Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Clippers got a pretty sweet deal. They landed two really talented shooters in Reddick and Dudley and they unloaded a contract that was going to hurt them with the tax. Bledsoe could be every bit as good as people on this board are hoping he is and that would still be a solid trade from the Clippers end. They are not rebuilding, future draft picks, ect dont help them. They are at the stage where they're a contender that needs to fill in holes and get guys who know how to play key roles on a good team. They got exactly that and at positions they needed help.

The team in this trade who I cant comprehend their thinking is the Bucks. They overpaid in trade value to get JJ in the first place and now they give him away for some 2nd round picks. Awful.
Lol apparently everyone's raving about the Clippers getting Reddick the most.

What I don't understand is how the Bucks handed the Clippers the supposedly better player, but the Suns came away with the better asset.

A lot of people in the media are saying that this is a steal for the Suns...I sure hope Stern doesn't veto this or anything on his way to retirement.

Reaction score
+1000

Some are so hung up on next year's draft. Some teams have been bottom dwellers for years and no championship to show for being in the lottery year after year.

I like Dudley but this is too good a trade to pass up and i do think it makes us better, just not good enough.
Now, If only McD can find a way to get rid of Beastley and Brown........

The one thing I would say about all those bottom dwelling teams is they didn't get lucky they didn't land Rose they didn't land Durant and you can put Wall in that category now( took him a few years but he got there) And just think Wiggins is projected to be better than them All including Durant. So I'd say next years draft is a little different because you just don't get that type of talent coming out ever year I'm just hoping we get a Top 5 pick not necessary tanking no sense in losing 60+ games in hope you get Wiggins. All they have to do is play the young guys(outside of Gortat and Dragic) and everything else will take care of its self.

Really I wouldn't be all that shocked if we won 18 games or 40 games just look at the impact Lillard had last year. Adding Bledsoe as a playmaker alone along with Dragic could really help Marcin get back to that 15-10 guy Frye spacing the Floor and some solid play from Len its really hard to gauge what we might be right now like for one I think Goodwin's game easily translates to the NBA right now and not in 3-4 years at the two guard spot he would have an advanced ball handle already for a 2 and really reminds me of a more athletic Tyreke Evans as a scorer( not the playmaker yet).

Reaction score
Lol apparently everyone's raving about the Clippers getting Reddick the most.

What I don't understand is how the Bucks handed the Clippers the supposedly better player, but the Suns came away with the better asset.

A lot of people in the media are saying that this is a steal for the Suns...I sure hope Stern doesn't veto this or anything on his way to retirement.

I don't get the bad part of the deal for the bucks either Reddick was going to walk anyway. The bucks aren't contending next year and probably not the year after so why pay him 7 mil a year if he even wanted to stay. I think it was a win win for everyone. And its no guarantee Bledsoe is the star everybody thinks he is( I do hope so though) he was only a 14-5-5 guy as a starter not all that great but considering he's basicly replacing Brown as the SG I'd still rate it as a upgrade offensively and a huge upgrade defensively.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Just got home, turned on ESPN, saw the headline and thought "Damn, we just traded at least two future first round picks.". Hard to believe that we got a PG with incredible potential, a solid scorer at the 3 and did not give up a first rounder!

I will miss Dudley, though. He and Dragic were the last reminders of that fantastic 2010 season. His team- oriented play and high work ethic will benefit the Clippers. Good luck to him!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get the bad part of the deal for the bucks either Reddick was going to walk anyway. The bucks aren't contending next year and probably not the year after so why pay him 7 mil a year if he even wanted to stay. I think it was a win win for everyone. And its no guarantee Bledsoe is the star everybody thinks he is( I do hope so though) he was only a 14-5-5 guy as a starter not all that great but considering he's basicly replacing Brown as the SG I'd still rate it as a upgrade offensively and a huge upgrade defensively.
Yea considering what the Bucks gave up to get Redick at the trade deadline just this past year, its horrible. They gave up Tobias Harris for Reddick. And now they just gave away Reddick for 2 second round picks. So basically they traded away Harris for two 2nd rd picks?

In the meantime, Harris is playing very well for Orlando.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Although there are surely more moves to be made,i do like the potential of a Goran/Bledsoe backcourt. Offensively me thinks they'll be severely challenged to develop an identity, but they'll be hard to run around and get scored upon IMO.

I'm happy for Duds...i hope he's a part of many W's next season.

Gortat HAS to be the next guy to go...right?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think Dragic needs to go, bundle him with Scola or Beasley for an expiring and picks or a young talent.
Imo Dragic is just not a shooting guard, inconsistent shooter and playing Dragic at the 2 will make it that much harder for Goodwin to compete for playing time. I would like to think that Bledsoe/Goodwin can be our backcourt of the future.

I would love for us to acquire Evan Turner somehow and put him at the 2 or 3 spot.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Although there are surely more moves to be made,i do like the potential of a Goran/Bledsoe backcourt. Offensively me thinks they'll be severely challenged to develop an identity, but they'll be hard to run around and get scored upon IMO.

I'm happy for Duds...i hope he's a part of many W's next season.

Gortat HAS to be the next guy to go...right?
Either him or Scola. But since McD seemed so confident that their not gonna trade Gortat, I'm gonna assume that they won't move Gortat anytime soon. Imo that's the wrong decision but I'm willing to give McD the benefit of the doubt especially after he pulled off something like this.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of you holding out hope the Suns tank 2014 for Wiggins obviously are oblivious to the Suns' curse. If the Suns tank any number of scenarios will happen:

- New commish will institute coin flip
- Another team will find a way to tank even more
- Wiggins will decide to stay in school another year
- Wiggins will become obsessed with donuts
- Earth will be hit by asteroid
- Jesus returns -- wearing a Spurs jersey
- All time, space folds inwards at the mention of the Suns landing the top pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
All of you holding out hope the Suns tank 2014 for Wiggins obviously are oblivious to the Suns' curse. If the Suns tank any number of scenarios will happen:

- New commish will institute coin flip
- Another team will find a way to tank even more
- Wiggins will decide to stay in school another year
- Wiggins will become obsessed with donuts
- Earth will be hit by asteroid
- Jesus returns -- wearing a Spurs jersey
- All time, space folds inwards at the mention of the Suns landing the top pick.

Who cares, Wiggins is not the only prize in next years draft class.

Getting a top 5 pick, better yet top 3, next year will be huge.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who cares, Wiggins is not the only prize in next years draft class.

Getting a top 5 pick, better yet top 3, next year will be huge.

yep could be 4 franchise players, i.e. aaron gordon is supposed to be the next blake griffin. i'm perfectly happy going 18-64 next year.

being absolutely terrible next year is the best way to become a contender sometime again.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wiggins isn't just the prize next year.

For Suns... Missing player is a sharp shooting perimeter player who can be a volume scorer from the outside and mid range...
James Young is a candidate... Jabari Parker is very versatile too...

Suns have the athletic, attack first type players in Bledsoe, Goodwin... and currently play makers in Dragic and Marshall.. Missing the go to guy shooter.

Although I wouldn't a two way PF to pair with Len inside also... Randle and Len could be an excellent tandem.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah, we're the goofy looking guy at the party. We can't afford to turn down the 2nd cutest girl in the room on the very slim chance the best looking lady is interested in us.

Steve
How true! The goofy looking guy at the party should be pleased to get the 2nd cutest girl. That's success.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You all watch, we will be contending for an 8th seed in the playoffs. And the board will be blowing up.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You all watch, we will be contending for an 8th seed in the playoffs. And the board will be blowing up.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

we will be last in the West, where we should be.

2015/2016 is the turnaround season so sign top tier free agents to surround Bledsoe, Goodwin, Len, 2014 and 2015 picks.

If Bledsoe picks a decent number (thankfully #0 is out of the picture) I might buy a Suns jersey for the first time in 10 years especially if we get jerseys similiar to the black throwback sunburst jerseys.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really like the Bledsoe trade but the last time I watched him play he didn't really look ready to run a team full time. I don't see him or Len making us much better this first season. If we are contending for a playoff spot, IMO, it will be because the Beasley experiment is over. It will also probably mean that we went mostly with the vets instead of giving Bledsoe, Len, Goodwin, Oriakhi and any other young players heavy minutes.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Anyone see the Suns trying to make a move for Afflalo?

Orlando really wanted Bledsoe, right? And I heard they were offering Afflalo.

I'd really, REALLY hate to trade Dragic. But a Dragic / Afflalo swap makes sense. Orlando gets a real PG and the Suns get a pure shooter who can defend. Seems like the perfect fit for what McDonough is trying to do.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
And I clearly said that in my post as well. Thanks for reading though.

And Harden absolutely was a risk. A lot of people out there felt that Harden only did good because the defense focused on Westbrook and Durant so much and that Harden only does well coming off the bench in limited minutes and such.

Hell, there were people HERE ON THIS FORUM that did not want the Suns to trade Gortat, Dudley and picks for Harden. If Harden was such a lock then I'm sure that people wouldn't have minded the Suns trading away their first round picks for the next 2-4 years to get a guy like Harden.

I would have 100% traded Gortat, Dudley, this years 1st round pick unprotected & a future top 10 protected for Harden. Hell, maybe just top 5 protected.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I find it unlikely that the Suns are looking to move Dragic right now. They'll see how Bledsoe/Dragic work together and if Bledsoe breaks out, then you look to move Dragic.

Of course, you can probably get more for Dragic now then if you waited for Bledsoe to break out and it was apparent you didn't need Dragic. But moving Dragic now is pretty risky if Bledsoe doesn't work out as a primary ball handler.

Ad for those worried about McD keeping Gortat, don't. That's called maintaining Gortats value. McD would be a fool to come out and say " yah we got Len, seems Marcin!" Clearly the Suns didn't get what they cosnidered a good value for Gortat on draft night and will likely wait to move him mid season, which is fine.

Lets just hope Scola and Gortat are moved before they help us win too many games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone see the Suns trying to make a move for Afflalo?

Orlando really wanted Bledsoe, right? And I heard they were offering Afflalo.

I'd really, REALLY hate to trade Dragic. But a Dragic / Afflalo swap makes sense. Orlando gets a real PG and the Suns get a pure shooter who can defend. Seems like the perfect fit for what McDonough is trying to do.

I think two reasons. First, Afflalo is not a significantly better shooter than Goran (only about 2-3% better in each category over their careers) and 2. Goran is more of a pg than Bledsoe.

I think the two of them together is a better option.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scola should be the first to be moved. If we can get any asset for him, its a total win. We did not have to give up anything to get him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding how most of this board was trumpeting Dragic as the franchise's point guard of the future just a year ago, and now that the Suns have acquired an intriguing but flawed backup prospect, there's a big push to give Dragic away.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake