wouldn't either. For some reason Amare cancelled playing in the charity game with Nash. :shrug:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Well Childress is a SG who would step in for JJ. Diaw is a SF mostly who will be parked behind Marion.

I would have wanted either Childress or Diaw, but I didn't expect them to give up Childress. A sign and trade with Atlanta was going to suck no matter how you put it :shrug:

I agree, sign and trade with Atlanta was going to suck. That's why I said they've done about as well as they could. The only way I can see this being better is if they could have gotten the picks unprotected. :(

The whole reason to get JJ was to play with Childress, so they wouldn't trade him. Besides, the other JJ probably gets the minutes now anyway with Raja and Dijon. We have two's, still. :)

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
I agree, sign and trade with Atlanta was going to suck. That's why I said they've done about as well as they could. The only way I can see this being better is if they could have gotten the picks unprotected. :(

Yep. The real issue I have is if they weren't committed to matching a max contract for Joe they should have explored some sign and trades in the beginning.

I guarantee that Cleveland would have done a sign and trade for Joe at the max, and we would have been able to get A LOT more out them. Gooden and Jackson for example (notice my recurring theme of who I want for Joe).

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Yeah, the problem with trading with Atlanta is that they are not exactly loaded with proven talent...or any talent, for that matter.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This is bull crap... I'm so pissed and don't know who is at fault JJ or Suns. I guess both to some extent.

We want to win now. This team was being put together to win now. KT was brought here for Q to win now.

We needed JJ to win now. You cannot replace JJ with a rookie even if unprotected NEXT YEAR in June and expect to win next season???

As far as Finley is concerned, even if he is released, and if he wants to come here, and if we want him here... that is a lot of if's... he is not a JJ replacement. Finley is a playoff choke artist. He is not as good a ball handler or a defender as JJ.

Who is going to be our 3 point threat now??? Q and JJ both gone, only reliable threat is JJax and Shawn to some extent. We are getting bunch of defenders at the expense of good shooting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Yep. The real issue I have is if they weren't committed to matching a max contract for Joe they should have explored some sign and trades in the beginning.

I guarantee that Cleveland would have done a sign and trade for Joe at the max, and we would have been able to get A LOT more out them. Gooden and Jackson for example (notice my recurring theme of who I want for Joe).

I only have to assume, after the guys Cleveland have been signing, they aren't as able to trade with us for Joe now. :(

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
az1965 said:
This is bull crap... I'm so pissed and don't know who is at fault JJ or Suns. I guess both to some extent.

We want to win now. This team was being put together to win now. KT was brought here for Q to win now.

We needed JJ to win now. You cannot replace JJ with a rookie even if unprotected NEXT YEAR in June and expect to win next season???

As far as Finley is concerned, even if he is released, and if he wants to come here, and if we want him here... that is a lot of if's... he is not a JJ replacement. Finley is a playoff choke artist. He is not as good a ball handler or a defender as JJ.

Who is going to be our 3 point threat now??? Q and JJ both gone, only reliable threat is JJax and Shawn to some extent. We are getting bunch of defenders at the expense of good shooting.

Don't forget Scott Padgett! :thumbup: (I'm joking....)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
green machine said:
Yeah, the problem with trading with Atlanta is that they are not exactly loaded with proven talent...or any talent, for that matter.

or the prospects of talent.....

for always having lottery picks, they have a very unimpressive roster....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
I only have to assume, after the guys Cleveland have been signing, they aren't as able to trade with us for Joe now. :(

Actually they could right now. I put a trade up a couple days ago that worked. They still have about 5 million in cap space, so if they sent out Jackson and Gooden it would work on both sides.

The only thing is that they would have a lot of money tied into the wings.

Here is the thread:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57161&page=3&pp=15&highlight=cleveland

It is the last post on the third page. Nobody wanted to respond to it :p

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
or the prospects of talent.....

for always having lottery picks, they have a very unimpressive roster....
I remember a lot of draft experts were high on Diaw. The Suns "say" they've liked him.

The only thing I like at all is with Diaw, Raja, KT, and Padgett, we've become a better defensive team overall. Although JJ was about the only guard we had thet could play defense before. :(

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Actually they could right now. I put a trade up a couple days ago that worked. They still have about 5 million in cap space, so if they sent out Jackson and Gooden it would work on both sides.

The only thing is that they would have a lot of money tied into the wings.

Here is the thread:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57161&page=3&pp=15&highlight=cleveland

It is the last post on the third page. Nobody wanted to respond to it :p
That's assuming Cleveland would do it. I would HOPE BC did due diligence and at least called around before deciding this was as good as he could do! :(

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
That's assuming Cleveland would do it. I would HOPE BC did due diligence and at least called around before deciding this was as good as he could do! :(

Hopefully, it might have also been to late to where Joe wouldn't reneg on his deal with Atlanta.

It would be a tough pill to swallow for Cleveland, but that would be a fun team to watch. If they had looked at this right away though, I would have been happier than I am now.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK, the big question now is, how many games we win without Q and JJ? I think KT is an upgrade from Q, so that moves us up. This JJ thing is a staggering blow for us, which moves us down. IF we get a good player with the exception, it could help minimize the JJ hit. :cool:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Yes, thegrahamcrackr, I would like some more tangibles out of this proposed sign and trade. I guess I will trust the Suns to obtain them until proven different.

I would feel differently if JC and BC were not still with the Suns. I think Sarver is listening to them now, or at least that is my hope, after not signing JJ last year to an extension.

However, many on this Board thought this was a prudent move (not to extend JJ's contract) then, but I didn't think it was wise. Now, ironically, many are bashing Sarver over a foreseeable math issue but agreed with Sarver's decision last year not to extend JJ. The fate of losing JJ or Marion was sealed last year, IMO.

Realistically, it would be hard for almost any team to keep near four max players. I didn't want to lose JJ but he pretty much made the decision for the Suns easier. He just expedited the time frame.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
We better hope Sarver doesn't low ball Amare also. I would like to see how YUMA spins that one next year. (Although I do admire the somewhat glass is half full approach).

I am personally not too thrilled about this deal, I can't imagine season ticket holders being too pumped about Boris Diaw.

At the pace Sarver is going by this time next year 4th or 5th in the west maybe looking pretty appealing.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
I am personally not too thrilled about this deal, I can't imagine season ticket holders being too pumped about Boris Diaw..

Heh.. Aint that the damned truth?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I am glad that little prick is gone. I am not happy with what we got for him though. :-(

LOL Stefan and I...

Total opposites in P&R, total agreement as suns fans. :cheers: