Suns trade for Beal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wouldn’t have beaten the Clips with Bridges/Cam on this team. Please stop

The Suns beat the Clippers in the 2021 playoffs with those two players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conjecture it was a trade after the fact, he himself even thought he was being drafted by his hometown team.

And Doncic thought he was drafted by the Hawks...

You must be registered for see images attach

These trades are agreed upon and the players don't know but the teams know exactly what they are doing. The Sixers made the pick for Phoenix.

No doubt the same thing will play out several times tonight.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
lol… I’ve never been one for sentimentality. Especially for a 64 win team losing at home in a game 7 by 50 at one point… to a painfully mediocre Dallas team, no less.
Admittedly I too lost a little "give a sh*t" about this team after that loss. Still paid attention and was rooting for them to win, but wasn't overly mad when they lost again this year.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Nashman. I like a lot of your takes on things , but this argument that we didn't draft Bridges while technically accurate is silly. We traded for the draft pick and told Philly who we wanted there. It doesn't matter whether he knew it or not.

We never know, but I think the better argument for trading these draft picks is that they are likely to be much later in the draft than where any of these players above were taken

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Nashman. I like a lot of your takes on things , but this argument that we didn't draft Bridges while technically accurate is silly. We traded for the draft pick and told Philly who we wanted there. It doesn't matter whether he knew it or not.

We never know, but I think the better argument for trading these draft picks is that they are likely to be much later in the draft than where any of these players above were taken
Agreed. It’s obvious we wanted Bridges in that trade. Saying JJ didn’t “draft” is an argument of semantics and nothing more.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed. It’s obvious we wanted Bridges in that trade. Saying JJ didn’t “draft” is an argument of semantics and nothing more.

Well it was McDonough not JJ at the time, and in McDonough's retelling the tried to trade up but couldn't find any takers. When they asked Philly who they were taking he told them that Bridges was one of the guys they wanted(it is assumed SGA was the other). He let them know that was a player they wanted and it wasn't until Philly saw who was on the board at 17 they agreed to make the trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it was McDonough not JJ at the time, and in McDonough's retelling the tried to trade up but couldn't find any takers. When they asked Philly who they were taking he told them that Bridges was one of the guys they wanted(it is assumed SGA was the other). He let them know that was a player they wanted and it wasn't until Philly saw who was on the board at 17 they agreed to make the trade.
Oh yeah… that was pre-JJ as GM. Good call.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Not entirely. There was a ton of fun basketball that we got to watch. But end of the day, I’m a fan who wants a title and believe that team was capped, especially with CP3’s cliff dive AFTER turning 37.
Haven't seen a drop off like that since Peyton Manning - there one day gone the next

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am getting nervous about this trade. Is Beale as good as we think he is or is he a prima Donna ball hog on a bad team who will just look average when surrounded by real talent?
I was impressed this last season seeing him in person. Dude is real!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Someone cleared it up below… he wasn’t drafted by us or the correct regime regardless…

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone cleared it up below… he wasn’t drafted by us or the correct regime regardless…
I still say that while we may not have drafted him directly any reasonable person would say we picked him in that draft. Anyways, I also didn't realize we were being specific to this current GM.

Personally I feel like trading away all these draft picks sucks because I enjoy all the hype around the draft . When we won't have a draft pick every other year it's not as fun.

Practically though where is this hurts the Phoenix Suns the most is just in limiting their flexibility to make other moves going forward.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still say that while we may not have drafted him directly any reasonable person would say we picked him in that draft. Anyways, I also didn't realize we were being specific to this current GM.

Personally I feel like trading away all these draft picks sucks because I enjoy all the hype around the draft . When we won't have a draft pick every other year it's not as fun.

Practically though where is this hurts the Phoenix Suns the most is just in limiting their flexibility to make other moves going forward.
You have owner willing to spend and good players that can always be traded later for flexibility. Great teams are rarely playing draft picks…

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't think we were either but even so, I'm not sure it wasn't JJ's call. Maybe I'm jumbling things up but I thought McD claimed he tried to trade the pick for SGA and Sarver overruled him and that there was speculation that JJ was the one pushing for Mikal. Whether true or not, we don't know, but Mikal was likely a key part of the process given that he takes McD's job just a few months later.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will have a first round draft pick every other draft beginning in 2024.

What they might consider, is trading down for multiple second round picks in these drafts, using the pick or trading their pick for a veteran player during the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have owner willing to spend and good players that can always be traded later for flexibility. Great teams are rarely playing draft picks…
An owner willing and able to spend is going to be great for us but I still believe we're due for some really bad years not too far down the road. Hopefully though Beal will still be a star level player long enough to minimize those bad years.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An owner willing and able to spend is going to be great for us but I still believe we're due for some really bad years not too far down the road. Hopefully Beal will still be a star level player long enough to minimize those bad years.
Not so sure when those big deals end then we can always spend and bring in replacements even at higher salaries. KDs deal ends ‘26 and you could straight up sign Bridges in FA if wanted I mean lots of ways to build a team if you have money and cap room never know. What I know is we have an owner swinging now for a championship unlike I have ever seen in PHX which is exciting to me!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
If we win, it is all worth it. If not, we are back to being the longest running NBA team without a championship.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Its all semantics
Speaking of semantics...... Since this is the Wizards we are talking about, we may only be conveying one of those 1st round swaps. If any.

The 2nd's suck but...... It's Brad effing Beal and he was worth it.

As far as the money..... I recommend we all remember that it wasn't our money in the first place. If Ishbia is down...... I'm down too. Just pray that the insurance market doesn't dry up in the next 5 years! :lol:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of semantics...... Since this is the Wizards we are talking about, we may only be conveying one of those 1st round swaps. If any.

The 2nd's suck but...... It's Brad effing Beal and he was worth it.

As far as the money..... I recommend we all remember that it wasn't our money in the first place. If Ishbia is down...... I'm down too. Just pray that the insurance market doesn't dry up in the next 5 years! :lol:
I don't care about the money, I care about the apron penalties that limit flexibility to add needed players. This new CBA really sucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22