Suns trade for Beal

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
An owner willing and able to spend is going to be great for us but I still believe we're due for some really bad years not too far down the road. Hopefully though Beal will still be a star level player long enough to minimize those bad years.

The future does look rough. I suspect the thinking is, if we can't win in the next 2-3 years, we will be in full rebuild mode, including trading Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The future does look rough. I suspect the thinking is, if we can't win in the next 2-3 years, we will be in full rebuild mode, including trading Booker.

We'll know how Washington fans felt also being stuck with Beal and his No Trade Clause.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the future does look rough but there is a little bit of hope now IMO.

The KD trade put us in serious jeopardy of a horrible stretch for much of the next decade with the idea/dream that we could win it all this year or maybe next year. So, once KD really declines that likely leaves 5 to 8 highly problematic seasons. But that was before the Beal deal. Bradley is injury prone, another risk we just don't need, but a healthy version of him could extend our relevance and greatly reduce our down years. And if we enjoy better than expected health, we won't need to trade Devin to start our rebuild.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the future does look rough but there is a little bit of hope now IMO.

The KD trade put us in serious jeopardy of a horrible stretch for much of the next decade with the idea/dream that we could win it all this year or maybe next year. So, once KD really declines that likely leaves 5 to 8 highly problematic seasons. But that was before the Beal deal. Bradley is injury prone, another risk we just don't need, but a healthy version of him could extend our relevance and greatly reduce our down years. And if we enjoy better than expected health, we won't need to trade Devin to start our rebuild.
I was a bit more optimistic because we still have 1st round picks every other year but Beal does change everything IMO if he stays healthy. I think this was the Suns looking beyond KD.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was a bit more optimistic because we still have 1st round picks every other year but Beal does change everything IMO if he stays healthy. I think this was the Suns looking beyond KD.
Beal's and Booker's contracts end the same time. So this gives Book a weapon beyond KD. As you said we still have first round picks, will be developing guys in G League, and this year looks like we are using our Summer League as a mini G League to see if we want to sign any of these guys, plus free agency has not started and almost everyone is saying vet min guys have Phoenix listed as their first destination. We will resign some guys we had last year, too. I have no worries we will be filling out that roster. Can't wait to see what Vogel does with Toumani Camara. Guy looks legit as a defender.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not an option. We can't blow up the team and start from scratch when we don't control our own picks. They've got to do whatever they can to stay in the mix until 2031.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not an option. We can't blow up the team and start from scratch when we don't control our own picks. They've got to do whatever they can to stay in the mix until 2031.

We also can't deal Beal for much of a return, as seen this off-season. His NTC is in effect through the duration of his extension.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We also can't deal Beal for much of a return, as seen this off-season. His NTC is in effect through the duration of his extension.
We are trading for a player in his prime, probably wouldn't be trying to trade him in four years anyway.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw some questions of what number Beal would wear, he'll be #3 as a Sun. Continuing the lineage Ariza started when he signed. He was dealt for Oubre (#3), who was traded for Paul (#3), who brought us Beal in a trade.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure we can. Trade players for picks. Picks with swaps can be traded as well.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question for the cap experts:

How were the Suns able to trade for Beal?

During the KD rumors I recall there being a lot of talk about teams not being able to trade for 2 supermax players which was preventing Brooklyn from being able to trade with Miami for Bam because they already had traded for Simmons who is on the super max.

How were we able to trade for Beal when we already traded for KD? Is it because it only applies to the rookie super max extension or is it because Durant is technically not on a super max or something?

Thanks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question for the cap experts:

How were the Suns able to trade for Beal?

During the KD rumors I recall there being a lot of talk about teams not being able to trade for 2 supermax players which was preventing Brooklyn from being able to trade with Miami for Bam because they already had traded for Simmons who is on the super max.

How were we able to trade for Beal when we already traded for KD? Is it because it only applies to the rookie super max extension or is it because Durant is technically not on a super max or something?

Thanks.

It has to do with Designated Rookie Max Extensions. I believe they've been eliminated from the new CBA. Before a team could only have 2 at a time but now Beal and KD are longer on their Rookie Max Extensions. Those were deals signed after rookie deals. Those 5 years created issues around the league and it won't be an issue any longer.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He gets much more tradeable the closer his contract gets to concluding - CP3 being able to be moved is an example.

Basically we just have to think of the team being locked in for the next 3 years, but after that KD and Ayton's deals expire, and Beal is tradeable. As long as Phoenix can remain attractive to free agents we aren't totally screwed even without our picks. Now of course to do that will probably require a fair amount of success.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He gets much more tradeable the closer his contract gets to concluding - CP3 being able to be moved is an example.

Basically we just have to think of the team being locked in for the next 3 years, but after that KD and Ayton's deals expire, and Beal is tradeable. As long as Phoenix can remain attractive to free agents we aren't totally screwed even without our picks. Now of course to do that will probably require a fair amount of success.
Beal will be harder to deal because of his no trade clause. I suppose it's not that he will be hard to move, but that we likely won't get any value in return.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beal's injury risks and possible decline, his contract (length and dollars), his no trade clause and Phoenix being his destination of choice created an opportunity that won't often be repeated (if at all).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Beal's injury risks and possible decline, his contract (length and dollars), his no trade clause and Phoenix being his destination of choice created an opportunity that won't often be repeated (if at all).
True. But cp3’s contract was traded not once, but twice within a short span of time. The no trade clause is the big sticker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But cp3’s contract was traded not once, but twice within a short span of time. The no trade clause is the big sticker.
It is, and the timing. I'm not so sure that contract will have the same appeal after everything kicks in with the new CBA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It is, and the timing. I'm not so sure that contract will have the same appeal after everything kicks in with the new CBA.
It will when it is getting ready to expire. Though it means we would be taking back multi year contracts that add up to Beal's contract anyways.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of disrespectfull in my view to throw Shamet into the thank you to CP3.

Kind of like saying, we want to thank Abraham Lincoln and Joe Schmoe for their contributions in the emancipation of the slaves.
Nah Shamet doesn’t deserve a personalized message he’s been stealing from us for long enough good riddance!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22