Suns trade for Beal

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
These comments by Devin Booker in 2018 sound prophetic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
A lot of people (including posters on ASFN) just dismissed this aspect post-KD trade . . . players, including the best in the game, want to play with Booker. He is a destination. And ishbia’s wallet makes anything possible.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Landale did just fine against Jokic - better than Ayton did actually so while he isn't ideal I think he could be used as a starter.

Book 100% will be our main point guard.

The question is do we get a more traditional PF or a small forward. I think ideally we get a 3 and D small forward, but I don't know how we are going to pull that off.
Personally I’d rather a pf. I’d rather have Durant not have to bang so much and actually be a big team for a change.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new CBA seemed to take away the Suns advantage to spend.

Luckily or knowingly, the Suns appear to have found a loophole while the new rules go into effect.

Beal's ability to control his destination was huge for the Suns to make this trade.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Terrible in g league but 5star guy and 31st pick. So deeply buried potential. Worth an end of bench spot imo.
Indeed. Why not take advantage of getting some project guys who (at least at one time) showed potential and see if you can coach them up. Particularly since you need to fill out the roster with lower cost talent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Was watching the “Tool” on tv and their panel. They seemed to indicate Beal’s agent made the first call to the Suns. That seems to match what they said on the radio about Beal wanting to play with KD and Book. So after Beal knew that he was going to move, the Suns were the first call. He wanted to play here so bad he waived his 15% trade kicker.

They also said the real reason the Wizards couldn’t get any great deals was because of the no trade clause. They are saying it’s poison to many teams with the new CBA. Also, they mentioned the new secondary Apron kicks in, in two years not next season.
Waived his trade kicker to get here. Maybe that ishbia knew what he was doing all along . . . ?

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chris Paul was on a plane to New York on Sunday, to promote his new book, when he heard the news in a text from his 14-year-old son, Chris II: He had been traded.

Paul, a 12-time All-Star, is one of the most accomplished point guards in N.B.A. history. He had recently finished his third season with the Phoenix Suns, a run that included a trip to the N.B.A. finals in 2021. There seemed to be greener pastures ahead after the Suns acquired Kevin Durant in February.

But the Suns preliminarily agreed on Sunday to a trade with the Washington Wizards for guard Bradley Beal, a three-time All-Star who will turn 30 next week. Paul, 38, was included in the deal. At the moment, it is unclear where Paul will play next season.

In an interview with The New York Times, Paul repeatedly said that Mat Ishbia, who recently acquired the team, and Isiah Thomas, the Hall of Fame point guard who is close with Ishbia, “wanted to go in a different direction.” In February, Ishbia told reporters that Thomas did not have a role with the team. Representatives for the Suns and Thomas did not respond to a request for comment.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devin Booker 6' 5" and 206 lbs
Bradley Beal 6' 4" and 205 lbs

I see both Book and Beal as shooting guards but I think both can run point and/or play small forward - meaning our 5th starter could potentially be a smaller more traditional PG that is or isn't already on the team yet

PG ?
SG Beal
SF Booker
PF KD
C ?

But when you look at Denver I don't think that'll work - having Beal being our smallest person on the court just sounds very appealing against the Nuggets. And allows KD to possibly play SF and not have to bang with Gordon. This is where I'd like to see both Book and Beal running point
I may be overreacting, but I think the entire roster should be geared at matching up with Denver - I think they are by far the biggest threat.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I’d rather a pf. I’d rather have Durant not have to bang so much and actually be a big team for a change.
Maybe. Really I think it is going to depend on what guys we can get at the vet min - or what guys are available in an Ayton deal. Truth is Suns don't have much control, they just have to go with whatever is the best available option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Really I think it is going to depend on what guys we can get at the vet min - or what guys are available in an Ayton deal. Truth is Suns don't have much control, they just have to go with whatever is the best available option.

I understand your point but that's what I thought about the Chris Paul situation as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Chris Paul was on a plane to New York on Sunday, to promote his new book, when he heard the news in a text from his 14-year-old son, Chris II: He had been traded.

Paul, a 12-time All-Star, is one of the most accomplished point guards in N.B.A. history. He had recently finished his third season with the Phoenix Suns, a run that included a trip to the N.B.A. finals in 2021. There seemed to be greener pastures ahead after the Suns acquired Kevin Durant in February.

But the Suns preliminarily agreed on Sunday to a trade with the Washington Wizards for guard Bradley Beal, a three-time All-Star who will turn 30 next week. Paul, 38, was included in the deal. At the moment, it is unclear where Paul will play next season.

In an interview with The New York Times, Paul repeatedly said that Mat Ishbia, who recently acquired the team, and Isiah Thomas, the Hall of Fame point guard who is close with Ishbia, “wanted to go in a different direction.” In February, Ishbia told reporters that Thomas did not have a role with the team. Representatives for the Suns and Thomas did not respond to a request for comment.
Ishbia had every chance to 100% shoot down the rumors of Isiah ever being involved at the press conference and he didn’t do it. Our heads are in the sand if we don’t think he has some influence over Ishbia.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul hints Isiah Thomas may been involved in the trade for Bradley Beal.

Actually, it sounds like more than a hint.

@jf-08 already referenced it in post #307.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of people (including posters on ASFN) just dismissed this aspect post-KD trade . . . players, including the best in the game, want to play with Booker. He is a destination. And ishbia’s wallet makes anything possible.
No, the CBA makes his wallet irrelevant after this move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser